Topic

Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

The MacPac Microlight is one of the solo tents of choice by the locals in SW Tasmania, while it has condensation problems and is not suitable for heavy snow, it can handle strong winds and heavy rain.

Tony

Willem Jongman

@willem

Roger, which adapter are you using to use the Camping Gaz valved cannisters on a Primus/Snowpeak etc stove? The Markill adapter that I know is listed as 75 gram. I know the Primus etc cannisters are virtually impossible to get in France. But France is so nice… The MSR multivalve stove has had a mixed reception. There is apparantly also a new Primus multistandard stove. But an adapter allows for a far wider stove choice, of course.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Willem

Well … it's one I made myself. Designing and making canister stoves from scratch seems to be my latest MYOG thing. :-) You may remember this pic appeared some time ago on one of the Forum channels:
    Field test of Snow Peak 23

I took this stove to Switzerland this year for 6 weeks. It worked OK, and uses the multi-canister adaptor. There is a safety valve in the adapter on the canister which actually opens and closes the Lindal valve, and a control valve right behind the jet for instant fine control of the flame.

But the design of the stove shown here is not what I am aiming at, as it uses a Snow Peak burner. My goal is to make a remote canister liquid-feed stove entirely from raw materials. I just haven't finished refining the design yet. Mind you, I have had to learnt an awful lot about how these things work inside in the process.

Cheers
    PS: I think you mean Powermax, not Primus?

Willem Jongman

@willem

No I mean Primus, i.e. the normal valved cannister one finds everywhere else.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

"The MSR multivalve stove has had a mixed reception." Willem, I didn't know that! I've had an MSR Superfly for many years and it has always worked well. As it's not the lightest stove I only use it on European hikes where I can't be sure of finding Lindahl valve canisters. I last used it on the GR20 on Corsica (a highly recommended route) where Campingaz CV canisters where the only ones available.

Patagonia Community

@patagoniacommunity

Just stumbled upon BPL and have enjoyed reading insights from folks out there. I love the "shelf-life" of forum boards–this one started in 2007–wow!

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!