Topic

Sleeping Pad for Kid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Pad for Kid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My oldest daughter, age 11, will be going on some of my backpacking trips this summer. I am looking to keep her gear as light as possible. She is 4'11" and growing fast and is 70lbs. I have some good CCF pad options, but I was wondering what kind of inflatable options might work. I am trying to balance cost (in case she doesn't take to the longer trips) with light weight. For example, I don't see shelling out for the latest NeoAir, but I want her comfortable. Suggestions for a kid? Thanks!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Look at the Thermarest Women's ProLite. Light and will last as she grows. Plenty of comfort.

Bargain method: Cut down a RidgeRest or Z-Lite. Use the left-over pad for two sit pads.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I use the Montbell U.L.COMFORT SYSTEM PAD 90 with my 8 year old http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124407.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

My 7 year old sleeps on a cut down ridgerest. He seems pretty happy, once he's out, he's out.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

My son's been using a Thermarest ZLite for 5 years and says he's perfectly comfortable, even on really hard/rocky ground. Our trips are typically 4-6 days. He's now 14, weighs 100lb, and I recently bought him a NeoAir XLite.

Imo, I wouldn't get her a heavy inflatable over a light CCF pad. The woman's prolite suggestion is a good one — I used one just until last year myself. They're easy to inflate (MUCH easier, imo, than the air mattresses), warm and comfortable. For lighter people, I think it's more comfortable than the NeoAir types.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I have been backpacking now for over 6 years with four of my granddaughters on extended trips of over 9 – 11 days. The younger ladies (presently 10 & 11 yr of age) use Original Z Liteâ„¢, AND the older (presently both 13 years of age) Original RidgeRest. Never had any comments about the sleeping variable we have set up EXCEPT….. "Grandpa can't we sleep in more on these trips?" I've never had an issue with sleeping pads even with my boys (they started bp at ages 4, 6, &8…now in their 40's) when we were out hiking the trails in the USA and Alaska.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

I just ended up getting a NeoAir All Season for the kid (7yo, 52") because it comes in "medium" (66") and was cheaper than the WR Xlite. Not bad at 1#-2#, Xlite would save 4 oz. though.

-Mark in St. Louis

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Our son, just under 80lb, has been using either an inflatable REI "thermarest knock off" or a Ridgerest for several years. He much prefers the Ridgerest: it's lighter, takes zero time to inflate or roll up and is very comfortable at his weight (as folks under 175lb all seem to say).

However, if he could replace it, he'd get a Z-lite: it's nearly as light, works great folded as a seat and folds much faster and to smaller than the Ridgerest. I agree with him and suggest you look at that pad for your daughter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools