Topic

Underquilt or Pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Underquilt or Pad?

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm a fan of UQs, not a fan of pads at all. I sweat too much and the 2 times I used a pad my legs were in a small puddle by morning.

As far a UQ clips, I like the JRB clips. Small, light carabiners on each end of a shock cord. Work great.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Steve,

I've had my Summer Breeze UQ from Tewa down to 31 degrees and was comfortable, but I will note that it was an early April night in PA mountains without any wind. My top quilts have a nice footbox and I find that I don't compress the insulation under my feet so having a short UQ doesn't hurt me.

Lapsley Hope

@laps

Tried a pad, didn't like it. Underquilts just work better.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

If using a bridge hammock, pads work very well. I like the NeoAir and Exped UL Synmat, both are the largest size, about 25" wide. I use them with the WBRR and other bridge hammocks. I also own 3 Warbonnet Lynx UQs, and I love the fit and comfort.

Currently, I am more likely to bring a pad. The advantages for me are that I remain sleeping on my back with only minor adjustments towards side sleeping. In any other sleeping arrangement, I toss over to both sides, and over on to my stomach, and alternately curl into a tucked position. I sleep sounder and less interrupted on my pad.

Also there is the wind factor. Bridge hammocks spreader bars make tarp set up wider, allowing strong winds to blow under and steal the warmth from the UQ. That does not happen when the hammock has a full length pad in it. I can also set my bridge up lower to the undergrowth if I don't have an UQ that I need to protect. Of course, I could get a tarp that is larger than the HG hex that I am now using.

On the downside, there can be condensation, and the pad does not feel as nice against my skin as the hammock (The Exped is OK, but the NeoAir fels a little "plasticy"). Anyway, that is my opinion, and I have spent many years of hammock hanging dialing it in.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Regarding Te-wa, Are they still in business?

Their website has been severely broken for several months.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I just received a Breeze and a Freeze with 2oz over fill from Te-wa. Had some M50 shipped to him from Thru-hiker and he made the quilts from this material. Great workmanship and good service.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I recently changed to a system that is a combination blow up 3/4 pad(Klymit Inertia X Wave), 1/8" full length Evazote pad and a full length underquilt.

I wanted to be covered on those rare nights when I have to go to ground.

Combining the pads with the underquilt allows me to carry a lighter underquilt.
    Overall the weight is two ounces more than a warmer underquilt alone.

I will admit that the 1/8" Evazote and Klymit pad aren't going to be warm enough for cold weather on the ground. It's hard to keep the weight down and still be covered.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

An update,

I decided to cancel the sleeping pad idea.

The Klymet pad failed/popped the first time I tried it:-(
    Probably a defect in manufacturing.

Other pads are too heavy and/or bulky.

I tried to supplemented my under quilt with just the 1/4 Evazote pad on one night.

This reminded my why I don't like foam pads in a hammock.

It's not that they don't work or are uncomfortable, but they don't breath and trap moisture. I always wake with a bit of dampness on my back.

I could remedy this in very cold weather by using a VBL, but it wasn't cold enough for that.

I've decided to just stick with the 30 degree f underquilt for the hammock and use my WB Traveler sock and/or extra clothing if the temps are going to be well below freezing.

I did actually test using my underquilt as a ground sleeping pad and although it didn't work great, it was far superior to sleeping on the 1/4" pad alone.

If I should have to go to ground, the combination of good site selection, my underquilt and some gathered duff under my ground cloth will have to do.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Steven, try the undercover concept. You can't test it by rigging a painters drop cloth or any light plastic or cloth below your underquilt. Simply gather the ends and hang it from the hammock suspension. It will work just like a windshirt.

You can add a space blanket between the hammock and underquilt for more warmth as well.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Dale,

Thanks, yes I already use an underquilt protector, but in the form of a WB Traveler Sock.

It does add significant comfort on cold nights and does extend my 30 degree UQ and TQ to below 20.

The only reason I was bringing the closed cell pad was for those rare cases where I have to go to ground. SO since I was bringing it anyway, I just wanted to see about it adding warmth when I'm hanging.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Steven, try the undercover concept."

This might be of some help: http://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/diy-jacks-r-better-weather-shield/

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I highly agree with the concept of a sock, top and/or bottom cover.

But one big mistake that most people make is when the use a cover that is made of a material that is not highly breathable and in the case of a top cover or sock, it must have a vent near the top.

Condensation can be problem if not.

I know my sock is highly breathable and I do always sleep with the top vented and so I never have problems with condensation, but I wonder if the dryducks material is breathable enough?
    I suspect it is, but can't help but think that ripstop would be a better material?

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I assume the condensation is a problem due to using a quilt and laying on the pad directly?

Still not sure why I can sleep on a pad on the ground and never experience condensation but it always comes up in a hammock setting when pads are mentioned…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Good point.

I never experience the dampness when ground camping on a pad, but do, but only slightly, when I use a pad in a hammock with an under-quilt in cold weather.
    Others have the same experience.

It has be related to the level of ventilation around the pad and/or the fact that the pad becomes cupped in a hammock.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

UQ full length for winter and 3/4 length for the other 3 seasons. My 40 degree 3/4 Hammock Gear UQ kept me toasty at 34 and I was ok at 28.

Tommy M
    BPL Member

@pipswich

I have been rigging a DIY underquilt until I buy one from HG.  I tried a pad extender as I have broad shoulders.  I hate keeping track of an extra piece of gear.  I hate the slight extra pressure along the side of my arms.  I hate the idea that I am hauling extra weight when I can stuff some extra clothes around my shoulder and get by, lol.  I plan to buy an uq that is rated 40* lower than I will normally “need” and adjust my top quilt/blanket/sleeping gear as needed to manage the temps.  I don’t drink alcohol when camping, go to bed when it is dark and don’t like to get out of the hammock until day break.  So, it only takes two nights before I am going to end up with too much sleep and I will end up fidgety, getting up to find a tree, etc.   I like the idea of a pad being lightweight and useful on the ground, but after a day or so I don’t seem to have much trouble sleeping directly on a tent groundcloth so I am definitely an UQ guy.

Mark Armesto
    BPL Member

@marmesto

UQ.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools