Topic

Lightweight Stove for India

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Stove for India

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Colin Briggs
    BPL Member

@colinpbriggs

Locale: Melbourne Australia

I'm looking for a lightweight stove to take trekking in Northern India. The only fuel that is readily avaliable in Northern India is Kerosine, can't carry any fuel on the plane so I have to buy locally. Any sugestions???

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

The MSR Whisperlight International would be my choice. They'll burn most any fuel you put in them. They'll burn Gasoline, Kerosene, Diesel, Stoddard's Solvent, etc… There are several other brands but MSR is the standard of excellence IMHO. You migh try to find a source of alcohol to pre-heat the stove. Kerosene burns very poorly until the stove generator tube heats up and the fuel vaporizes.

Tell us more about your India adventure. It sounds like a super trip. I have a friend who had traveled to India several times and he says the northern highlands are the most pleasant.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Check out Lonely Planet's travel forum: The Thorn Tree. There's a branch devoted to India — and I'm pretty sure you'll find location-specific answers there. Have a fun trip!

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I'd look at something like the Trangia Mini – you should be able to get Denatured alcohol (probably called Methelated Spirits or something like that in india).

If you want something more serious then one of the multi-fuel (essentially white gas) stoves may be appropriate.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Colin, I took a whisperlite and burned kerosene. I also found white gas here and there. They also have propane/butane stuff in mainland india, so maybe some in the trekking areas too. One of the main cooking stoves used by villagers is propane based. So there is lots of that around.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Second the trangia stove!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I recommend any of the Coleman multi fuel stoves. I carried one for 1 1/2 years in Korea and burned everything from JP-4 (basically kerosene), gas, unleaded gas, white fuel.. almost anything except soju (if you don't know what that is.. good for you!). I'm afraid Bill might have personal knowledge of that 'fuel'..

This seems to be the lightest multi fuel stove from Coleman right now..
    http://www.dsmiller.com/html/Camping-Equipment-Outdoors-Multi-Fuel-9770-A25.htm

Don't go to the following link unless you like the smell of formaldeyhde (think dissecting frogs) and might find its equivalent in India..
    http://www.jinro.co.kr/english/main.asp

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

The thing about the fyrestorm is that it won't burn Kerosene/Diesel/Jet fuel. It's not truly multi-fuel. See Dr. Caffin's review:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_fyrestorm_ti_stove_review.html

Multifuel stoves on the market include the Primus Omnifuel, the MSR XGK and Whisperlite Internationale, and the Brunton/Optimus Nova Plus. The Primus is the most versatile of this group as it will burn canister fuel as well. It is also, however, the heaviest! (It weighs more than a pound with the pump!)

The Whisperlite Internationale is an old standby, neither highly revered nor hated. The Brunton gets high marks from many. Because it's a true "expedition" (=bombproof) stove, and because it simmers (whereas the XGK struggles with that) it may be your best choice.

Brian

EDIT: PS there's also the recently-released Brunton Vapor AF. It is the only other stove (aside from Primus Omnifuel) that will burn all liquid fuels (except alcohol of course) PLUS canister gas. While I'm sure that Brunton tests the heck out of their stoves, I still wouldn't like to buy a stove for an expedition that hadn't been on the market and in the field for a couple of years. But that's just me.

So to simplify:

Primus

Multifuel………..white gas, gasoline, canister fuel
    *Omnifuel………white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel, canister fuel

Brunton (/Optimus)

Nova……………..white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel
    Nova+……………white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel
    *Vapor AF………white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel, canister fuel

MSR

XGK……………….white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel
    *Dragonfly……….white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel
    Whisperlite……..white gas, gasoline
    Whisperlite Int…white gas, gasoline, kerosene, diesel, jet fuel

* = the stoves with a star have a dual-valve system so that they simmer nicely. The Omnifuel and Vapor AF burn the widest range of fuels out there. I've read about the Primus Omnifuel being run on drycleaning fluid and also pure Benzene. (Do this and die early, mind you!)

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I agree that the Optimus Nova is a bombproof stove. I have used it in all sorts of conditions and not had any problems. It simmers like a champ, will burn lots of fuel types, and it is easy to maintain/use. Great stove for your type of trip.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Brian, you are right and I stand corrected. My coleman was the true Multi Fuel version which does burn K.
    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=550B725&categoryid=2005

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The MSR Dragonfly is a TRUE multifuel stove.

It has the lowest simmer capability of any liquid fuel stove I know of. This simmer ability saves fuel.

MSR Whisperlite stoves do not simmer!

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

We used an XGK and a Dragonfly on a 2 month trip in Ladakh- Kashimr burning Kerosene. No problems
    Bring a small filter of some sort for filling fuel bottles.
    Fuel is cheap and abundant.

The wisperlite international would work fine too.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Roger that; I didn't realize that the Dragonfly burned kero.

I've updated the table above.

Joshua Burt

@idroptapul

Locale: The Smokies

Learned this from a NOLS instructor: At warmer temps and using white gas you can get a decent simmer from a whisperlite. First, make sure your stove is running free and clear. Get the stove primed and heated up as per usual. Let all the fuel in the priming cup burn off then open the fuel bottle and release the pressure. Close the bottle and give it just 3 or 4 pumps. Relight the stove and it'll burn soft and low indefinitely. It'll even give you a nice "whisper" instead of the familiar jet engine roar.

Clinton Ohlers

@rcohlers

Locale: Eastern PA

Colin (or anyone),

A little off topic, but what is your water treatment going to be?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools