Topic

Katabatic Palisade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabatic Palisade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Does anyone have an opinion on how a Wide Palisade with 3oz of overfill would work for a week on the JMT at high elevation the last week of September?

Thanks

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I would expect overnight lows at that time could reach 20 on the low end. A 30 Katabatic quilt (True to their ratings as I have experienced) would work if you had good insulating layers to add to the mix. My guess is you would want a down parka of some sort anyway at that time of year so I think you could make that work to extend the warmth a bit.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

With a bivy I have taken my Palisade in a VERY windy joshua tree night. Aaron is very conservative with the rating and it is probably accurate without clothes or a bivy in no wind. I am taking mine on a section of the JMT in August and it should be fine if the weather is similar to the High Sierra Trail last year.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Aaron's temperature ratings are conservative. Look at all the new 32ΒΊ bags coming out with 10oz of down in them – Aaron sticks that much in a quilt for lofty, warm, gooey, goodness.

My Palisade is my favorite bag/quilt I've laid eyes on.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Mine has 3 oz of overfill, bringing the total down fill to 14.3 oz in a Wide Palisade. I am hoping for 20 degrees with some down socks and some warmer sleep clothes.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've taken four, week long, last week of September High Sierra trips. I'd encourage you to plan for lows as low as 15 degrees above 12,000ft.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Seems like I will need a new bag then. 15 degrees is probably stretching my bag too far. That is too bad, because I have 2 bags now that cover 100% of my typical trips.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Is your palisade a long? I have a Sawatch Long that i'd consider trading..

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

No, regular length wide version.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I wouldn't buy a new bag just because 15 is a possibility (or even likelihood). With a parka & 3oz overfill I bet you'd be fine. If you get a little cold, do some pushups and cram some trailmix. Being a touch cold for one night is preferable to spending hundreds extra for another bag IMO.

Another thing you could do is shake the down toward the center of the bag and cinch it tighter around you. Should be close to as warm as the sawatch that way (14.6 vs. 15oz down)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools