Topic

MYOG KILT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG KILT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay Reed

@sleeveless9

Looking to fabricate a kilt for a thru-hike. Since my options are limitless, any good ideas? One for cold weather, one for warm? Mainly curious about fabric (possibly Supplex?) but feature ideas would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

I would say make one out of a light weight quick drying nylon for warm weather. And carry a pair of light weight wind pants for colder weather.

I used a Brown Mountain hardware Kilt for a month during an AT thru. The material was heavier and thicker, when it rained it absorbed a lot of water and really weighed me down. I stopped wearing it because of this issue and the fact the pocket was lower down on the leg and if anything was in there it would swing quite a bit, wished it was higher up. In subsequent years I believe they used a lighter material.

Ideally I would want light weight quick drying nylon that came in a red and blue plaid pattern. That way it would look like an authentic kilt and not just a brown skirt.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Get a Sportkilt hiker or Stillwater thrifty kilt. Both are pretty cheap and are great choices.YMMV.

M

Jay Reed

@sleeveless9

Any thoughts on Pertex or Supplex. I would prefer a solid color (I actually like the look of that Mountain Hardwear brown) because I am not Scottish and don't want to pose. How about a waistband that is very tall to go under and be held up by the backpack waistbelt?

I looked at the Sportkilt hiker but am unsure as to the fabric choice. It is described as microfiber which I am not sold on. Water absorbtion issues with that one? Also, I think it could be lighter with Pertex or Supplex. I am not very knowledgable when it comes to these fabric choices though. Any thoughts?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

One thought: do you really want to be wearing such a light kilt when the wind picks up? Sometimes a little weight might help, that's why kilt pins were invented. In my experience, the Sportkilt absorbs almost no water and feels almost too light sometimes. Very airy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools