Topic

Free beer anyone???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Free beer anyone???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Hi

I want to ligthen up on my Esbit based kitchen. My MSR titan cookpot weighs in at about 120 grams ~4 oz. I would like to replace it with a beercan pot.

I'm from The Netherlands, Heineken is a company from the Netherlands as well. Irronically, I can't get a 24 fl. oz Heineken can here in Holland. They also do not reply to my emails.

So here's my question: Is someone over there willing to buy a 24 oz beer can for me and ship it to Holland? I'll pay for the beer and the shipping, off course, you can drink the beer, my treat.

Who can help me?

Eins

Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

Locale: Michigan

Will do! actually, i just need an excuse to drink more beer, so if you just want to cover shipping that would be fine.

does it have to be heineken or will any 24 0z. beer can work? don't know if you're trying to build a stove and be a patriot or just build a stove…

Valentin Zill

@valentin-zill

Locale: Europe

Einstein X: That's what I wanted to do for a long time. But I live in Germany and have the same problem. So, anyone out there who wants to send me some (empty) 24oz beer cans? I'd prefer Heinekens, they look good. But I am open to other suggestions as well.

Valentin

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

I think 24oz is about the minimum i want to go in pot volume so basically any would do. However I want the Heineken because it has a wide base. I think the base of sth like a Fosters beer can is just too narrow for cooking efficiency.

I'm just trying to build a pot, but it is kinda nice to have a Heineken pot (although there are better beers here in NL)

Eins

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>does it have to be heineken or will any 24 0z. beer can work?

Not speaking for those who are requesting the cans, but if you haven't made a beer can pot, the Heineken can is much sturdier than other 24 oz beer cans due to slightly thicker aluminum and varied shape. It's a bit wider than other 24 oz cans so it has more bottom to expose to heat, and of course it is then a bit shorter and thus more stable. My Heine pot weighs 1.2 oz including the lid (cut with a safe can opener). I threw out my other beer can pots so I can't provide a weight comparison for a 'standard' beer can.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I have a Foster's pot that I trimmed the sloped top edge off of. It weight right at .75 oz without a foil lid. I would agree with Doug that it is a little on the thin side, its about the same as a standard soda can. I just got the pot the other day, so I can't comment on how efficient it is boiling water, but I plan on using it with a tealight stove, which should focus the flame enough for it to not be a problem.

Adam

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I have a Foster's pot that I trimmed the sloped top edge off of. It weight right at .75 oz without a foil lid.

Thanks for posting that. The weight of the 24oz Heine can wtihout lid is 1.0 oz, so there is about 1/4 oz penalty for the sturdier Heine can.

Speaking of Heineken pots, I thought this might be of interest. Below is a Heineken 12oz can pot (can bottom cut off) which contains a Fuzzy's Lil' Stove made from a Red Bull can (perfect fit with the top of the Heine can) glued with JB Weld into the bottom of another Heine 12oz can (to improve stability and make a sealable kit), foil windscreen, 2 fl oz fuel bottle, and room for several bouillon cubes. Total weight of pot, stove, windscreen and empty fuel bottle is 1.7 oz. I use a Spark-Lite to light the stove and a bandana to hold the pot, since you have to wait for the stove to burn out before removing the pot (or the stove might burn itself up). This doesn't take up much room in my lumbar pack, and it's great for making a warm drink during a break while skiing.

Heine 12oz

david chan

@davidc-1

Einstein, I had the same problem of not being able to buy the 24 oz. can in England, but Henry Shires very kindly sent me two "American" cans. When I looked at them more closely the following message was printed on them:
    "Brewed and canned by Heineken Brouwerijen B.V., Amsterdam, Holland. U.S.Importers: Heineken USA Inc. White Plains N.Y. Questions? Call 1-888-Heineken"

Can someone in the U.S. please phone this number and ask them for a phone number or email address in Holland which will actually be answered and prepared to supply these cans (full or empty) without them crossing the Atlantic twice first?

Valentin Zill

@valentin-zill

Locale: Europe

Thank y'all for posting advice on beer can pots.

What is the lightest Esbit stove, either commercially available o/homemade, that fits to a Heineken beer can pot?

Now, would anyone be so friendly and send me one or two empty cans? (And some Reese's Pieces Peanut Butter Cups, I love them, but they are so hard to find and expensive on this side of the Atlantic…)

Thank you very much in advance!

Valentin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools