Topic

Large Titanium Goat Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Large Titanium Goat Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I've done some searching on this site, and found a lot about the regular size being small, but what about the large?

I am tall and skinny (6'3", 155lbs) and want two get an Insul Mat Max Thermo 3/4, sleeping bag, and myself inside.

I am also curious about the optional net, how do you keep it off your face?

Thanks for any information.

Richard Haaser
    Spectator

@bonasus

I just received the Titanium Goat long bivy for Christmas. I have not used it as yet, but getting into it on the floor, it is long enough for me. I too am 6'3" tall, but heavier at 190. I tried it with a z-rest pad and Jacks R Better quilt. I ordered it with the bug mesh installed. It has plenty of depth for being suspended over your face, but I did not see any device on it for that purpose. The bivy itself does have a cord attached to suspend the material off of your face. Hope that helps.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Thanks for the feedback, would you say it's roomy with you and your bag/ pad inside? Did you go with dwr or epic? how do you plan to keep the netting off your face?
    Thanks again.

Richard Haaser
    Spectator

@bonasus

Greyson, I did find it roomy. I prefer to sleep on my stomach, with one knee splayed out to one side. I found it roomy enough for that, easily. I don't know, yet, how I will keep the netting off my face. I might ask my wife to sew a small loop tab onto it to suspend from the tarp as I would the outer cover. Hope that helps.
    Rich

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I've been looking at their bivy's myself, and had the same question. I emailed them about if there was a way to keep the netting away from the face and here is the response I got:

"Hi Tom,

Yes, on the bivy's we send out with bug net we add in a simple system
    to keep it all up off your face. A loop sewn to the top of the netting
    and a matching loop on the bivy hood. A removable bungee cord runs
    from the net through the loop on the bivy hood and can be attached to a
    cord running up to a branch, or pole, or tent, etc.

We're in the middle of doing some updates to the website. Hopefully
    we'll have a pic up soon that shows how it works.

Thanks for your interest in our bivys,
    DJ"

Hope that helps.

Tom

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

Richard, I just purchased one after Christmas and have not recieved it yet. Were you pleased with the quality of the product? It's pice is certainly nicer than the oware. Thanks

-Stephen

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Thanks for the info, their email address didn't work for me for some reason.
    I might have to order a large dwr with headnet if the sizing is right.

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

I've got the large Titanium Goat bivy with DWR fabric and netting. Both the hood and the netting have a grosgrain loop and cord that can be used to suspend them off of my face.

I think the T.G. bivy is well made and a very good value. I'm 6' 2", 205 lbs and a side sleeper. There is plenty of room in the large for me.

Dan

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Do you sleep with your pad inside or out of the bivy, I am a side-sleeper too and having the pad inside really limits that in my current set up.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

I'm a side/stomach sleeper also, at 5'9" and 225, so I have concerns in that regard as well. I turn a fair amount during the night, so I need some space!

Tom

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

I decided to give it a shot and ordered the DWR large with headnet.
    After recieving not one, but three responses to various emails, all within a half an hour from my messages, I am impressed with Titanium Goat.
    They said that they were slammed over Christmas, so I will be waiting for them to sew up a new one, but rest assured I will take pictures and give my impressions once I get it.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Good to see they were quick to respond to you. I sent my email at 12:30 in the morning, so I didn't expect anything for a few hours! I'll probably be ordering mine by the end of the month!

Tom

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

Greyson,

To answer your question, I sleep with the pad inside the Bivy. No problem with space.

Richard Haaser
    Spectator

@bonasus

I guess I need to go back and look closer at the headnet! In my defense, I had a house full of family and have not had the opportunity to examine it closely. I like dealing with the small cottage companies like Titanium Goat and Jacks R Better.

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Thanks to all of you who posted your comments. I stumbled across the Titanium Goat website last month as I was checking out the new BMW gear. Ti Goat seems to have the best deal out there for a lightweight breathable bivy. I could not believe the price after looking at BMW and Oware.

I have never used a bivy before and I was a little unsure about the sizing (Im 6'1" 185). I just ordered a size large and I can't wait to try it out.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The TiGoat web site suggests that the Large bivy is good for large people and winter bags. I'm a large person with a large winter bag, and I wonder if those of you with this bivy agree with their assessment.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and note that I emailed TiGoat last fall about having a side zipper added to the bivy, and they said they would be happy to do so.

–Ken

Andrepaul Michaud

@drdre

OP,

Did not grow up in IA, did you?

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Got the large DWR bivy in the mail today, and instantly stuffed my insul mat max compact long into it (20x78x2.5, fully inflated) and my MH Phantom 32 to take up as much room as I could.
    It still had enough room to not compress my sleeping bag while on my side, even with the bivy zipped up (which added tension to the bivy).
    So it looks like there is more than enough room for me, because I probably won't use the long fat pad inside it ever (I use the max compact for car camping and sleeping on friends floors).
    The headnet, loop, and elastic cord look like they will work well for bug protection, and gives plenty of bug-proof room.
    More information and pictures as I play with it more.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

I am looking forward to seeing those pictures. I got an email saying that mine shipped today.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

This is my first attempt at posting photos on bpl, so hopefully this works.

Titanium Goat large DWR bivy

Large DWR bivy with Insul Mat Max Thermo 3/4, blue foam under legs, and big heavy 15 degree mummy inside.

Bivy Hood

Hood detail, note loop for suspending hood section.

Bug hood

Bug hood, suspended with provided bungee cord.

bug hood 2

Bug hood folded over chest section.

Bottom is somewhere between royal blue and violet 1.1 oz/sq yard silnylon, and top is olive drab 1.1 dwr nylon. Stitching all looks nice.

I'll take requests for other shots of specific features, but pictures of a person in the bivy will be challenging; I live alone.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Great pics!

Now I want a video posted of you gettin' into the thing in the rain… ;)

LOL!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Could you post the weight? It looks great, did you get to choose the color? That seems like a strange combination of colors, but I guess its not necessarily a fashion show in the BC!

Adam

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

I don't have my own scale (I realize a cardinal sin around here), so I will have to get back to you on the weight.

I didn't get to choose the color, and while I like both colors, I agree its a funky combo. That being said, no complaints for the price.

As for a video in the rain, what do you take me for? Besides I only get snow up here in the Sierra.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

No harm in not having your own scale. I don't have one here with me at school either. I have make a list of things I need to weigh and do it when I go home.
    You might check the post office. They normally have scales that are free to use.

Adam

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Adam:

I just purchased the same bivy as Greyson (Size Large with bug mesh). I weighed it today on the scale at the local post office and it came in at exactly 8.0 oz including bungee cord and stuff sack.

Below is a picture of the stuffed bivy next to a 32 oz water bottle for size reference.
    stuffed bivy next to water bottle

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools