Topic

Platypus Platy Reservoir

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Platypus Platy Reservoir

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I purchased the 2L version of the reservoir, and the optional drinking tube. When I filled the reservoir and inverted it, it immediately leaked at the location where the diamond shaped plastic insert joins the neck of the bottle. This was a substantial leak which would drain the bottle in a few minutes. Evidently the plug was not sealed into the bag properly. I emailed Platypus about the problem.

I have a few of the 'Platy Bottles' which do not leak when inverted, but this is a review of the Reservoir, and therefore this product gets a '1' because it is unsuable for its intended purpose.

Edit. I returned the 2L reservoir, and purchased an identical replacement. When I inverted it, the bottle with the OEM cap did not leak. However, it leaked when I connected the OEM hydration tube to the mouth of the reservoir. I seated the cap carefully and tightly, but not too tight so as to distort the plastic threads. Inverted it in my pack and left it for a few hours. When I returned the bladder had leaked about 100ml. Not acceptable in my opinion.
    I use Platypus bladders only in the upright position now, and carry a Nalgene soft canteen for my second bottle.
    I am continuing my search for a light weight hydration tube system.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

I use the 4L Big Zip as my in camp water supply and for carting extra water through dry stretches (here in south Texas, the whole hike is typically a "dry stretch"). While I find the cap angle (the diamond-shaped plug described above) a little annoying and bulky when the tank is collapsed and stored, I've never had a leak. I don't see the opening as a failure point as much as any creases formed by repeated folding.

I don't personally use the tank with a hydration tube, but one of my hiking buddies (my uncle, actually) has done so for several years and has never experienced a failure or a leak.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

The dedicated hydration systems by Platypus are more reliable than the "retrofit" of the resevoir into one. The Big Zip is far better to the purpose.

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I use platypuses (platypi?) every day. I have a 1L and 2L, both reservoir types (I had a 0.5L, but left it in the Honolulu airport. Congrats to whomever found it). The BgZip scares me too much. I can just picture a 2L deluge inside my pack. With or without the hoser attachment they are awesome. I like the shutoff valve end, since I lean on my pack a lot and don't need a firehose at work very often. Usually at home I freeze 8-10 oz in the bladder then fill up in the morning to have ice water all day. I tossed my camelbak bladders cuz they had a tendency to get funky and were difficult to clean. Platypus systems come apart at each connection for east cleaning.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools