Topic

Guidelines for Grizzly Country

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Guidelines for Grizzly Country

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David, thanks for writing this article. It's always good to be reminded of the points you covered.
    The humility part is my biggest "issue", even though I have had many encounters, I think I'm in control and can handle what may come. I have never carried anything, guns, pepper or bells. But I think I am softening.

Last week I was fishing on a remote river on the lost coast of Alaska and had a too close encounter with a three year old Coastal Brown bear(grizzly) than I would have liked. The bear was working us for most of the day. It even false charged my nephew (he was the smallest of our group). When it made its stand, I started yelling and slapped my fly rod on the water, startling the bear and it turned and ran off into the bush (only to appear later down river). This all happened 50 feet in front of me. I think he was just trying to get his fishing spot back, but you never know. After it was over I thought it was really cool- I had seen stuff like that on TV but this happened right in front of me. I guess I got a little science research done!

Bear 1

Bear 2

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools