Topic

.51 vs .74 Grace Duo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) .51 vs .74 Grace Duo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I am thinking about picking up a MLD Grace Duo for use on short trips. Trips may be 1p, 2p and sometimes include my 30# dog. We usually cowboy camp in lightweight bivies. The tarp only gets set up if rain threatens or during heavy wind. I have a Duomid XL that I use on longer trips or heavier weather. Trips will primarily be in the forests in AZ but it’s possible I’d take it to the Sierra when I’m feeling confident about the forecast. Tarp will be used in 3-season conditions.

Given all that, I’m curious to hear any thoughts on .51 vs .74 DCF in this application. It’s a 2.5 ounce difference and perhaps packs slightly smaller. The reality is that this tarp won’t see many nights (I’m not doing a major thru with it and it won’t get used on many nights where we just cowboy camp). .51 doesn’t seem stupid-light, it’s used in many thousands of ZPacks shelters, right? Any thoughts on .51 for my proposed use?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Go for the 0.51. While it’s not my primary shelter, I’ve got a 0.51 Zpacks tarp that has seen a lot of wind and many rain and hail storms over the past 5 years in AZ, UT, and CO. It’s doing fine. Even Tarptent is using 0.51 DCF in their Lithium tents, and they’re still using 30D silnylon.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

I’d go with the 0.51 for 3 season use. With all the ZPacks tarps/tents in use with this fabric I don’t believe to have heard of any experiencing structural failure.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ok, thanks for the responses.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools