Topic

Switchback hammocks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Switchback hammocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

I've been looking at the Switchback Hammocks made by Tree to Tree and looking up reviews at Hammockforums.net.

I was wondering if anyone here at BPL has tried out and compared the Classic model (a double layer, 1.1) v. the lighter version (single layer, 1.9) and whether they noticed more stretch or give when they got in the single layer model. I really like the looks of these hammocks and am having a difficult time deciding which version to get. I hope to get an underquilt system going, but think it might be nice to have a double layer for versatility, i.e. use of a pad–but the double layer is 7 oz heavier than the single layer.

If you're a SB Light Hiker fan, I've been looking at those, too; but the single layer weighs about the same and is 8 inches longer, which I think may be more comfortable–I'm 6'1" and move around a lot in my sleep from side to side. I'm under the impression that the Light Hiker is comfy for guys my size, but probably not when moving around a lot. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Anyone have one of these hammocks that can give me some pros/cons about them or "Gee, I wish I had gone with a different hammock" input?

Any help is appreciated.

SoCal Mike

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Mike,

Since you seem unsure about the hammock you might want to consider trying the Grand Trunk Ultralight – Campmor has them for just $20. You'll want to replace the suspension with some tree huggers and whoopie slings which will set you back $40-50 but at least you can reuse them with other hammocks.

I'm 6' even and 270 pounds and I find the GT Ultralight to be really comfortable. With my tree huggers and suspension it weighs 15.5 ounces. It might be a nice way to get into hanging without dropping $190 on a hammock.

Alternatively you might consider the GT Nano 7 hammock. I picked one up for $50 and, with the full suspension, it weighs less than 11 ounces.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like more info.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

You are right to be looking at the Switchbacks if you are a side sleeper that tosses and turns. That describes me exactly. I love my Switchback and I also have other popular hammocks like the Warbonnet Blackbird. Nothing comes close to the comfort of the Switchback.

I have the double 1.9 and I am your height and weigh 200 pounds. There are people my size out there that are comfortable in the Lighthiker which is about 8" shorter. The one penalty that you pay to sleep in a Switchback is to carry a few ounces of extra weight.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably get the single (it wasn't available when I got mine).

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

@Kevin: Good points. I'll send a PM. I'm always willing to learn and could certainly use some guidance.

@Michael
    : Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the SB. I'm trying to meet up with a member from HF this weekend to try out his SB Classic. So I'll hopefully have some point of reference.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Michael, did you get a chance to try out the SB hammock? I'm curious also how they compare to a WWBB, can you put me in contact with the person that let you try his, maybe he would do the same for me. I really want to like hammocking, but right now it's not happening. Thanks,Jack

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Hey, Jack. Unfortunately, things fell through this weekend. There's a chance we'll get together this weekend but don't know yet. He's from the east coast and is near me for a visit and was gracious enough to try to work me into his travel plans. I will let you know how it goes. I'm leaning toward a SB Single Layer Classic. It's lighter than the double layer classic but maintains a long body. I know a lot of guys at HF are raving about the SB Light Hiker, and I bet it's great. But I have a feeling that the bigger guys that like it don't move around a lot. I think the longer version will suit me better. I really hope I get a chance to try it.

Michael

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Hey Mike, I just went through the same thing your going through. If you have not bought a hammock yet my advice would be buy the single layer its plenty strong for your weight. The idea of using a foam pad sounds great till you do it (it sucks!) so no need for a double layered hammock, use a under quilt. If you buy a TTTG Switchback get the classic its longer and for you size 6'1" comfy the light hiker is to short, trust me you will not be disappointed.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Thanks for the feedback, Kurt. I think I've reached the exact same conclusion. I had a great opportunity to climb inside a Classic Double Layer last weekend. It's a great piece of equipment, but I think you're right–single layer is the way to go for me. I also think the light hiker will be too small. I've done lots of comparisons and for the length and width of the TTTG SB, with only 22 oz (unrigged) for something so large, it's tough to beat. Good to know there's someone out there that reached the same conclusion. Thanks, again.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast
    Quote:
    :You are right to be looking at the Switchbacks if you are a side sleeper that tosses and turns. That describes me exactly. I love my Switchback and I also have other popular hammocks like the Warbonnet Blackbird. Nothing comes close to the comfort of the Switchback.

if you want a hammock that you can sleep on your side, back and stomach then get a Jacks-r-Better bridge hammock.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Ewker,

Thanks for posting this. The Bridge Hammock is beautiful. Heavy, though. I've been able to try out an SB and know a little bit about its comfort. Maybe I can find someone on HF in my area that has a Bridge and try it out. Have you tried one? If so, have you tried an SB? How do they compare to you?

evan keller

@ekeller

I just got back from a 5 day hike in Mount of the Holy Cross Wilderness south of Vail, Colorado…slept in my ultralight-asym Hennessy and couldn't get comfortable to get much sleep (forgot to snag sleeping pills from a friend!).

Who builds custom hammocks? i want a hammock that lies flat like the Jacks-r-Better "Bridge" but a lot lighter and uses my trekking poles for the stabilizer bars. i'm only 5'6" and 155 pounds so don't need their mammoth model for 6'3", 250 pounders. i don't have the time or talent to make my own…who can i ask to build it for me?

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

The bridge hammock is my gf's. So far I haven't slept in it since she uses it all the time when we are out on the trail. We did take the strap and buckles off the main ring and attached whoopie slings to it. We use the extra webbing we took off and use as tree straps. We are thinking about taking the other 2 straps off and attaching some whoopie slings there aslo.

She has tried my blackbird an a treklight double but prefers the bridge hammock.

I haven't tried a switchback hammock at all. For some reason they don't appeal to me.

Cary Beuershausen

@kudzu

At a hang last year several of us tested the Switchback and loved it. We switched from the Warbonnet and Hennessy (maybe others). I personally replaced my Explorer Ultralight with the Light Hiker and love it. Give the Switchback a chance.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

being that i only have 3 hammocks, and you guys are as bad an influence as anyone, i need a switchback too. what the hey!

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Te-Wa,

I think that was a pretty good idea, to get a Light Hiker. I've heard great things about them. I ended up ordering a 1.9 SL Switchback. I had an opportunity to try out a Classic SB (a DL) and I really liked it. Just thought the SL was a better fit and opted for a longer hammock for a little extra comfort (I'm about 6'1" so thought it was a gamble to go with the LH version). Please let us know (here or at HF) how you like it.

SoCal Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools