Topic

Notes on the 2011 Jam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Notes on the 2011 Jam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Note one: the side pocket elastic is pathetically weak. The stitching (on the side pocket tops) is crap. The design/dimension (of the side pockets) are ok, and the fabric (of the pockets, and the pack in general) is good.

Note two: in spite of the frequent "Goheavy" whinging the new Jam hipbelt (and thus, load carrying ability) is f^%$ing brilliant.

More here (including pics of how to fix the elastic problem): http://bedrockandparadox.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/fixing-golite-jam-side-pockets-and-other-technical-notes/

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Dave. I have always liked the Jam – I just wish it didn't weigh 2 lbs.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I like the look of that hipbelt. I myself was looking for a pack with a supportive and yet dynamic hipbelt that allowed for more natural mobility in the hips (Jardine argues against hipbelts entirely for this very reason.) I found packs with wide hipbelts coming directly from the edge of the pack really immobilized my hips because they didn't allow the hipbelt to pivot adequately. The Jam looks like its solved this issue with its new design.

I settled on the gg gorilla because the belt slips into a slot in the back that allows it to pivot. Probably the best all around pack I've used.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

DaveC, have you tried trimming much weight off the new Jam? If so, how low did you go, and what (if anything) did you have to sacrifice in the process?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I trimmed shoulder, waist, and sternum straps, and replaced the top draw cord and cordlock with smaller and lighter ones (mainly cuz the stock one would suck up lots of water). That's it. Adding a drain grommet at the bottom of the front pocket and the main pack bag, along with my side pocket mod, made the weight a wash. My large is exactly 32 oz as it sits right now.

I'll probably get around the cutting out the weird little pockets within the hipbelt pockets, or I might not. Minimal weight savings there.

I can fit a 4 liter dromedary in the bladder sleeve, so I'm leaving that. I won't use it here in Montana, but will when I do trips down in Southern Utah and the Grand Canyon.

I'm leaving the compression straps long, because you never know.

One recent change that certainly added weight is the strip of mega 3D mesh down the center of the back. It's really thick, with much bigger holes than any other 3D mesh I've seen. I'm sure it weights a lot, like 8-10 oz a yard. On the other hand, it's the first mesh back panel I've used that lives up to the hype of wicking sweat. Not bad. Given my choice I pick a plain fabric back panel, but there does seem to be a reason Golite picked that fabric (another thing I've noticed is that pine needles like to get caught inside this mesh, you can get them back out, and they aren't noticeable, but if left unattended too long it might get out of hand).

In short, the new Jam is a very well designed pack. It's heavier than comparable options, but I'm pretty sure Will is going to tell us soon that there are good reasons for this weight. I see a lot less superfluous stuff on it than the vast majority of packs out there.

David Ure

@familyguy

My point is that when you have 2 lb framed packs at the same weight (or considerably less), there is no benefit to a frameless pack. Golite might as well throw a couple of UL stays in there and call it a day.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Thanks for the review. I recently ordered a Jam and can't wait. I was split between the Jam, the GG Gorilla, and a few different ULA models. But after reading/watching lots of reviews, I decided on the Jam. The main thing I think is it is simple and tough. One video review I saw the guy said he had his Jam for I think 8 years and it didn't have a scratch on it.

I do a lot of off trail hiking when I go out, and through pretty isolated and rugged terrain. So being tough is a must for my needs. Of course there are times I will go on a more laid back hike on a lumber road to an established campsite, but when I do that, I have a MYOG pack that I can use. I took my MYOG pack out three or four times through some thick woods, and while it did better than I thought, it did eventually need to get patched up, as it had a few small holes in it. But at less than 10 bucks and 450 grams my MYOG pack still rocks! Just a bit more fragile.

I don't use a self-inflating sleeping pad, which kind of kills the design of the Gorilla, which has a special place for such a pad that doubles as back support. I also did not like that all the pads are removable. I get that it's nice to have options to mod your pack how you like it and all, but I would rather have my shoulder strap pads there and more secure and not just floating there.

I also don't mind 840 grams for a backpack, often being more of a lightweight guy rather than a UL guy. I have an Osprey 48 liter pack that is 1660 grams and that's what I have been using on my more demanding trips, so the Jam is about half the weight. I actually really like my heavy Osprey pack, lots of nice pockets and features, very comfortable, very tough, but I have a feeling that my Jam will be my go-to pack and can't wait to try it out.

I also have a small gym bag that only weighs 78 grams that I plan on using for my first SUL trip this summer. We'll see how that goes. :O

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I agree with David. The Jam is just too heavy for what it is. Which is sad, because it's so cheap and available. For the truly weight conscious, there are much lighter frameless packs.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The Jam may be heavy for a frameless pack, but seems to also be beefier, more durable.

I don't own one so I can't say for sure.

Although there is the argument for using a framed pack instead, I find a frame useless when carrying ultralight loads and would only consider a frame when carrying 25+ lbs.

This probably does depend on the pack fit, but I know people who use the Jam and find it quite comfortable with 20+ lb loads.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Although there is the argument for using a framed pack instead, I find a frame useless when carrying ultralight loads and would only consider a frame when carrying 25+ lbs."

But if a framed pack is 30% less in weight than the Jam…….

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

I mean, it's obviously a personal thing since everyone is shaped differently and moves differently, but the point is that the Jam is up to twice as heavy as an MLD Exodus, Prophet, or Burn, and the dyneema of the MLD line is every bit as durable as the Jam – and the load carrying for me works better with the MLD packs. I've used both extensively. There doesn't seem to be qualities in the Jam that (for weight reasons) justifies the extra 15-18 oz.

(I am only comparing completely frameless packs in my posts.)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I suspect that a framed pack that weighs less than a Jam would probably be less durable.

Although the new materials are lighter and even stronger per gram, they have more of a tendency to not survive the abuse that the Jam can.

I would also suspect that the frame in a pack lighter than the Jam would also not make the pack any more comfortable.

A comfortable rigid frame adds a lot of weight to a pack.

I know my ULA CDT is more comfortable than my previous framed pack and when packed carefully has more support.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

What I was hinting at, and what Will's article today confirms, is that the lighter framed packs argument is a red herring.

Which lighter framed pack carries as well as the Jam? (crickets)

David Ure

@familyguy

The ULA OHM. 6 Moons Swift. HMG Windrider.

Next.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Data suggests the Windrider carries worse.

The Ohm and Swift have, respectively, wimpy side and pocket fabrics. Both also have compression systems that are less versatile. (Ex: poor at carrying skis.)

Not to say that there isn't an argument to be made on DU's side, but I do think other arguments are equally valid.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Windrider carries better to about 22lbs with the stays. What the hell happens after that is anyone's guess. The stays are 'soft' so that may be a bit of an issue. If you used a rolled up CCF pad in addition to the stays, I suspect the carry would not fall off as much.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

one thing the Jam does come w/ is a decent price point, their 40% discount sale seems to be almost perpetual anymore

not that the other packs mentioned aren't worth the price (I ponied up for a Ohm :)), but at $90 you get a pretty darn good pack that if loaded properly will carry very well (I have the similar, but larger Pinnacle which I use in the winter)

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

But the difference in price between a 30 oz. Jam ($90 on sale) and a 15 oz. Exodus ($180) is only $90. That's $90 for almost a pound. I think many of us here would happily pay that.

Here's my personal issue: I bought the Jam, happy for the price, happy with how it carried weight, etc. But as soon as I found out that you could get the same weight carrying prowess and durability in a pack half the weight (15 oz.!) it stuck in my mind until I finally grabbed the MLD pack.

How many of us out there would feel okay knowing that you could save a pound with a not so significant price jump?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Fun discussion going so I'll jump in….

The Jam is a nice little pack. I owned one (circa 2009) and it worked well but ultimately you get to a point where you realize you can get virtually the same thing for way less weight. Stuff like 3D mesh and pockets inside the hipbelt pockets pales in comparison to shaving an entire pound off your baseweight. IMO, the mesh in the backpanel is overkill. It adds a ton of weight and solves a problem that IMO doesn't really exist. The small pocket on the back is also pretty useless because you can't fit much in here if the main bag is full. I much prefer a stretchy/mesh pocket with an open elastic top.

"The Ohm and Swift have, respectively, wimpy side and pocket fabrics. Both also have compression systems that are less versatile. (Ex: poor at carrying skis.)"

Wimpy side pocket fabrics for the Ohm? It's 210D dyneemX grid nylon just like the Jam. The Ohm has hands down the best side pockets I've ever used. The Jam's side pockets are okay but nothing close to the Ohm. The Ohm also has a way better compression system then the Jam. You say it's less versatile, but are you really going to carry skis on your Jam? I've carried skis on a Jam once and it wasn't a good experience. With a winter load of gear plus a set of skis you're most likely going to be well over the weight limits of the Jam and you'll likely have a hard time fitting a winter load of gear into the Jam. The only time I carried skis on a jam, I got a 2" slit in the extension collar from the ski edges. You could maybe do some mild winter short cross-country skiing trips with the Jam, but you don't want to be using this pack for mountaineering or even alpine touring.

IMO, the Jam is a good entry point into lightweight backpacking. The price is sweet and it's a well made piece of gear. But once you get to the point where you start buying cuben goodies and titanium, you realize that swapping out the Jam is one of the cheapest ways to save a ton of weight.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

I must admit that I nearly went with the Ohm and thought it to be better than the Gorilla. But as I mentioned earlier, I went with stablity and durablity. That said, I am pretty sure that the Ohm is not un-durable, just that the Jam is perhaps more durable. If I lived in the USA and was doing the AT or PCT I would have gone with an Ohm, but here in Sweden, while there are some marked trails, it is mostly raw woods. There have been times many hiking that I have had to get on all fours and crawl under/through thick brush and branches to get where I was going.

The complaints about weight I think are a bit exaggerated. Without removing any of the removeable features of the Ohm, if my math is correct, the Ohm is around 755 grams. The Jam is 840 grams, so that is only slightly less than 100 gram difference we are talking about. Plus, I was thinking of trimming some on the Jam. I do have to give ULA props for having removable features and not removable padding like the Gorilla, that I think is the best mix of stablity vs. modification options.

I will happy to accept an Ohm as a gift from any of you hardcore Ohm fans who feel I am missing out, btw. ;)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Dan, the key word there was "respectively."

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I just got a Jam, and I really like it so far. Besides the Jam being a good pack, I appreciate how I was able to order the Jam from a website that had a sale, free shipping, free return shipping, and a great return policy. I'm sure a lot of people on this website have gotten really excited about some new product, bought it, and later regretted it. I appreciate being able to easily check out an item, think it through, and make sure I'm not wasting my money.

On another note, this forum is sort of driving me nuts. David did a thoughtful, and thorough review of a product, which I appreciate. It seems like a number of people are hellbent on convincing him, and everyone else that the Jam is not good. Go start a forum about how much your love your ULA or MLD pack rather than ripping on someone else's gear choice. Thats what many of us refer to as "being a snob." Just my 2 cents.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

Sure the Jam is not the lightest by a long shot, no one is saying that. As a backpacker on a budget I appreciate the afore mentioned fact the there is almost always a 40% off sale. Luckily I picked mine up several years ago when it was the Jam 2 and alot lighter. Granted at this point in the Golite line up I think the Pinnnacle is a much better option if you don't mind compressing it down for summer loads (which it lends itself very well to). For just a few more ounces you get a much larger capacity pack that carries well and is very versatile. I have used it for a three day ski tour and then cinched it down the next day for a servicable backcountry ski daypack as well as for summer backpacking with my wife who likes more luxurious accomodations. But I digress. While if pack shopping right now with the heavier Jam I would probably opt for an ULA CDT instead I think that for those of us who are lightweight, cost concious hikers who don't mind packing silnylon tarps and aluminum (or sale priced ti)cookware a screaming deal on a Jam isn't that big a deal(I would not pay full price). I think it also makes a decent lighter weight technical day pack for folks that need features and durability but want a lighter pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

Cesar – actually the OHM is just over 260g lighter, not 100g.

I just mailed you off an OHM….

I have no problem with this thread or the review that David did. In fact, it was the first time that I had been able to see the revised belt on the Jam so it was appreciated. I am not sure that anyone here is dissing the Jam but instead asking the valid question: Why would I choose this pack over other frameless packs and similar weight framed packs. I believe we are getting some perspective on that.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Hmm. I did mention that the weight I was working with (755 grams) is including all the removable features (which is 4.1oz or about 116 grams). If you take all the removable stuff off, then as the ULAs website states, the pack is 22.6oz or 640g. So if you add the two figures together, you get 26.7oz or about 756g. I am working with the numbers off the ULA website: http://www.ula-equipment.com/ohm.asp

Then Jam weight 840g minus fully loaded Ohm 756g = 84g

I also mentioned another factor that one ought to take into account, which is trimming. I am thinking about doing a bit of trimming on my Jam. For example, I prefer using and drinking from recycled plastic bottles rather than hose and bladder, so I could opt to trim the bladder stuff off. I don't plan on using any ice axes, nor do I own any, so those loops might come off too.

Now if you take everything off the Ohm (about 640g), then you do save around 200g (not sure how you got 250g, but do correct my math if it is off). Even with 200g of weight savings, for me I value the stablity (which from what I gather in the recent article has been confirmed that Golite is good at) and durablity that comes with a mere 200g, which in the end when you step back and take your gram geek goggles off, is only two big candy bars worth of weight! :D

And how in blazes did you get my address to send the Ohm?! Damn hackers, one is never safe from the perils of getting a nice, free UL backpack.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools