Topic

Nike Lava Dome

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Nike Lava Dome

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

A blast from the past…..
    Of all the boots and trail shoes that I have worn over the years the one that stands out above all the rest were the original Lava Domes. They were introduced when mountain bikes did not yet have clipless pedals and the rage was to whether or not use toeclips (does anyone else remember when?)
    They were stiff enough to ride all day long on those heavy MTB’s. Yet, while backpacking the forefoot was stiff enough to not feel the rocks underfoot even with (gasp!) a 65lb pack. The other attributes that I loved about them was that I could wear just one pair of medium-weight hiking socks without any hint of a blister. Also because they were mesh I could just slog through Evolution Basin and over Muir Pass without taking them off for the streams.
    They were so highly thought of among my friends that they bought 3-4 extra pairs when they found out they were being discontinued!

these are definitely a “6” on a 1-5 scale.

Randy

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Thanks for that blast from the past Randy. I wore a pair of Lava Domes for several years, including over 20 days of climbing on El Cap in Yosemite. Nothing is tougher on shoes than time spent aid climbing on a wall. I don’t know what the toe cap was made of on those shoes, but it was several times more durable than any other shoe I have used. I think I still have them, 20 years on, somewhere in my boxes full of climbing gear.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wading up Williamson Creek from elevation 6,000 feet to the lakes at 12,000 feet.

These shoes were nearly indestructable. They handled mud, rain, and snow. The dense midsoles and level front-to-rear profile allowed a very natural gait. Whatever glue they used didn't break down in water, heat, or cold.

Finally they wore out and I replaced them with Lava Dome II. These were hotter and only lasted a year before delaminating. Boo Hoo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools