Topic

ULA Equipment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews ULA Equipment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’ve known Brian Frankle for a few years. Recently, Brian made backpacks for us for the Arctic 1000 expedition. He was very attentive to our feedback, delivered on time, made adjustments as needed, and worked with us to develop backpacks that capitalized on his strengths as well as they served our needs. Brian’s a good guy and offers integrity and honesty both in public and behind the scenes.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

There is no question ULA makes good equipment. The Catalyst I purchased (and also that of a friend) is great pack, well constructed and easy to adjust, and they do a good job of helping making appropriate selections.

The only issue I had, as did a friend who also order a Catalyst earlier this year, was the delivery times and communications. Had we not called, we would not have found out that the promised ship date had slipped 2 weeks in my case, 3 in his. Not a major issue, but a concern if timing is important.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I’ve been using ULA packs since 2003 (the original P2 and the most recent P1) and have been thoroughly impressed with both packs. Both packs are still going strong after each having been used for over 3000 miles and haven’t been babied at all. My only beef is that both were about 4 ounces heavier than I thought they were going to be.Brian is a great guy who is upfront and knowledgeable, and the communication between us was always great. He tries to evolve the packs, which helps keep them fresh.

Cameron Cole

@straegen

My experience isn’t as positive. While ULA does accomadate customizations and requests, they are very slow to answer emails. I still have an outstanding issue with my Catalyst that hasn’t been responded to after three months of emails. I knew this was an issue going in when the ship date for my pack slipped almost two months (making it a five month process) and I wasn’t notified. Followed by paid for changes that were not included in the pack and the couple months to get that resolved. After a handful of conversations with the owner (I have sent maybe six so I haven’t spamed the company), I feel like this is an honest company, but customer support has been poor for me.

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

In late July, days after Brian stopped taking orders before his break, I called him and asked if I could still order a Conduit. He told me no problem and shortly after my M/L Conduit arrived. Small problem though, it was too big and I was leaving in a week. I called him up and told him my issue. The same day he sent me a S/M Conduit and told me to send him the M/L pack back before I left. I had my new pack with a couple days to spare. Thanks Brian. Cant wait till you are back.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I like this company. I like Brian. I prefer dealing with small companies. I really like my new Catalyst. My only problems were service-related. After an order acknowledgment promising 1-2 weeks there were delays with production that pushed delivery out to 14 weeks. During this time I had sporadic email and phone conversations with Brian. I get the impression that he's pretty much a one-man show – if he's out emails aren't answered and phone calls aren't taken or returned. I'd prefer waiting to getting a pack with a defect and I have no question about Brian's honesty or integrity, but I would have appreciated periodic updates, even from emails. That said, Brian was very helpful in the ordering process and (when I could reach him) entirely forthcoming about the problems. So a one-point ding on customer service.
    UPDATE July 2007: ULA's website now states prominently that the company will be closed for a few months beginning August 1 and that during the closure orders won't be processed and emails not returned. Now a customer knows what to expect. As with every technical suggestion or question I've put to Brian, he's acted on my criticism – so I'm raising my rating to a 5.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Aside from Brian's phenomenal products (which are well documented), I recently had a great experience shopping with ULA. While researching a new pack purchase, Brian Frankle my emails to ULA Equipment promptly; within 24 hours. Later he took the time to speak with me over the phone, answering all my questions and providing good advice. As many of you know, he's also a frequent poster here and on other backpacking forums and I feel he really makes an effort to connect with the lightweight hiking community.

In the past his one knock has been long delivery times of some of his products but it really appears to me that Brian is making that a priority entering 2007. The pack I ordered (the Conduit) was in stock when I placed the order and it shipped the very next business day, complete with a confirmation email. Delivery was exactly as promised.

On top of all that, I never feel better about a purchase than when I know my money is going right back into a local community here in the USA. As such, I do what I can to support cottage industries and when you can find one as stellar as ULA Equipment it's especially gratifying. Thanks Brian!

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

This review is really a 4.5.

Brian has always thoughtfully and informatively responded to my emails. His products are absolutely top notch, and I have no doubt that he would stand firmly behind his lifetime guarantee if I were to ever have a problem. In addition, I get the sense that he's a great guy, and I love to be able to support a small business that makes wonderful products by hand.

The only reason I give ULA a 4.5 is that the communication and time between order and delivery for me were a little lacking. Emails were always responded to, but I wasn't kept up to date on my order unless I initiated the conversation. Also, I didn't receive the pack for a few months. I hear these issues have now been generally resolved, and I know that Brian runs ULA with a very limited staff, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Locale: Minnesowtah

Here is my summary of my latest purchase from Brian at ULA-Equipment:

July 4th (yes…the national holiday) placed an order through the website for a M/L Relay pack. Website stated pack was in stock.

July 5th in the morning. Received an e-mail from Brian thanking for my continued business and letting me know that he had sold his last M/L Relay and would have to sew another to fulfill my order.

July 5th after work. Got home and went for a bike ride. After the ride I checked the e-mail. E-mail from UPS with a tracking number from ULA-Equipment and notification that my pack had shipped and I would receive it on July 11th.

That my friends….is fantastic customer service.

Steve

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Brian is not only a great designer of packs, but a great sewer, too, when the seamstress brigades of Logan, UT are fully engaged. He also has entertained us over the last few years with on-line diaries of his epic-level trips—-speaking of which, i think he's about to start another one as he's shutting down operations for 3 months.

I've had the pleasure of being the owner of 3 ULA packs over the last few years—all of them 1st rate. The latest, the Arctic (a collaboration with BPL) is brilliant.

Brian Frankle runs a business of integrity and quality. He deserves the custom of the UL community.

Oh, yes—-the CS is quite good. Communications, excellent.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I just received my Arctic Pack yesterday, a pack that I wasn't going to buy at first because of the expense, but after reading other people's reviews and my just not having enough time to make my own harness pack that I've been designing, I decided to get it while it was still available.

As someone who designs and sews my own gear, I was very impressed by Brian's workmanship (not something I easily say). Beautiful detail, clean lines and seams, elegant in its implicity and functionality. It impressed me so much that I wa a bit wistful that I hadn't bought other packs from ULA.

Now I have to use the pack. I think it is going to do everything I was hoping it would.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Been using ULA packs for years. Bought the P2, P1 and now the Conduit. All are excellent in their own way. Customer service is perfect and so is the gear. Great packs!!!

James Keener

@jjhiker

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi carried a P2 for 900 miles in 2004. Other than a rip from a butt-slide down Glen Pass, it is still in good shape. I just shipped it to my brother so that he can join me in Washington this year. ULA's packs are hiker's packs. I'll carry the Catalyst in the Sierra Nevada this year in order to accommodate extra big loads. Then switch back to a Mariposa Plus. I have consistently gotten good service from Brian.

Basil Gravanis
    BPL Member

@thebaz

All of my purchases from Brian have been very smooth and I have been simply floored with the quality of his gear. The first product I ordered was his AmigoPro water filter with which I quickly became enamored. I later bit on the PacerPoles and, sure enough, they were _the_ poles for me. Brian just seems to have good instincts in selecting and developing products. A rare trait, I'd wager. Anyway, I recently ordered both the Catalyst and Relay packs and both times Brian sent me an e-mail right away to confirm the status and lead times (which were thankfully short as my size was in stock). His cross country shipping (Utah->Georgia) was very snappy too. Both packs are impeccably constructed and very rugged in use. Using them just reminds you of how badly the mass market fails the "one-and-done" mentality… which is what I try for.

Cheers,

Basil

Avakian Garbed

@avakian

Locale: Schwarzwald

My pack was shipped within hours of placing the order. A lot of things must have changed at ULA headquarters after these older complaints…

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I ordered my pack from Brian on Wednesday and received it on Friday. I called him before ordering and he helped me size my hipbelt and then sent the pack right out.

The pack looks great and Brian has been very helpful and extremely prompt through all of this.

I highly recommend ULA to anyone considering a pack!

Dane Ward

@tagless

Locale: Southeast

I've purchased from this company on several occasions. It's all been great! The last time I purchased a day pack and later decided to buy one a second unit for my wife as well. Brian contacted me to let me know he would ship both together – saving me money. Both arrived within 2 days. I give ULA my highest recommendation!

James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

I have purchased three packs from Brian & ULA and have found both the products and customer service to be top notch all the way. My emails have been answered within 24 hours and products, if in stock, have been shipped often within the same day. I have referred others to Brian's products and they have always had nothing but great things to say about ULA and Brian.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

After much comparative shopping, I bought a Relay Pack from ULA. It arrived only a few days after placing the order.

After four short trips, the haul loop ripped out. I wrote a short email to ULA (Brian)describing the problem and within 24 hours, I had a response. And once I responded to Brian's email, I had a new pack within 3 to 4 days with a prepaid UPS shipping form to return the damaged pack.

This is awesome customer service, Responsive, easy, quick turn around.

Stuart Allie

@stuart-allie

Locale: Australia

The guys at ULA were very helpful and friendly when answering my questions about their products. When I placed an order the pack arrived in Australia a week later in perfect condition and exactly as specified.

Great service, friendly people, and great products. Can't do better than that!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

5/5

It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void.

Not only was the communication great (they did better on timely emails than I did). I also spoke with Casey and Brian on the phone. Brian actually moved me to another pack, which would better meet my needs.

Oh, and I almost forgot… the product is top notch, exceeding my expecations. ULA has done something unique, they have not gained a new customer, but they have gained an advocate. Very unusual in today's business world.

Barnett Childress

@barnett_childress

Locale: New England

Brian is a great guy to deal with. Got my first pack from Brian a few years back & still have it. Excellent build quality!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Got both a Catalyst and Circuit. Great phone service, answering questions. Sent an email when the new Circuit came, and Casey called me on my cell phone within 24 hours. I almost didn't answer, since I didn't recognize the number! Who would have expected a call? A pleasure to do business with.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

I decider late in the year to buy a new pack. I've eyed the ULA's for a long time and really wanted to get one. There were a few details I was unsure of so I called and the new owner Chris McMaster answered. He was quick to help me, but I was still not decided.

After some more research and scouring all the BPL forum posts I called again, and again Chris answered and was more than willing to indulge my barrage of esoteric questions regarding design features and fit.

After another week of pondering (I don't NEED a new pack; I just WANT one)I decided on a Large Circuit with a Medium belt. It arrived and I began testing it out. There was something just not right with the fit. I was afraid it was too long, but I had never used anything but a size Large and was reluctant to consider a Medium. Emails to Chris resulted in immediate responses. He measured pack and stay/hoop lengths of M & L sizes. Then Chris sent another email stating he shipped a Medium for me to try and to return the size I didn't want. Now that's GREAT customer service in anybody's book! It turns out a Medium is perfect for me. The Medium is on my back and the Large is on its way back to Logan.

One other thing; all this occurred during the last 3 weeks of December. I'm sure ULA, like many other businesses, was busy with Christmas orders and family events. But Chris never seemed rushed or impatient with my queries.

So, for those who wondered what would happen to ULA after Brian left, all I can say is that customer service is definitely still a high priority.

A new and probably repeat ULA customer

Don Ashton
    BPL Member

@dash1730

I have had my pack four months and have taken it on three weekend trips. It is exceeding my expectations in many ways. It is well known that ULA makes great packs. Through email and phone I asked Brian many questions as I confirmed the Circuit was the right pack for me. He was always courteous, responsive and very helpful each time. Once I placed the order, he had the pack to me within a week as promised. It was every thing I had hoped for: given its capacity and features its amazingly light, well designed, and the sewing was impeccable.

What I didn’t anticipate was how functional the design was. While I have always had great packs with external pockets, their ergonomics weren’t the greatest. The Circuit’s pockets on the hip belt, sides and back of the pack provided a convenient place to store everything that I need for changing conditions on the trail. And packing and unpacking is super easy.

But the best part of my experience was the customer service Brian offered long after the purchase. I had a problem fitting my TarpTent Scarp 1 in the pack. Although it was very lightweight, it was 22 inches long. IMO it was too long for the front pocket and in my way if put across the top of the pack.

I discussed with Brian the possibility of adding two straps to carry the tent just below the front pocket. He was helpful in finding a way so the straps wouldn’t rip something if the tent were knocked, tugged or jerked. In the eventuality this modification might rip out, he even offered to fix any problems. I am so appreciative of his willingness to spend time helping a solution that works for me. That is customer service I could never get from major pack manufacturers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools