Topic

Training For Snowshoe Travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Training For Snowshoe Travel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Riley
    BPL Member

@jedeye459

Locale: South East

So I got a pair of snowshoes for travel in the Olympics and I have no experience. I would really like to try them out, get my muscles use to the movement some etc… BUT I live in Georgia so there isn't any snow in the area. Do you think it would be safe to practice with them in soft grass? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It won't do much good for the soft grass.

Yes, you will learn that it is pretty easy to walk in snowshoes. You just walk with a wider stance so that they don't bump together much. The rest of it will have to wait until you get on snowy hills.

Cross country skiers tend to contour around and zigzag their way up a hill. Snowshoers tend to go straight up or straight down, but that depends a little on the style of the snowshoe.

–B.G.–

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Especially when snowshoeing in deep and/or variable snow, you certainly use muscles in unique ways. It'd be hard to directly replicate this without snow, maybe go to the beach and snowshoe around on sand dunes?

Generally, snowshoeing is harder and slower than hiking. Being in good shape before your trip will probably ensure you have the most fun and don't strain a hip flexor or the like. Hike lots of steep hills (up and down) and uneven terrain.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Snowshoeing has some advantage over cross country skis if you are in really rough terrain, or with bushes half-covered in snow. The advantage of the skis is that you can get some glide, but it takes a while to build up the skill. Either one is slightly different from walking, so your walking muscles are stressed a little more, and you can easily get muscle cramps unless you become an expert.

–B.G.–

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You'll use a slightly wider gait, more resistance to raising your leg due to more weight, and will often have to raise your legs much higher if breaking trail in new snow.

So, wear heavy shoes and climb steps two at a time for a workout. It's really not hard to get used to.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Remember, that if you are going to run with the big dogs, you have to learn to lift your leg very high.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

" Hike lots of steep hills (up and down) and uneven terrain."

+1 Preferably with heavy boots. Maybe even 1-2# ankle weights to simulate the weight of the snowshoes. Being in good shape is really the key. Basic snowshoeing technique isn't that hard to learn; a lot of it is intuitive, but if you're not in pretty good shape it won't be much fun because it is a lot of work. And a lot of fun.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Golf course at night. Watch out for sprinklers. That's how I tried out my first pair of snowshoes many years ago. this particular course had a lot of up and down so it was great. Maybe add some weight to the shoes to simulate the snow that will pile up on top?

Jonathan Riley
    BPL Member

@jedeye459

Thanks to everybody for the input – once again I was overwhelmed with the response!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

How about in shallow water, never tried it, but it might give you the same resistance as snow.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Hiking of course on the weekends…and workouts in general during the week. :)

Some prisoner squats probably help (work those legs) and burpees for legs and core strength.

The beauty of prisoner squats and burpees is that you need no equipment, they are kick-ass work outs and help with the winter sport activities (cardio, legs and core stength). Needs little space, too!

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/11/19/burpee-exercise-squat-push-up-vertical-jump/

http://www.livestrong.com/exercises/flexibility/311-prisoner-squats/

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Anybody who can walk, can walk with snowshoes. (With shallow snow, flat ground…)

On the other hand a heavy pack with slippery slush on a 40 degree slope and buried rocks and willows to posthole into it's a different story. (The North Fork of Lone Pine Creek on Whitney last weekend for example)

I trained with walking lunges to help condition my hip flexors. Going up stairs with ankle weights would be good too (elevator down or take off the ankle weights if you're walking). Double-unders with a jumprope (if you have enough rhythm), squats, burpees, all good.

Jim

Jonathan Riley
    BPL Member

@jedeye459

Thanks again for the additional input guys! I'm going to keep up with my weekly training hikes, but try to work in some strength training.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools