Topic

Down quilt material questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down quilt material questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I'm looking to make my first down quilt. I'm trying to understand what all my options are for fabrics.

This will be a summer quilt for moderate conditions. I'm thinking your basic 1.1oz ripstop nylon for the shell? Seems easy to find, reasonably priced and lots of color choices. I've seen 20D and 30D — does it matter which?

My issue is the lining. I don't particularly like the feel of the nylon ripstop. I don't think I like Momentum either. (It feels "plastic'y" to me…) Any pros/cons for using polyester fabrics? Are there lightweight downproof polyester fabrics available that I can use? I've also seen silk mentioned and I think that would be ideal. Are there special sources for down-proof silks or are most fine silks down-proof?

I'm aiming for less than a pound. I'm relatively small (5'2" woman, 135lb) so I think 8-9 oz of 800 or 900-fill down would be sufficient. I'd like it good to about 40-degrees.

Any other hints would be great — I've read through quite a few of the threads here about making quilts/working with down and I'm decent on the sewing machine. I've made a few silnylon tarps, pack covers, stuff-sacks, etc.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It can't just be basic ripstop nylon, it must be calendared.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> It can't just be basic ripstop nylon, it must be calendared.

OK. I've been buying fabrics from OWFI, Seattle Fabrics, Quest, etc. and all of their "1.1 oz ripstop nylon" is described as being down-proof. It doesn't specifically say calendared, but I assume that's what it means?

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI

If it says down proof, that is what it means.

As far as the liner, not much help here. I don't mind the feel of the ripstop or momentum. I find that the more it's used the nicer it becomes though.

I would look at 1"-1 1/2" baffles for the quilt, and 6-8oz would be plenty.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Try the OWF 0.9oz breathable Taffeta, it doesn't feel plasticy on the right-side at all, it's like microfiber or velvet.

edit: yeah, unless your quilt is massive, for your size, you shouldn't need more than 6oz of down for 40deg. Probably more like 5.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Javan knows his stuff.

If you are looking for really good price 1.1nylon, check backwoodsdaydreamer.com he has a 1.1oz nylon 2nds for around $3 a yard. It is a very nice feeling 1.1 nylon. I have made a down underquilt and down topquilt out of it.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Thanks for the feedback. Ordered some swatches!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I found out some interesting information about the BWDD Olive RS 2nds. Which explains why the fabric is such good quality except for the dark lines.

Apparently this fabric is actually 1st quality overruns of fabric made for the military. The dark lines are there as guidelines for some lasers when the fabric is processed into something or other.

Just a semi-useless FYI. It's great fabric for the money.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools