Topic

MYOG Down Bootie/Sock Pattern?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Down Bootie/Sock Pattern?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been looking everywhere for a myog down bootie/sock pattern (ideally I'd like to make something similar to the Feathered Friends inner down bootie using momentum 50). Does anyone have a link to a good (& free) pattern?

Cheers,
    Brendan

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Brendan, I am working on a pair of insulated socks now. I'm about to cut my 3rd attempt from scraps as I refine my design. These are not down socks but primaloft insulation, but with the addition of a couple of baffles, they would probably work or at least give you a starting point.

I plan to sew the final product this Saturday and I will post my dimensions here, along with my foot size.

The most critical measurement is the circumference from your heel to your instep and back again. This is what has to fit inside the sock to put it on. Also, at least for me, my leg does not lay 90 degrees to the sole of my foot, as I originally assumed. Could be that I'm special :(

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

Michael,

I look forward to seeing your final product! Good luck!

Cheers,
    Brendan

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

I've got a pattern for some synthetic insulated booties similar to these (unfortunately the ones I made for my girlfriend are at her house and I can't send you a picture of them right now):
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302734361&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619876

I've got them in two "sizes": my feet and my girlfriend's feet. They're hand drawn and cut on paper so I don't have a great way to transmit them to you right now, though I actually do plan on (eventually) scanning them and putting them together with some instructions to sell. If you want I could lay them out on my gridded cutting mat and take pictures of them, that way you can hopefully recreate them yourself. Let me know if you want me to do that or if you have any better ideas.

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

Andrew,

I'd love it if you could lay your paper patterns on grid mat and take a few pictures. I think with that I could at the very least get a good idea of the basic pattern (I' going to make a practice round with some cheap material first).

I am planning on making the booties for me (size 11 foot), what size are your feet for reference? Do the ones that you made fit snugly/loosely etc? As well, how thick is the insulation you put in yours?

It seems to me that the differences between the basic design of down and synthetic booties is minimal. My fiance has a pair of FF down booties and there isn't anything too fancy with the sewing (i.e. they have sewn-through baffles, minimal baffles in total, etc).

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
    Brendan

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

pattern

The ones I made included a CCF sole. This is the smaller foot-shaped part. I sandwiched that between an inner and outer sole fabric cut from the larger foot-shaped piece and sewed around the edge. The smaller upside down U-shaped piece is the top of the foot shell. I sewed a 2.5" wide strip of thicker reinforcing material around the outside edge of this similar to those MEC Hut Booties in the web address above. (BTW – how do you make that into a link??). The rectangle is the ankle/calf section. This gets sewn to the inner part of the upside down U. That's the shell.

For the inner liner, I used the larger upside down U, and stitched the notches at the top closed to give it shape. I did the same with the insulation, which was either .75" or 1" thick (leftover from a Ray Way quilt). If you didn't want the reinforcing bumper strip on the shell, you could use this shape for the shell too. The dotted line on the rectangle and large U shape is where I removed 1/2" from the edge of the insulation and then basted the two pieces of insulation together. Stitch the rectangle inner to the U-shape inner; then the inner upper is complete.

From there I made the sandwich of inner, insulation, and outer, and put it all together. I included a drawstring at the top of the calf section that exited at the front. It took a little bit of wrestling to get it under the sewing machine with the foam in the footbed, but it was manageable.

This is the pattern from my girlfriend's pair. She has size 7.5 feet and they fit just right – not sloppy, but not compressing the insulation. I haven't gotten around to making my pair yet, and when I dug out the pattern I realized I don't have all the the pieces together yet.

Good luck!

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

andrew,

Thanks for the detailed description. I will definitely work up a pair here in the next few weeks. Good luck with your second pair!

Cheers for all the effort you put into getting that all together for me, I really appreciate it.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Here are the size 7.5 booties I made for my girlfriend, just in case that helps. Enjoy!

-Andy

booties

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

the booties look great mate, thanks again for all of your help. I'll put some pics up when I get mine finished

cheers,
    Brendan

otovan darna

@otovan

Hi, been visiting this site for some time, and after finishing me down booties, thought id share it with you guys on here.

Stitching was done by hand, fabric is ripstop nylon and the fill is 700 cui from a thrift store duvet.

Thanks for the pattern,
    Otovan

otovan darna

@otovan

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

All of these kook awesome! moving insulated booties to the top of my list!

Wander
    BPL Member

@wanderboogie

Locale: (null)

Anyone willing to make a pair of these for me for a reasonable price before I go cutting up my Costco quilt trying to throw some together? Cheers!

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

Perhaps not that satisfying in the MYOG sense but what I did was cut off the sleeves of my daughter’s trashed down jacket.  Insta-booties.  Would need a “sole” if I wanted to wear outside of the tent but otherwise perfect.  2.5oz.  Could easily get under 2 oz if I had sewing skills.  So maybe go to Goodwill and look for a Down jacket.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools