Topic

Gossamer Gear, the Gorilla in the Room

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear, the Gorilla in the Room

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Murphy

@texico

Locale: North Georgia

Hey everyone, I definitely feel the NEED to make this post. I was in Texas during the last week and contacted Gossamer Gear to see if I could stop by their Austin HQ and see what they had to offer. For background, I've been looking at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla and Mariposa Plus and the ULA Ohm.

So I e-mailed Grant at Gossamer Gear and was told that I could stop by on my way from Dallas to San Antonio to check out their goods. The house they operate out of was very easy to find on the southwest side of Austin. When I got there Mike was the guy who greeted me at the door and showed me the packs. I ended up buying the Gorilla, which by my scale, with the sitlight pad, came out to 24.2oz.

I must say that I am very impressed by the service offered by Gossamer Gear. The guys there really know their stuff (including where to find some awesome tacos for lunch).

Since I live in Atlanta, I disassembled my duffel bag with all my clothes and laptop and everything and tossed it all in the Gorilla for the flight home. The total weight of everything including the pack came out to 18lbs 2.7oz (measured when I got home). The pack carried admirably and is well suited to airline travel. It fit perfectly in the overhead bin. The width of the shoulder straps is a concern to me, but I will with-hold my judgment on that until I carry it for more than a couple miles.

All in all, I am very impressed with the customer service, craftsmanship, and general awesomeness of this small company.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have purchased a large amount of gear in the last two months, enough really to outfit a family of 3 for backpacking, vs day hiking.

I have in this process contacted many of the cottage gear manufacturers with questions about this gear vs that gear (in their own product lines) and have to tell you, I have been disappointed overall.

Chris with ULA is a standout, he got back to me on days you wouldnt think he monitored his email. he even offered to send me another pack at no charge and let me figure out which one I like better before settling up.

some guys who are well known, didnt even return my emails, and one guy never returned two (over two weeks).

I realize all these guys (or most) work from home, and do other things like hike rather than sit by the phone all day, but it seems like they could post something if they are going to be gone a month etc. so we wouldnt expect a call back.

Sucky thing to me is often it forced me to go to moosejaw or others like them instead of one of the guys who probably would benefit more from my purchase. ( and I would have gotten better gear).

Kevin Clark

@rifleman3353

I got a Gorilla and decided that it wasnt the pack for me.I emailed Grant at Gossamer Gear and he was more that happy to take it back and send me a Mariposa plus which i think will suit my needs much better.They will be getting a lot of my buisness in the future.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

There are several options for dealing with the wide straps. I had to customize the foam a little with scissors.

I really like my Gorilla because it carries well and adapts to different base weights. Removing everything removable without permanent alteration, my Gorilla weighs about 15 oz. I find that it's most comfortable with only a folded inflatable pad on the inside for support.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

I have the Gorilla and formally carried the Mariposa Plus. I use some Acorn fleece socks for sleeping and carry them in the shoulder straps. They make the straps narrower, rounded, thicker and so comfortable I do not even notice that I have the straps on my shoulders. By far the most comfortable pack I have carried and I have carried a few.

David Lisak

@davelisak

Locale: Grand Canyon hiker

I've bought many pieces of gear from Gossamer over the years, from major purchases (tarp, tent) to minor ones. Their customer service has always been superb. In fact, I ordered one of their 1/8 inch pads early this morning and by the afternoon received an email that the item had shipped. They have also been very quick and responsive to questions.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Kevin, what did you prefer about the Mariposa over the Gorilla? Was it just the volume or something about the way they carried?

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

I dint mind the straps. At first I thought I would but I hike with collared shirts for sun protection so no problems here. Agree that Chris at ULA was super fast on email! Both ULA and GG were great to me.

Kevin Clark

@rifleman3353

I just wanted a pack with a little more volume.I have not received it yet so i dont know how it will carry. When it comes in I will do a review on it.I can say this when i get it, im not going to use the aluminum stay,im going to use carbon stays to save weight.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools