Topic

Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I just got a Zebralight H51, it is awesome, my quest for the right headlamp might just be over.
    Looking forward to finishing my down top quilt and trying it out.
    I am also looking forward to making a cuben hammock tarp, haven't yet tried anything made out of cuben.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Patagonia Coolweather tights… been trail running early morning and wore them in my last race, have yet to take them on a backpacking trip. Should be perfect for the winter down here. Also looking forward to a couple winter excursions in my Montane Flux; my concern is it's going to be more jacket than I need.

Phil O’Connor

@philoconnor

Locale: Oh ya know

The new Inertia-X 9 oz sleeping pad should be pretty cool. It launches Mid November and is only $99 retail with pump, patches and stuff sack! Can't wait to hear peoples thoughts on it.Inertia X frame pad

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"The new Inertia-X 9 oz sleeping pad should be pretty cool."

Yup, cool pad. It's hard to imagine everyone is going to find all those cutouts comfortable but I'm sure quite a few people will find it great. The downsides are that if you don't use the argon gas then the R-value seems like it will be rather low and the weight goes up if you use argon (1.5oz pump + 2oz gas canister). I wish they'd publish R-values with and without argon so we can make a more informed decision. If argon only boosts the R-value to 2.5 or so, then you'd may as well just carry a NeoAir at a similar weight and get a thicker pad.

"I also thought about picking up a Zebralight H51, but its performance seems to depend heavily on the battery type."

What does this mean? You don't like that it only takes one kind of batteries? Or you don't like that it won't last very long on cheap alkalines?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I forget the details, but the brightness seems to be limited based on battery type. My guess is that full brightness depends heavily on the voltage and amperage draw the battery can provide. Nimh batteries only have 1.2V, so that could be a big problem there. I'm sure battery life is fine with either nimh or lithium primaries, but I'd want to use lithiums for the H51. Also, one user found that the H51 doesn't get the battery life in the specs with an Eneloop battery…more reason to use lithium. These aren't necessarily deal breakers, but it does make other headlamps more appealing.

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

Dan,
    I think our favor is quite similar since I got Zebralight H51 and zpacks zero this year.
    H51 is my favorite headlamp so far. It's not light but so bright. The beam type and brightness level is very good for both camping and hiking. Though the brightest level can only be pushed when the battery is quite full of energy, but actually I don't need it that bright. 100 lumens is enough for me.

The only addtional option my zero pack has is the removable waist belt. I love it's simplisity! I found myself feel comfortable even when it carries 17 lbs.

Jangtian

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Eugene, on Zebralight's website they say the listed specs (lumens, battery life) are based on a 2000mAh Eneloop AA battery so that would be disappointing if it indeed didn't perform at full capacity with one. I suspect that it will, but I'd be interesting in reading any reports to the contrary. My intentions are to use 2650mAh NiMH.

Just got the email now that mine has shipped.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Dan,

Don't be surprised if your 2650 doesn't work as well as the Eneloop. They're a whole different beast. Even the other low self discharge NiMH I've tried don't measure up. If you can get the new Eneloops (1500 cycles) they're supposed to be better again.

There are a couple of threads on candlepowerforums about them.

Rod

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My experience is that the runtime for the H51/eneloop matches what's on zebralight's website (though I don't have the second sublevel)… with one exception. I don't get the 200 lumens on the highest setting. I do when using disposal lithium batteries. This isn't a deal breaker for me, because 70 lumens or better with a design that incorporates a mirror and/or lens for decent through is enough for my wayfinding needs. The H51 works great.

–Mark

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

Ordered a warbonet blackbird and a crows nest under quilt in 900 down also. the wait is going to kill me. dave

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I've been thinking more about Klymit's X-frame pad and I'm not so sure it makes a lot of sense.

Inflating the X-frame with air gives you very little insulation since there is no internal baffling or reflective layer like the NeoAir. Accordingly, when used with air this pad would limited to warm summer trips only. For most trips you're probably going to want to bring the argon.

If you bring the argon then you need the pad (9.1oz), argon canister (2.1oz) and argon pump (1.6oz) so you're at 12.8oz which isn't much lighter than a NeoAir (14oz) and how far does that argon get you? Klymit doesn't say how long an argon canister lasts for the X-Frame, but they do say it fills the vest 2-6 times and the vest appears to require WAY LESS gas than the pad. I think you'd be doing good to get one fill/canister. So essentially the argon equipped X-Frame would weigh roughly 10.7oz + 2.1oz/day. That adds up quick! For any trip longer than 1 night a NeoAir would be lighter and perhaps warmer since argon is only 33% more insulating then air.

Klymit is coming out with a heavier pump that can re-capture the gas and this would likely make more sense for long trips, but you'd still be starting out heavier than a NeoAir.

In conclusion, the X-Frame is the lightest inflatable pad, but it appears only makes sense for summer use because there are more practical 3 season options. My NeoAir small weighs the same as the X Frame and it gets me 3 seasons of use. A 6.5oz 3/4 length X-Frame could be a neat super light summer pad but that's about all the potential I see here.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Eneloop keep the voltage high ( over 1 V) up to almost full discharge, that is why they may perform better than other rechargeable batteries with higher amperage.
    Franco
    (please add the Eneloop to the Franco pimping list….)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you study the various battery chemistries, you will see that each has a characteristic voltage curve over the discharge life. Some have a very sharp "knee" where the battery voltage fades rapidly (lithium primary comes to mind), and others have a rather soft "knee" where the voltage degrades pretty slowly (many rechargeables are this way).

Different load devices react differently to that characteristic voltage curve.

Once you know which type you seek, you will discover that one or two samples of your battery will fail early (the curve degrades too early). These are mostly the rechargeable types, and the failure is commonly caused by poor charging protocol or user error or poor quality control during manufacture. Since many batteries are used in pairs, it is a good idea to keep the separate batteries matched somewhat for voltage. If you don't, then one high performer battery will end up heating its low performer partner, and that is inefficient. So, some of the best chargers actually rate the separate batteries by voltage and flag the user for a failed one.

Of course, if you are just using batteries for a flashlight, it doesn't matter too much unless you are heading out on a long backpack trip without replacement batteries.

–B.G.–

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'm another who has recently gotten a Wabonnet Blackbird, and am looking forward to trying it out. I'm expecting comfy nights, in contrast to years of hard ground!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I'm excited about trying out my new Alpinlite Gear "Stratiform III" tarp w/ Bug Shelter 1.25.

Also, a wind/rain hoody jacket in the works as we speak made of cuben fiber. REALLY want to see how it responds and performs. Will be testing it out hard as soon as it gets colder, windier & ranier here near Tahoe.

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Hey John, just saw your post about getting the Ti Goat equivalent to the Jacks'R'Better "Sierra Sniveller."

Let me know how you like it. I have the JRB Sierra Sniveller, and I love it. Absolutely love it. :)

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I want to get a new Caldera Cone Tri Ti W/ all the bells and whistles. I think it is one of the very neatest stoves on the market – speaking as a guy who already owns seven stoves.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Well worth the wait. I took out my new blackbird 1.0 dbl hammock and my 900wt 3/4 length Crowsnest for their maiden voyage on a a 4 day hike a few weeks ago. Lightweight camping has never been so comfortable. I went with the straps option on the blackbird but as soon as I set it up in my backyard, I ordered and then installed whoopie slings, saving appx. 4 ounces and easier to use as well.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools