Topic

Training & Workout

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Training & Workout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom – how do you figure? If you are interval training on a stationary bike, how will your body alignment cause issue. As Chris pointed out, intervals can be done in any form."

David – Correct. I was referring to running, the only area where I have enough experience to comment. I should have been more specific.

"I agree that someone not used to doing intervals should not go out doing wind sprints, but there are definitely ways around physical issues."

Sure there are. Most important is proper base training. Secondarily, listening to your body and calibrating your interval intensity according to the feedback. Even someone with biomechanical issues can benefit from intervals at a lower intensity and volume. Not everyone has to run 24 x 400 m at a 70 second pace, for instance, to improve their cardio vascular efficiency. I've seen recreational runners run intervals at an 8 minute mile pace and improve their times in road races. It's all relative.

"With intervals, the limiting factor is most definitely mental."

Yes and no. There is definitely a mental toughness factor involved in running intervals successfully, but if it overrides your body's feedback mechanisms, you'll find yourself in trouble real quick. Whether or not this applies to bike intervals, swimming intervals, etc I cannot say.

David Ure

@familyguy

Tom – I see now. And I fully agree. Thanks,

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom – I see now. And I fully agree. Thanks,"

And thank you for bringing me into focus.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Holy Moly,

Tom and I agree!!

The science of running can get very technical, but lets look at some high level theories. Lets take a distance runner who will be in training for several months. The goal will be to train without incurring injury and to peak towards the end of the season when top performance times are needed.

There are 3 phases to the training season:

Base – which is long runs (endurance training) at a slower pace.

Lactate Training – usually 1 – 2 months running further than race distance at a pace about 15-20 seconds less than 5K race pace (tempos). These are not done every day, and more than on tempo is done.

Intervals – previously discussed.

Tempos and intervals can have similar benefits, but tempos can deteriorate the body, because there are no rest periods as in intervals. Also the length of the tempo or interval are dependent upon the distance the runner will be racing. Middle distance runners usually have shorter intervals than 5K or 10K runners.

For most distance runners, the intervals are called speed work because this stage fine tunes the athletes performance for those important races and the end of the season when time counts.

And during the entire season there is usually some base (endurance training) in each stage. Even during the interval stage runners will do some base days and some tempo days.

Regarding the attitude needed for intervals. This depends on the individual. I tend to be a task oriented person. When I ran track 40 years ago, I enjoyed 440 yd intervals more than any other training. I did 65 – 70 second intervals depending upon the number of intervals. I enjoyed the precise distance and timing on the track.

But most of us are not athletes, so I really question the value of interval training for most of us. Now if we just do not much time to exercise every day, then there can be some benefit to interval training, if one starts out slow and is careful. Even mechanical equipment can cause injuries.

As Craig pointed out, swimming is great exercise and can be low impact… if you have access to a pool. I had a roommate in college who was a nationally ranked butterfly swimmer and he was in phenomenal shape. He could do 70 push ups in 60 seconds.

So what is best for the average backpacker here on BPL? For me I try to do a hike every weekend, whether it is a day hike with my wife or a solo over-night trip. During the week when I have to work, I try to do a minimum of 1 hour per day at the gym. 30 minutes on any elliptical and 30 minutes on several stations for varied muscle groups. When time permits, I run a few miles. The weight training are light weights with 3 sets of 15 or 20 reps. Sometimes I run and go to the gym each day. But none of the training is "intense" intervals. This routine also requires that I eat more than most people my age. Before I started this exercise routine a few years ago, I ate a lot less and maintained my weight. Unfortunately, the past two months I have not been doing the weekly exercise, but have been doing day hikes on weekends. Since I have not adjusted my caloric intake, I have gained around 20 lbs, and suddenly weigh more than I ever have. So, this week I just started making time to get back into my exercise routine.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

its all up to a person on how many calories they want to burn up in a given interval …

the more intense the exercise, usually the higher the burn

there are plenty of high intensity exercises that are safe and non impacting … swimming, stationary biking, etc …

i do not count walking on flats among them … youll burn more calories golfing

ultimately if you do want to TRAIN … you will have to make a sacrifice, just like anything else

its much easier to do something if you train hard for it,

train hard and the fight is easy as boxers say …

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Holy Moly,

Tom and I agree!!"

Heck, Nick, if we went beyond our Ayn Rand vs Karl Marx dialogue, I'll bet you'd find we have a lot in common, starting with a shared love/experience of backpacking and running. If I recall correctly from one our past thread interactions, at one time you did a lot of backpacking in the southern Sierra, which right off the bat puts you on my short list. You ran hard early in life, and well; it took me until I was in my early 40's, but we were both passionate about it and, to a significant degree, it defined who we were for years; I'd venture to say we both still bask in the warm afterglow of the experience. We both are head over heels in love with wonderful women from racial/ethnic backgrounds vastly different from our own, and have been enriched in countless ways as a result. We both earned whatever success we have attained in life the hard way. I could go on, but I think this is enough to make the point that we have more in common than we have apart. My 2 cents. But I digress; back to running.

Edited to substitute Ayn Rand for John Galt.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"i do not count walking on flats among them … youll burn more calories golfing"

I think that very much depends on how fast one is walking, and whether or not the golfer is carrying his own bag, and whether or not he is walking or riding in a golf cart. ;)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

>> I'll bet you'd find we have a lot in common

Yep. I just like to stir the pot. Upper management in my company has learned NOT to ask my opinion, unless they really want to know what I think :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Yep. I just like to stir the pot."

Stir away, and I'll add an occasional dollop of spice. You never know, we might even get invited on "Iron Chef". ;)

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Since all the trails I hike are now covered in snow, I have taken my training inside for the winter.

I wanted to stay with "hiking" based exercise, so I stared doign the treadmill.

I set the speed on 3 to 3.5 mph, and vary the elevation between 15 and 0 for my intervals.

I simply set it up to 15 and go till my heart rate gets up near the top of my training zone, then drop it to 0 till I recover…rinse, repeat for a hour.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yep, in winter the gym is great. I wear a heart rate monitor and hit the stairmaster and the eliptical. Use the right amount of resistance on the latter and you will get a good low impact aerobic workout that actually strengthens your legs. Great for losing weight too, but you've gotta do it four times a week! Also, try hands free for a real sweatfest.

Of course, nordic skiing trumps everything.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

x-country skiing and snowshoeing- you won't get much better than that- plus your getting out!

although I have to admit elk hunting in the snow is pretty darn good exercise as well :)

Val C

@goosebumps

Olympic-style lifting plus the isolation work that I do plus hiking/snowshoeing/long walks keeps me me fit and it's fun as hell. On more than one hike I've appreciated having upper body strength too, in addition to bomber leg and core fitness. I'm working on the mental piece by training for my first competition. It's all useful and transferable.

Adding trekking poles will increase the intensity of your hikes.

Find some activities you like to do… experiment and reap the benefits. Proper technique, as someone posted, is key.
    Have fun.

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

Walking in snow is actually pretty fantastic exercise. It's essentially walking with added resistance and instability, which should both increase the aerobic base and strengthen the leg's stabilizing muscles and train one's sense of balance.

All through highschool (and most of middleschool) I spent several months a year walking 2 miles each way to school and back through lake-effect snow (I'm from the Buffalo, NY area) which went from deep and heavy to crusted down and uneven to thickly iced over after the inevitable freezing rain hit. Once I was able to grow a beard, I enjoyed showing up in the morning with a chinful of frost; everyone thought I was crazy (they were probably at least a little right). I give this experience a lot of credit in the fact that I've never rolled an ankle or slipped on slick surfaces (I'm sure it'll happen, but I think the snow-walking helps).

So skis and treadmills and ellipticals and whatever are great, but don't skip the sidewalk/trail just because the powder's knee deep. Just be sure you're wearing waterproof footwear!

Where I live we just got our first snow on Saturday, and I am thrilled. Though the 10-mile bicycle commute to class tomorrow morning with forecasted freezing rain may be less pleasant… ah well, it's the last week of class.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Mark,
    With your location you have the perfect setup for intense winter workouts plus you can be in the outdoors vs. the stuffy old gym. I have found few activities that are as intense as snowshoeing with elevation gain. And you have some prime locations on the east side that are nearly inaccessable to folks coming from the bay area.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I have found few activities that are as intense as snowshoeing with elevation gain."

A huge +1. I would add that for those who do not have access to that kind of snowshoeing, or live in warmer climes, working out in a gym on a Step Mill(NOT a Stairmaster) can provide a reasonable approximation. This is particularly true if you wear a pack with, say, 20# or so to simulate a winter day hike load.

Jamie Hout

@jamiehout

it is better to accompany your training and exercise with health products and supplements. I have been using this product 'colon cleanse'

Jamie

Any more spamming like this and you will be banned.

Colon cleansing indeed! Brain cleansing might be more useful in this case.
    And one does NOT need dodgy health products from the seedy underworld of pseudo-medicine either.

Yours
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light
    PS: to the rest of our readers – sorry about that, but really…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"article marketing … with intent of driving traffic to an affiiate offer to make money!"

That's not what you're trying to do, is it Jamie?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"That's not what you're trying to do, is it Jamie?"

Perish the thought! Shame on you, Douglas!!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

interesting second post on the forums

Mike Spain
    Spectator

@maspain

Locale: Georgia

I am curious to hear opinions on training with a weighted pack, not necessarily with all your gear. I bought 50 lbs of bird seed for $12 and have filled a couple layers of garbage bags and put it in my pack. It weighs 25 lbs to start. Then hit the treadmill for 30 min or so as time allows. My plan is keep increasing weight and time, then to hit the local park that has 10-20 miles of trails 1-2 times per week as the weather improves.

Thoughts?

Mike

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

if endurance and power are your goals then training with a weighted pack will be helpful.

if speed is your goal (a fastpacking project) then never train with a pack heavier than the one you will use on your project. training with a heavy pack makes you stronger, but I've found it slows your cadence and pace.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Mike,
    My suggestion for treadmill workout without knowing what kind of physical condition you're in. Keep the pack at home.

Assume your 80% max speed is 4.0mph
    Absolutely no holding on!

Workout 1 – Speed

@.5deg incline
    warmup from 3.0 to 4.0 over 10 minutes increasing .1mph per minute.

Start of workout
    5 minutes at 4.0
    Ramp up from 4.0 to absolute max (like you're falling off) increasing .1mph per minute
    After max speed reached recover at 4.0 for 5 minutes.

Repeat at 3,6 & 9 deg incline.
    cooldown starting at 4.0mph decreasing .1 mph per minute down to 3mph.

Look to maintain your max speed on each incline.

Workout 2 – Incline

@.5deg incline
    warmup from 3.0 to 4.0 over 10 minutes increasing .1mph per minute.

Start of workout
    Increase 1 deg per minute up to say 10-12 deg incline. (increase over time)
    Walk 20 minutes at max elevation (increase over time.)
    Decrease 1 deg per minute down to .5 deg incline.
    cooldown starting at 4.0mph decreasing .1 mph per minute down to 3mph.

Workout 3 – Running
    Warmup walk then run at comfortable speed for x minutes.

Workout 4 – Decline
    If you are lucky enough to have a gym with a decline then you can also max walk this at a decline.

Each of these workout will work slightly different muscles and can significantly increase your comfortable walking speed. I found that my natural walking speed has significantly increased. It now a sporting event to walk next to the moving sidewalk in the tunnel of the ATL airport and outpace everyone walking on the moving sidewalk. These are also great cardio workouts. I generally will have my heartrate up over 170 at the max point in these routines.

Enjoy

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I hate "training".

I love integrating "trip preparation" into my lifestyle.

I like simplicity, and like to apply Occam's Razor to this, focusing on five things:

– insulinemic stability
    – simplicity
    – time constraints
    – observable, and measurable results
    – no suffering

I've also learned that training is pretty overrated for backpacking, unless you are seriously out of shape. A light pack, low body fat, and a good diet go farther than gym time.

Here's my approach.

1. If you are overweight, lose the weight. This is not training. It's just a prerequisite. Until you lose the weight, forget about training. If you're a man, get your body fat down below 20% (measured w/calipers etc., not BMI). Then you can start training.

2. Don't waste a lot of time. High intensity, short duration, frequent. Think 10 minute workouts to the point of collapse, 3-6 times a day. Much easier to integrate into a normal lifestyle, and high intensity short duration transfers extremely well to backpacking. There is a myth that "to get in shape for backpacking, go backpacking". A fine thought but a huge investment of time if you aren't a thru-hiker, and very painful for the first few weeks.

3. Be simple. Do your workout in the bathroom, or the office, or your house, or on the side of the road. Best ones for backpackers: high repetitions of unweighted full squats, or, to improve your strength as the season gets closer, full squats while wearing a big pack. Squats, and push ups for core development. Do both until you are ready to puke. It takes less than 10 minutes. Repeat 3-6 times a day. No gym membership, no equipment, no fooling around, and it just plain works.

4. Forget aerobic fitness. Once you lose the weight you'll get there soon enough. Mostly, when you're out of breath on the trail, it's because your quads are underdeveloped, your core is sloppy, you are carrying too heavy of a pack, you are carrying too heavy of a gut, or you've screwed up your insulin stability with crappy foods.

5. Eliminate bad foods. Bad foods for backpackers: anything that has a high insulinemic index (ignore glycemic index, you're not a marathon runner), whether it's on the trail, or at home. Don't count calories. Just eat, and eat slowly (so you can better sense when you're full). Ramp up protein significantly so you can build your muscle mass (especially after you lose your weight). Eat lean meats and don't make high fat foods a staple at home while you're "training" and "optimizing your body weight/mass" (see below). Don't fool around with "diet" membership programs (WW et al.). They're only there to take your money, and have no clue what a backpacker needs.

If you are doing a "big trip", target a body fat reserve so that after you do your calorie balance and calculate how much body fat you'll lose on the trip (see here for an example that works well enough), make sure you have 3-5% in reserve. Example: if you're going on a 3 week expedition and you know you are going to lose 15 lbs of body fat to help fuel you in addition to the food you bring, you weigh 160 lbs:

– your 5% body fat reserve = 0.05 * 160 = 8 lbs
    – add this to the 15 lbs that you'll burn = 23 lbs
    – target body fat % at 160 lbs = 23/160 = 14.4%

In other words, you wouldn't want to take your body fat below 14.4%. If you do, then you better pack more food, etc. etc. But don't take this to an extreme. If you are carrying more than 20% of body fat, this little theory goes sort of goes to pot: lose the weight.

You can use cheap calipers, a buddy to help, the 7-point Jackson-Pollack method, and a bathroom scale to monitor all this.

It's way, way simpler that fooling around with a personal trainer and an expensive gym membership, and in my experience, a whole lot more effective. If it's simple, and you can see the results, you'll believe it, and you'll stick to it.

Plus, it's really easy to maintain, and you'll be fit for the rest of your life because it's that simple.

This allows me to work at a desk all week and then go rip it up with 30 mile days on the weekend, and I sure ain't no Andy Skurka…! After a holiday binge, I returned to the above and since 12/28 have lost 10 lbs and reduced body fat by more than 3%, and I haven't set foot in a gym or done any workout longer than 15 minutes or starved myself or counted calories or do or feel anything else that would indicate that I feel like I'm sacrificing anything.

Caveat: I still eat pizza once a week ;)

Brian Gentry

@treegreen

This is my first post, although I've lurked for a while, and I think Ryan has provided some very good advice with a focus on the types of foods we're eating. You can eat more as long as that more is better for you. As far as training, I've been doing Crossfit for a while now and it definitely made a difference in my aerobic endurance and strength while hiking. Unfortunately, many local boxes are just taking advantage of the "fitness craze" and charging outrageous prices. My wife and I are lucky enough to live near an very reasonably priced affiliate and have loved every minute of it. We don't pay any more than we would for a normal gym membership and have the added benefit of working with trainers and a class atmosphere.

The types of full body training they do has been really helpful because during the "off-season" (we don't winter camp and live in intermountain west so that's a number of months where we'd be otherwise sedate except for skiing/snowboarding) we're still working on aerobic and strength interval training. That being said, I think one of the bigger things that have helped our overall health has been a more concerted approach at eating better and identifying local vendors that provide things like lean grass-fed meats and free range chicken. I've been surprised how much better I feel and how much more energy we have just cutting out random things like overly processed foods and sugars.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools