Topic

Tarp/bug advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp/bug advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I am starting to think about diving in to the world fo tarps. By biggest hangup is the bugs. I bug bivy just feels too constrictive to me.

I would love some advice on a setup of a tarp and bug protection combo that is for a solo hiker and is somewhat affordable. Hard for me to spend hundreds.

Of course the lighter weight the batter. I envision something under 24oz total. Maybe I am dreaming, especially on a budget.

I am not opposed to MYOG either, especially the bug part.

Help!

Cheers

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

MLD bug shelter with BPL NANO Tarp

Check out MLD Serenity shelter and Alpinlite bug shelters–lots of room- not a bivy or a bear coffin..good prices too!
    Both of the shelters work great under a tarp.

Alpinlite Bug Shelter 2.0

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Thanks Jay. Where do I find the Alpinlit? I cant seem to find it on the net

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Also a new company bearpawtents.com.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I can second BearPaw tents. John has been really great to accommodate my custom modifications to the two bug nets I got (Pyra Net 1 and 2).

I'm currently experimenting with a bugnet under an MLD Trailstar. The Trailstar is plenty big for two people, and HUGE for one person. Both bugnets fit under the trailstar nicely (one at a time!), but if you have to pitch it low in storm mode, the nets get a little saggy.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'd head over to Gear Swap and pick up that GG Spinntwinn Couch is selling, and then head over to the already suggested Alpinlite Gear and get one of their Net Tents. I'd recommend Mountain Laurel Designs, who also make high-quality gear, but at this point, it's be fall and bug season over by the time you got your gear.

As you can see from Jay's picture, if you opted for afull-silnylon front door on the nettent, and you get a large (8'x10'-ish) tarp, you have what amounts to a double wall a-frame shelter for 1/3 the weight.

Or you could look at a hybrid like Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy. Ron at SMD even publishes the MYOG pattern if you wanted to make your own.

The Spinntwin + either one of those options gets you shelter and bug protection for about under 20oz when you and in line and stakes.

If you haven't settled on a tarp yet, I can also recommend Oware tarps. I had their Cattarp2 and liked it a lot before moving to a cuben tarp. Good prices and ships quickly too.

Also, as far as MYOG, there's probably no easier project than buying $60 or so worth of sinylon and some grosgrain and making a 8'x10' tarp out of it.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Yeah, that HMG setup is pretty nice. But, "WOW" $490 is a bit steep for me. I have the GG Spinnshelter and the Alpinlite 1.25. The weight is pretty much the same and I saved $176 in the process.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Ditto on the Meteor Bivy.
    It feels a lot less claustrophobic than your standard bivy. It has a huge bugnet top half, but still protect against splash on the lower half.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Kris,

I leave in 2 days for the JMT and I'm wishing I had gotten a bug insert under my SpinnTwin. I have a cheap basic floorless white pyramid net for hanging out in Yosemite Valley and then my TiGoat bivy with netting for the remainder of the trip. It should be fine (I have a headnet too) but I think I will miss the ability to lay down in an bug shelter.

btw, Granite Gear also makes a 2 person net shelter called The Haven, with slightly different specs than the Alpinlite series, but it might be available at local stores.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"Yeah, that HMG setup is pretty nice. But, "WOW" $490 is a bit steep for me"

That's the biggest down side to Cuben :(

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

Jay – what size tarp are you using with the Bug Shelter 2.? Do you think I would encounter any issues in using the shelter with a square tarp?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I am thinking of doing a Bear Paw Tent bug bivy and tarp combo where the tarp can use some of the hoop for framing and then stake down different corners. What do people think of this and is there something else I should be looking at?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I'm not sure, but I don't think it would hold up in strong wind without some kinda pole.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Brett,
    If you were to use the hoop in that bivy as support for your tarp, I think you'd be uncomfortable. The tarp canopy would be way too close to you, making condensation and space big issues. That hoop is only 16" high, and the entire tarp would just be incredibly low to the ground.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Actually I am going to get a bug bivy that is about 22-24" high with he hoop because I am a side sleeper. I am only putting the tarp on when it rains.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Ben, That is a BPL NANO tarp at a 9ft length by 8.6ft front width and 5.8ft back width..Comes in at around 6oz. Perfect for a solo hiker are a friendly duo….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!