Topic

Clothing For Wind Rivers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Clothing For Wind Rivers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am heading to the wind rivers for a week, and am looking for advise on my clothing system. I will be heading out of elkhart park trailhead, over Knapsack col, and into titcomb basin.

Top:
    Raingear Top 16.20
    Nylon LS top 11.00
    Synthetic Top (poly) 8.40
    Marmot Ion windshirt 6.00
    Pat. Down Sweater 12.00

Bottom:
    Nylon Convertible Pants 14.40
    Raingear Bottom 8.00
    Running Shorts 2.50
    Underarmour Bottoms Long 4.00

Other:
    Bandanna 1.00
    Soloman Wings 26.80
    Cap OR 2.00
    Gloves/Polartec 1.40
    Socks smart wool 2.40
    Socks Darn Tough 2.00
    Stocking Hat UA 1.40

I am not sure the Windshirt would be usefull since if it gets cold, I could layer the synthetic top under my nylon LS shirt.

Any thoughts?

I don't really want to buy anything new, but I might if it is nessesary.

Thanks

Any thoughts??

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I know that route well! It's beautiful!

I would take the wind shirt. A nice layer for minimum weight an bulk.

I am a little unclear, do you have a short sleeve shirt? It can feel pretty hot mid-summer.

16 oz is heavy for a rain coat. I've used the DriDUCKS for years in the winds. It's an awesome layer in an environment where it doesn't rain too much. (and this is an inexpensive substitution)

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I do not plan to have a shortsleeve shirt, my plan is to just roll up the sleeves on the LS nylon shirt. It has a mesh back cape and pit zips (that are not to funcional), so it is rather cool for a long sleeve. The rail coat is a red ledge parka. I know it is heavy, but I don't really want to spend the $ on a new one since I have not even used this one yet after having it for 3 years.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Too many bottom layers. At most take 2 of the 4.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

A lightweight wind shirt, I've found, adds a surprising amount of warmth. Better yet, the flies won't bite through it at rest stops. The flies were the reason I got my first windshirt after a trip to the Winds two years ago!

Expect temps to the low 20's or upper teens and snow. Last year there was close to a foot of snow reported in Titcomb Basin on August 8 and 15. It melts fast, but is not unusual at those altitudes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools