Topic

Help! Quilt Stitch – Foot Box

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help! Quilt Stitch – Foot Box

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I’m making a Ray-way quilt and discovered I lost the instructions after page 6. As far as I can tell, what I’m missing is the instructions for quilting with the quilting thread, and the instructions for forming the foot box.

Since Jardine no longer answers correspondence (per his website), t seemed fair to me to ask you all for help. Does anyone have specific or general knowledege on the quilt stitch and the footbox formation you can share? Thanks! Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you prefer. Thanks in advance!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

I think I can figure out the footbox, but there was a particular stitch for hand quilting the insulation… Thanks!

Jay Ham

@jham

Locale: Southwest

I made one of these about 8 years ago from the description in Ray’s book. If the technique is the same now as then, you cut a piece of card stock (cereal box material) as wide as your bag is thick (loft thickness). This will be used as a spacer to guide how much quilting thread you need.

Using the quilting thread, hand sew down and up through the fabric leaving two loose ends on top. Put your spacer card stock between the loose ends and tie around the card stock using a square knot or similar. After sliding out the card stock, you can separate the fabrics by sliding the top fabric up the quilting thread.

Ray might have a different way of doing this now, but this works. You might wait a day or so until some others can confirm or offer other suggestions.

Jay
    MYOG

mark henley

@flash582

Exactly!

Use a BIG quilting needle, I used one with a rounded end, and “wrap” the yarn around your cardstock. Tie the yarn into a knot and trim …

The other piece is that you need to lay out a grid on the blanket with a chalk pencil …. one dot every 18 inches in each direction, give or take, for where to place your threads.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Let’s see…

Yeah the card stock idea is correct, except I would suggest using something with less flex, like plastic or something.

For the foot box, I assume you have already cut the quilt into the trapezoid shape, so just fold the smaller ends together and stich about 12 inches together, and then sew a piece of webbing accross the where the foot pocket opens up for reinforcement. Good luck!!!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

thanks folks! should post pic in a day or so. Know it’s small change to you all, but it’s my first DIY project… Appreciate the help

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Ohhhh yeah, and the grid for the yarn loops should be about 10″ squares, not 18″ as someone posted earlier, to give the quilt panel more structure.

Jeff Jackson

@just_jeff

Locale: Colorado's Front Range

I just used part of a cardboard box I had laying around – no flex at all there. I used a pretty small needle b/c it’s all I had, but I can see where a rounded quilting needle would have made it easier.

I think I used 18″ squares on my kids’ quilts and haven’t had a problem, but we’re pretty easy on the gear.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools