Topic

Pitching the SoloMid- HELP PLEASE!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pitching the SoloMid- HELP PLEASE!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Hi any Solomid users.

I'm the proud owner of a Cuben Yellow MLD SoloMid. I've seam sealed it and applied climbers chalk to stop the seams sticking, and my first pitch has been a disaster- what am I doing wrong?

Back of tent

This shot is of the back, no worries, so far.

front sag

but this is what is happening at the front on both sides- problem!

I'm using Pacer Poles, at maximum height- with the extension jacks supplied by MLD to take the pole length to a total of 152 for each pole. This leaves me a nice space to live in the middle.

This is what the top of the tent looks like when I use the Pacer Poles- I'm worried that water will pool there, and despite my sealing, leak through.

I think the poles are too long, but any advice would be appreciated. I tried with normal poles, shorter in length, but still couldn't get the sag out of the front.

When I first staked out the tent, I did the corners tightish, but not soooo tight, and then inserted the poles and staked out the front and back.

If I can't get it working, watch out on Gear Swap- but I'd like to get it working. I've pitched tarps before plenty, and never had such a disaster. I'd be there trying now, but the cops moved me on (Barcelona cops- haven't they got anything better to do?).

cheers,
    fred

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Fred – I had some issues setting up my solo when I first got it too. After getting some great tips here (Thanks Thom!) I no longer have any issues. Here is what I was told and what I found worked best for me:

1. stake in one side of the solo first. left or right, it does not matter.

2. take your poles at whatever height you have them (I have mine set at 145cm) and place them in an inverted V with the handles sticking into the topmost portion of the peak.

3. Now pull the poles so that the side you staked in is now taught.

4. Let go of the poles and grab the fabric for the un-staked side and stake it down. Make sure that it remains taught. Then stake out the front and back as needed.

I think I have some photos on here of the pitch and will add them if I can find it.

Edit: The photos are located here – http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27041&skip_to_post=223798#223798

you can see how the poles are set up in the solo main area and in the peak.

Prashant Menon
    Spectator

@sphynx

I spent about thirty minutes trying to get my Duomid taut two weeks back, and that was my first time pitching a tarp/mid style tent. My solution, if I remember correctly, was to make sure that the pole was high and tight & then focus on both of the shorter triangular panels, making sure that when taut, they weren't at an angle toward the center pole. Prior to that, one side or the other would look a lot like your 'problem' picture.

Here's the best I managed:

DuoMid

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

In my experience, to get a tight, even pitch, all four corners of the shelter must be in the same plane. If one or more corners is higher or lower, it throws the whole thing off.

I try first to pin the rear corners to the ground, then float the front corners with guylines. If I have a flat spot on one corner in the back, I extend the opposite back corner off the ground with a guyline. Seems to work.

I don't know where that divot in the peak is coming from.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

The main think I'm noticing is the way you have the handles of the poles pressing on the front and back rather than snug in the two corners on the tip.
    I don't know how to describe it, but the handles should be more side by side (facing opposite directions of course), and the poles shouldn't really be criss crossing so much, just sort of meeting at the top. The top is wide rather than coming to a point since the solomid sorta requires two poles.
    Even so, I've been setting mine up with a single poles and running a guyline. Just make sure the pole handles are in the highest point possible.

This is sort of redundant, but here's how I set up.

1. Lay the solomid out and stake all four corners tight to the ground. (I usually leave an inch or two of guyline so I can tighten later without haveing to restake)

2. Climb under and insert poles, or akwardly reach under from outside. Make sure those poles are both in the top though, and not pushing on the big front and back panels

3. Once I've got the poles in, if I inserted them from outside I would now enter and adjust the poles to make sure they're just right.

4. Exit and then guy out the two mid-panel tie-outs on the front and back

The main thing it looks like you're doing is not having everything staked out far enough. Laying it flat and staking before you put the poles is makes it easier to get everything taught.
    If you're still having trouble, feel free to set it up off the ground a few inches and play around with it to get a better understanding of the shape and pitch.

Hope this helps
    If you have any questions, PM me and I'll set mine up and take some photos of everything.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    As far as the poles go, I think the Pacer Poles, with their handle tops, are a bit of a strange fit for the shelter.
    I might try them up side down, using the MLD extenders and the rubber feet at the top of the shelter next time.
    When I use them in my ShangrLa 3, I have less of a problem as there is only one handle in the cup, and even then it is still kindo of odd.
    cheers,
    fred

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

Talking about it got me all excited, so I went out and took some photos.
    Hope they help.

Mine is silnylon, so the stretch probably helps a bit with an imperfect set up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21196968@N04/4616276562/in/photostream

If that link doesnt work, just search 'MLD Solomid' on flickr or search for photos by 'boyofpoise'

As you can see, the two poles are sort of always going to be a little crooked, but I think the snugger they are in the 'pockets' the better.

Oh, and I also took some photos of the solomid set up with a single pole and guyline for anyone who's interested.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Thanks for all the helpful replies to Fred – good info.

#1 key is to stake out the corners first in a tight rectangle with good 90 degree corners.

Stake them tight..Tight!!!- stake the corners for front edge first – then as you stake out the rear corners watch the front corners and go for a good 90degree angle in all the corners.

Then insert pole(s) – It should take only about a minute with practice and will pitch very tight.

#1 Mistake is to pitch it loose thinking you will then use the line locks to adjust it to get tight. It can be done- but a lot of running around making adjustments.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Thanks for posting Ron. I wasn't going to bother you in the trail days week, but your insight is much appreciated.
    Maybe put this on the webpage for the product?
    Great shelter- love the weight!!
    cheers,
    fred

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Hi all,

This time it worked- superb shelter, I'll be out for a few nights real soon. Thanks to Ron for the instructions. I found using the guy lines much easier than staking the shelter straight down.

success

I'm wondering if this is kosher long term. I fiddled around with the pacer poles and found this configuration to give the best pitch, but I'm worried about the ridge and stressing the patch for the poles. Any thoughts?

detail

Thanks again everyone- can't wait to get out there!!

fred

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools