Topic

Trail running – carrying water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Trail running – carrying water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

What have people done to carry water when running? My camelback is overkill for the distances I cover, but carrying a bottle in my hand is annoying, and I don’t like the sloshy feeling of a half-empty bottle in fanny/lumbar pack.

Ben

Gear Meister

@gearmeister

There are some small Camelbaks. They take up to a 2L bladder, but you could just use a 1L if that is a better size for your length of trail run.

The pack only has about 200 cubic inches of additional volume and an external bungee arrangement for securing a windshirt or rainjacket.

They are so small that they don’t even have webbing for a waist belt – no waist belt at all. It is a nice model, I forget the name right now, but the shoulder straps and sternum strap secure it just fine. It’s also short enough that you could also use a fanny pack while wearing the small Camelback if you take a slightly run or day-hike.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Meister – thanks for the input. Does anyone make a fanny pack that uses a bladder rather than a bottle pocket?

Ben

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

There are several hydration fanny packs available.

For shorter runs, I use an MSR XOOM (no longer sold, unfortunately). I also have a Golite Hare, which is a little larger than the XOOM, but doesn’t ride quite as well (on me).

Camelback offers 3 fanny packs with bladders in varying sizes: Alterra, Catalyst, and FlashFlo.

There are probably others; these are just the ones I’m familiar with. You can also make your own. Just find a fanny pack you like and add a Platypus Hoser or MSR hydration kit.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

sounds good – http://www.gearx.com has a bunch of Ultimate Direction gear on sale, and it looks like they primarily make hydration and fanny packs. Thanks for the tips – I didn’t know if anyone had any nifty ideas that I hadn’t thought of.

Ben

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Howdy Ben:

You won’t have any problems with water sloshing around if you use bladders. As you suck water out, the bladder collapses due to the “vacuum effect” — preventing any water movement.

I would say any decent lumbar pack will do — just match the size of the bladder to your needs.

The Other Ben.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have one of these Nalgene packs with a 1.8 liter Platypus squeeezed in. I’ll put it up for sale if you are interested. (I did on 9/21, see my “odds and ends” post in the swap forum.)

Nalgene fanny pack

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Ben,
    Unlike you I’m a water pig. On a long hot run I’ll load 3-1/2 quarts Gatorade in my Camelbak and throw a 1-1/4 quart Nalgene cantene bladder on top of it in my ancient Mountain Smith lumbar pack. It has excellent stabilization straps and carries this 9-1/2 lb load well. Near the end of my run I’m only carrying a quart and it still carries well. So for your size load I would think it would be easy to find a suitable fanny pack.

Just make sure you buy the bladder first and take it filled with you on your fanny pack shopping trips. Load up the pack and do some serious running in the store (or outside if they’ll let you) before you purchase.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Al,

Well, keep in mind that your definition of a long run may be different from mine ;). In south Texas right now the temps are around 100% and the humidity isn’t far behind, and I’m too much of a weenie to run for more than about an hour in that.

Thanks for the tips – this should all help a lot.

Ben

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools