Topic

Site selection for larger shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Site selection for larger shelters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

For those of you who use larger shelters such as MLD Trailstar, any of the larger pyramids, or other large tarps, do you find it difficult to choose a good site to pitch it?

The thing about floorless shelters is that even if there is a boulder, or small shrub, you can pitch over them if needed.

So, what are your experiences with finding large tent sites, and what are some of the creative pitching techniques you've discovered when dealing with this?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

It totally depends on where you hike. If you're in a place where you're more likely to camp in established sites, sometimes those sites aren't big enough for a large shelter. Sometimes the person with the large shelter squeezes other group members into less ideal, but doable sites. In some regions (the pacific northwest comes to mind) shelter sites can be hard to find because there is so much ground cover. You simply can't pitch a tent on endless expanses of huckleberry bushes. Many places this isn't much of a concern though.

Floorless shelters are indeed better because of the reason that you state.

One way that I deal with this is that I'm fit, and I keep hiking. I've run in to situations where I just need to keep putting in miles, even when I don't want to, because there is nowhere to camp. Look at maps, it can help. Camp near water, people have usually found a place to camp near there before. Having an oversized shelter will mean that you can't camp in the same places as someone who has a bivy. Please don't rip up shrubs or level sites permanently to camp in a spot. I also sometimes just drape a tent over myself if I'm dealing with a drizzle.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I've often wonder the same thing……I look forward to the responses.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>Please don't rip up shrubs or level sites permanently to camp in a spot.

No worries, Jack. I just rip out plants and shrubs for the night then replant them in the morning.

JUST KIDDING!! : )

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You're supposed to replant them? Dang…

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Why replant them when they make such good kindling……

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Anyone else? Eh, I guess this is a shameless bump.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools