Topic

Small vs regular Neo Air

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Small vs regular Neo Air

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I am planning to buy a neo air and can't decide between small and regular. I'm used to using a BPL torso pad but the Neo Air is quite think in comparison. For those who use the small (with a pack under the legs) is it comfortable or does is feel like one's legs are dangling out of bed? Any opinions? There's approx 5 ounces in the difference. Mike

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

When I tried the small I woke up with sore knees from the dangling. I think it depends a lot on your height and where your knees fall on the mat though. It also depends on how much you inflate it.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Chris,

Yes, that's exactly what I am concerned about. May I ask your height? M

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Michael,

The key is probably the level of firmness to which you inflate it.

I use a small NeoAir. I'm 5'10" and it goes from my head to my knees(my knees are on the pad). I inflate it to a pretty firm level, and sleep on my stomach. I've never had the feel of my knees falling off a cliff. Despite making it pretty firm, it does give enough that it's not 2.5" high where my legs come off it.

Before I bought it, I used a couple CCFs and stacked them to create a 2.5" high simulated NeoAir to see if the 'knees falling off' would be an issue, and it wasn't, even at that level of firmness. YMMV.

Edit: My underleg padding was my empty GG Gorilla with the .75" thick sitlight pad. The only time I got sore sore was when I forgot to take out the aluminum frame and it ended up under me knees.

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Locale: OVER YONDER'

I'm 6'1" and the smalls 47" is a nice fit for me. What I do is dump my clothes bag and minimize the 2.5" drop off and it feels just fine. The regular is great but not needed if you try the extra clothes method. Works like a charm

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm 5'8 (and don't carry extra clothing).

Wallace Hunter
    Spectator

@jeepingetowah

Locale: South Central

I am 5'9" myself and I got the small originally. If it were summer all the time or I had $$$ to buy different setups, I would keep it. But at the price point, $149 I am going with the 14 oz regular over the 9 oz small.

It is winter in TX and I find that I wake up chilled or cold from my feet being on the ground. I do honestly feel a little uncomfortable though from the shortness of the pad. I have tried to put my pack or anything under my feet, but I just have not found anything that works. And even if I was going on the AT, I would still not even be carrying enough clothes to put under my feet! :D

So, IMO, I am going with the 72" version to have a truly beautiful nights rest on the trail. After all, a good nights rest makes hiking all day that much easier/better.

Hope that helps.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I am very happy with the short neoair but our alternative is a short exped down filled mat.
    We are 5'6" and 5'9" we sleep with our heads off the mat on a pillow and stuff sacks, with rucksacks and sometimes a bit of foam over under our feet. It does make a difference how much you inflate the mat too.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have been using a short exped downmat (47" and 20.4oz without the pumpsack) with a stuff sack pillow above the mat and my pack below the mat. I am 5' 9" and this has worked pretty well, but I just sold the exped and ordered a custom 60" downmat from Kookabay.

My biggest complaint was keeping my pack under my feet, the pad under my torso, and the pillow under my head all at the same time. With the tossing and turning I do it was making it more difficult. Adding to this has been a change to using a quilt and all the moving makes it harder to keep the quilt bundled up as well.

This isn't as much of an issue in mild temps but as I head south of freezing, it just wasn't working as well as I hoped.

60" should comfortably cover me from shoulder to feet and I will put my pack under the pillow to gain a little more height for the new 3.5" thick pad. Elevating my head should also help cut down on snoring. I am also having the pad width increased to 24" wide and the weight will remain the same as my exped mat.

These certainly aren't ultralite weights by any means, but these types of pads are extremely warm and take up much less space in my pack than closed cell pads. More importantly however, is the great nights sleep.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

I am having a similar debate on what size Neoair to get. For me, I think having a little extra weight but sleeping better is worth it. I am trying to scrimp on weight in every other gear choice in order to use a regular, or possibly even a large neo air.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm 5'11" and I use a NeoAir Small in combination with a 1/2" thick CCF pad (1.6oz) under my feet. I'm a side sleeper and I like my NeoAir quite soft so that my hip is just barely bottoming out. If it's cold I'll inflate it a bit more, but for maximum comfort I like it really soft. The drop off might be an issue depending on how you sleep and if you have it inflated really hard, but for me it's a non-issue. My knees are on the NeoAir and with it at a low state of inflation there is hardly a drop off.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Wow, sevceral views. There seem to be 2 camps on this issue. Thanks for your input. I will have to weigh up the pros and cons and make a decision. –M

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"I think having a little extra weight but sleeping better is worth it."

Plus 1.

Being awake for ages in the middle of the night with cold legs is a no-no for me. They and the rest of me will be a lot less tired for carying 6 extra ounces of mattress during the day.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I started with a regular size neoair. But what I realized was that I could carry a backpack with extra padding and use it under my feet with a small neoair. The combination is more comfortable during the day with the better pack, pretty much the same at night with enough padding under my legs, and a wash in terms of overall weight.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I agree with Nia the weight difference is negligible. I just hate waking with me and the pad on one side of the tent, and the pack on the other.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

John's comments: "My biggest complaint was keeping my pack under my feet, the pad under my torso, and the pillow under my head all at the same time. With the tossing and turning I do it was making it more difficult. Adding to this has been a change to using a quilt and all the moving makes it harder to keep the quilt bundled up as well.

This isn't as much of an issue in mild temps but as I head south of freezing, it just wasn't working as well as I hoped."

This is exactly what I was experiencing. I too have ordered a Kookabay down 60X24 for the same reasons. I ordered mine before you, John, so I should be getting it soon! And I may be selling my short neoair if I like the Kookabay for year 'round. Right now my plan is to compensate for the extra 8-9 oz by switching from my 2 lb pack to either an Exodus or Mariposa Plus which are lighter. Anything to rationalize buying more gear…

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I'm 5' 8", a side sleeper, and have no problem with the small NeoAir. I love it actually. Depending on the trip I'll have either a Gossamer Gear Murmur pack under my feet or sometimes a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Both have a fair amount of padding. The Neo is my first torso length pad. I've not missed using a regular length pad at all.

G

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

The Kookabay pads look very interesting. Now you've got me really thinking. M

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Michael,
    I was going to get a Neoair small, but discovered KookaBay. I already have my order in.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Travis, Which model did you order?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I had him do a custom jobber. It was the 60x20x2.5 mummy with 4 ounces of down insulation. The custom part? A 30D nylon that's not listed on his website. This is lighter than the other fabrics he uses. My mat should weigh around 11 oz or less for a full 4-season pad.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Last winter I acquired the Neo and right off went out to use it on the snow (mid twenties), pairing it with a full length GG Thinlight. With a BPL pillow under my head, the top of the Neo at shoulder height and my pack under my legs, I didn't have a problem with my knees falling off the end – I'm 5'11". Those nights using the Neo were by far better than any I'd gotten using a closed cell pad.

One suggestion, go to your local gear shop with your pack, pillow, and extra cloths you may have for a trip and give it a road test. Happy trails!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

They seem similar in size shape, style and weight. Or am I missing something? I wonder if they could down fill one of those pads…

Edit: oops, didn't see the latest posts. Travis: that is interesting!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools