Topic

3-4 day loop in Colorado suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 3-4 day loop in Colorado suggestions?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I’ve done quite a bit of backpacking in Colorado, but there’s still so much more to see.  Do any of you have some favorite loops that offer incredible scenery with big, open valleys, rivers/streams, and high alpine lakes?  I’m thinking of something around 30 miles.  Proximity to Denver is a plus but not a necessity.  It would be nice to start off at lower elevations (around 8000-9000′) so I can acclimate as I’m not local to Colorado.

Right now, I was thinking of doing the Cross Creek Holy Cross wilderness loop starting at the Cross Creek trailhead and then climbing up into the Missouri lakes region, then back around to the Mt. of the Holy Cross trailhead(?).

I’ve been wanting to do the 4-pass loop in the Maroon Bells but carrying a bear cannister is not something I want to do…unless I can avoid carrying one and get away with it…

Maybe a section of the Colorado trail?  It’s possible to do a shuttle hike.

The Indian Peaks is a favorite of mine but I was thinking something a bit further away from Boulder and something that doesn’t require permits.  The Weminuche is beautiful but perhaps a bit far for this trip.

Thoughts?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Lost Creek Wilderness? I have not hiked it but hear good things.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I agree with John.  LCW fits the bill with the exception of lakes.  Loads of streams. You can piece together trails to make a loop as you mention.  No permit.  No bear canister.  No problem!

I’m doing a 3 day, 2 night, 26-28 mile loop there 6/24-26.

http://www.craigfagerness.com/hikelostcreekwilderness/map.jpg

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Any other ideas?  I’ve heard a lot of great things about the LCW, but I’m looking for something a bit more dramatic and higher elevation–think high alpine lakes, glacial valleys, etc.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I am very biased, but you should definitely do the Cross Creek loop in HC Wilderness. You won’t regret it. Let me know if you need beta.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Tim,

I should have mentioned that our plan is to go July 1-4.  Do you think there will be too much snow that time of year?  How is the snow generally this year?  I recall two years ago wanting to do the trip but due to the snow levels, we decided to do a loop in the Indian Peaks instead.  That was around mid-July, I think.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Hey David,

Of course it all depends how this month goes, but you should be looking pretty good to go fourth of July weekend. My girlfriend and a few of her friends did almost the same identical trip last year during the same weekend and only encountered  some snow on Fall Creek Pass. The snow water equivalent at the Vail mountain site is looking pretty identical to last year, despite that we have been a little cooler and more wet this spring. We’re slightly behind schedule in terms of runoff, but with the dry and warmer weather we’ve been getting here lately, I’d say in a month you should be good to go on the high alpine trails.

Bring your fishing rod and explore. There is a lot to see back there.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I would take a look at this article from a frequent contributor to this site.

http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-loops-mags-favorites

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

From Boulder?  Flat Tops?  It’s a quick drive west on I-70 to Flat Tops and Glenwood Springs with it’s hot springs pool for your post-hike recovery.

EDIT: Ah, you said you want high alpine.  Nevermind…

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

I was going to post what Randy already did. Paul knows the area well.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Hey guys,

I just called the Holy Cross Ranger District and they said, as of June 22, there is quite a bit of snow once you are 3 miles in from the Missouri Lakes Trailhead and that Missouri Pass will likely be tough to cross until mid to late July.  Thoughts about this?  I’ll be leaving a week from tomorrow (July 1-4).  I’m wondering if there is another loop (about 30 miles or so) that I should consider?  I’ve done Indians Peaks, looking for something a bit further out from Denver.  Holy Cross seems so beautiful with all the high alpine lakes.  Is there anything else within 3-4 hrs driving distance from Denver, without having to go all the way down to the San Juans / Weminuche?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Rawah Wilderness. Near Ft. Collins.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!