Topic

Trekking Poles – Shock or No?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking Poles – Shock or No?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Rice

@arice727

Locale: Michigan

Got it, thanks.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

No anti-shock for me. I fell several times when I slipped and planted the pole hard on rock, and the ^$% anti-shock *bounced* off the rock instead of digging in, and down I went. Boom.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Wow, I'm kinda amazed how lopsided this forum turned out. I didn't count, but it seems like its 10 to 1 in favor of rigid poles.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Maybe I'm not getting it, but I never understood the point of the shock. I just figured it was a marketing thing. Maybe someone can explain. I've just played around with some in stores and on the trail a bit and I've had some friends that used 'em.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I agree with Mary and most of the others. Antishock poles are noisier and more expensive, while adding no real value.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not noisy, no springs. More like skateboard truck bushings or something.

There was a video explaining the system. Not sure if it is still on here since I am running a browser without flash.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/trail-shock-compact

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Count me on the side of rigid poles.

I used anti-shock poles once…and promptly gave them away. I couldn't help but feel like I was never planting them firmly or they were flexing.

Anti-shock is a bunch of hype in my humble opinion.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I have the Leki Super Makalu's with antishock, and I actually like it. The spring is very rigid, so it doesn't flop around or make noise. I have to put considerable pressure on the pole for it to depress the spring all the way. For me, it does reduce the shock without any stupidness (over-hyped gizmo factor).

Manfred von Richthofen
    Spectator

@adama

I also hate the toy-sound of shocks on rocks. I always thought shocks were supposed to be better, but my first pair of poles were BD shock-less due to price. I recently got a second pair of BD trial shock poles at a great price, and I'm pretty excited about them. They don't seem to have as much cushion as the Lekis I've used and the shock isn't the standard spring on the bottom and doesn't seem to have near as much play.

Less cushion + no toy sound = wonderful. Maybe they won't live up to my expectations, however–I have yet to try them.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!