Topic

Wenger Evo S18 Pocket Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wenger Evo S18 Pocket Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

In the unending quest for the perfect hiking knife, I found this candidate ;) Wenger, the "other" Swiss Army Knife manufacturer makes several medium sized 3.5" models with a locking main blade, which is a feature I prefer. I also like to have scissors, saw, awl, can opener, tweezers and toothpick. This tool selection covers repairs, personal grooming and basic survival techniques for fire building, shelter making, food gathering and improvising.

Victorinox makes the Farmer, Hiker and Fieldmaster models that come close, but some miss out on scissors and none have locking blades. In fact, the only Victorinox models with locking blades are the 111mm models like the Trekker and others, with an increase in bulk and weight.

The Wenger S18 has the following tool list:

2.5" Locking Blade
    2.75" Double-cut wood saw
    2.4" Springless scissors with serrated self-sharpening design
    Large flat screwdriver
    Cap lifter
    Wire stripper
    Can opener
    Nail file
    Nail cleaner
    Phillips head screwdriver
    Reamer
    Awl
    Toothpick
    Tweezers
    Key ring

It all comes in a 3.2oz package. Cost was $29.50 US plus shipping from SwissOutpost.com.

It is a 4-layer design, making for a fat little knife, but it is comfortable in the hand with the ergonomic grips. I wouldn't want anything thicker. The weight puts it in the same ballpark with many other multi-blade knives, lighter multi-tools, and stouter 3.5" folding knives.

Wenger Evo S18 pocket knife

Wenger Evo S18 pocket knife

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Hey Dale,
    Cool knife. Scissors, saw, blade = nice. I'm holding out for a Swiss Bianco Alox Bushcrafter… Knife Geek!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Is SwissBianco doing a second run on those? He introduced those almost half a year ago I think.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

That's what I hear… on pins and needles.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

John,
    I just looked at a Bushcrafter on youtube. It looks to have a blade, saw, and some sort of awl or punch. That's the EXACT knife I've been wanting Victorinox to make! Is there anything you could tell me about these?

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Probably should've kept the secret to myself, now more competition when they come out… :-) Oh well, here goes: http://www.inmentis.com/SwissBianco/SwissBianco_NL_2009_4.htm

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

So the rest know what we are talking about…

Swiss Bianco makes customized Victorinox knives as well as his own designs as well as some splash anodized items.

The Victorinox Farmer is much like a Hiker model, but has anodized aluminum scales rather than plastic, no toothpick or tweezers, and the main blade is thicker.

So Swiss Bianco had a custom run of knives made, leaving the layer with the screwdriver/bottle opener and can opener out of the mix, making the knife slimmer, lighter, and leaving the most trail-worthy tools. He's asking $38-$42 for them. You can get a Farmer on eBay for $30 or so, making it a fair deal for a custom knife.

The slimmer knife is a great idea and moves to UL principles. I would LOVE to see the screwdriver layer replaces with scissors. You could pair the Bushcrafter up with an Alox Classic and have the scissors too.

See http://www.inmentis.com/SwissBianco/SwissBianco_NL_2009_4.htm

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks guys. I had been looking at that website. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The Damascus blade is pretty bad-a$$ for a SAK!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Glad im not the only SAK geek out here. Cool thing about swissbianco is that many of his custom runs are collaborations directly with Victorinox, so his custom knives come straight from the same swiss factory as the normal production knives, and are backed with the same warranty.

Another trail worthy knife is his custom alox lumberjack…its just too dam nice to bring out though.

I usually EDC an alox bantam or an alox cadet, and my trail knife for short trips is a classic with stayglow scales.

Also, according to the box in your pic Dale, it looks like the s18 has the option of having a corkscrew instead of a phillips? Ultimate car-camping knife IMO

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

If I can haul a bottle of wine, a corkscrew is certainly no problem. I'd rather have another tool or less weight on the knife.

If you want a SAK with a nice selection of tools and a {{{{{corkscrew}}}}} check out the Victorinox Huntsman. The Plus model is $25 at Wally World.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I never leave the trailhead without a wine opener

Skip to about 47sec to get the basic technique.
    VIDEO (youtube)

edit : and probably hit mute first, it has some horrendous soundtrack

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I dont know what's more amazing. The technique used, the euro-trash soundtrack, or how publicly drunk that man is. Good stuff

Actually, has anyone seen this video? I laugh everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kLqahiyuSs&feature=related

Note the time stamp on the video.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

When I was in Italy I found myself without a corkscrew.
    I had a Bic pen and my shoe.
    I pounded the cork through,
    with the pen and the shoe!

So I totally didn't mean for that to rhyme. True story though. It was a good time.

Crap, I did it again!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Are there any SAK without a knife blade? I always wanted an airport friendly SAK that had scissors but no blade.
    I have the compact model that great for car camping and travel but a little heavy for hiking, it has every thing including a pen but is still slim and relatively light.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Re: "I always wanted an airport friendly SAK that had scissors but no blade."

Scissors aren't airport friendly and get confiscated too:-(

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Seriously? Where wine bottles are concerned, all you need is the shoe. Forget the pen and corkscrew:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtjMKFn9IGE

Know more, carry less etc. etc.

Brian UL

@maynard76

"Scissors aren't airport friendly and get confiscated too:-("

Really is this new? I thought small scissors were alright,I brought small folding scissors on the plane before and no one said anything.

found this info on google:
    "Small scissors with a cutting edge less than four inches (10 cm) are allowed in the cabin."
    http://www.airsafe.com/danger.htm

So it looks like SAK scissors would be ok- so does anyone know if a bladeless SAK exist?

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

You can buy replacement scissors for the swisscard version from victorinox:

http://www.swissknifesupplies.com/site/1581080/product/30521

Brian UL

@maynard76

Thanks for that link.

I would still like a SAK with other tools like a can opener ect. I wish SAK would have a web site were you could mix and match what tools you wanted so you could you have the perfect customized SAK. I wounder why they don't do this?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The cost would be terrible, but I have wished for the same.

There are some enterprizing SAK freaks out there who can tweak one for you. The Alox scales models are quite adaptable as they are riveted right trought the scales. I imagine some dome-heared screws could be found. Add a little Loctite and go to work :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Brian Maynard wrote: "Are there any SAK without a knife blade? I always wanted an airport friendly SAK that had scissors but no blade.
    I have the compact model that great for car camping and travel but a little heavy for hiking, it has every thing including a pen but is still slim and relatively light."

Leatherman has produced a bladeless Fuse model multi-tool in repsonse to this:

http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=14&f=6&c=1

Ultralight it ain't!

Brian UL

@maynard76

6 ounces yikes!
    I don't care for the scissors on it either.
    I like the scissors on the compact -not too small not too big.
    My dream SAK would have these size scissors with can/bottle opener, pen, toothpick, tweezers. You might even be able to add a cork screw to that and I would be happy.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Here you, wenger marketed this one directly towards those concerned about TSA.

http://www.wengerna.com/air-traveler-16912

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!