Topic

Pimples from balaclava?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Odd question perhaps, but both nights I've worn my power stretch balaclava (sleeping), I've developed a pimple the following day on the bridge of my nose about where the bottom edge of the eyehole lays. The balaclava does lay snug against my nose (I find it somewhat annoying). Any suggestions?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You won't prevent them all, but the least you can do is wash your face at least once per day and keep the balaclava as clean as possible. On multi day trips everything may/will get oily from facial oils.

Guess you can get a different balaclava if that one bothers you. I prefer sorta loose balaclavas since tighter ones (beanies, etc too) seem to hurt my ears if worn a long time.

I have oily skin and get them too. Join the club? lol

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I like the balaclava other than where it crosses the nose. Unfortunately, most seem to be a "one size fits all" deal.

Both of these times have been one night deals with a shower the prior morning and no exertion during the day. Haven't had pimple issues for a couple decades though every now and then one may pop up for no apparent reason, but I've never had them on the bridge before. It's also a brand new balaclava so it shouldn't be dirty though I didn't wash it first either. I'll wash it and try a couple more times to see if it's truly repeatable.

non yep

@yep

Locale: sonoran desert

have a 1oz butter balaclava, similar material i feel to the powerstretch. pimples and beard pulling through made me switch out to a 2oz 100wt fleece clava. warmer too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools