Topic

Sierra Designs Ultra Light Year or Big Agnes Seedhouse S/L 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Ultra Light Year or Big Agnes Seedhouse S/L 1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

I’m thinking of buying one of these tents for solo use.Has anyone got any feedback and also has anyone made the tents lighter by changing the stakes ,guylines etc.Thanks a lot.

C.P. Christ

@cpchrist

I’ve put in 5 weeks of backpacking with the BA Seedhouse 1 tent. Its light, but not that light; it’s easy to erect but there is no good way I’ve found to put it up in the rain without getting the insides soaked; the vestibule is really only big enough for your boots — I’ve given up stashing my bag there and instead hang it on a tree with the packcover on; the rain fly is too short so that on rainy windy days the tent floor will puddle up — the rain rolls off the fly into the tent because the fly doesn’t extend far enough over the bathtup floor. It’s a frustrating design because the fly is only 2 inches short, but that makes all the difference. You will also need to purchase additional stakes — the free-standing tentfloor/mesh must be staked separately from the fly, and you’ll also need additional guy lines to keep the rain fly taut in wind, otherwise more opportunity for rain to get in. I had zero problems with condensation. The tent is long enough for me (5′-9″) but anyone taller may feel cramped. I was fortunate in that I never had to stay in the tent for more than the night (I hike in all weather) but anyone would get clausterphobic in this model after a few hours. Its a goood tent that would have been great if the rainfly wasn’t tailored short, even with the other issues. I wouldn’t buy it again — I’d look for a 2-man tent and suffer the extra 18 ozs.

David Ure

@familyguy

Uh, any double wall tent is going to get wet inside if it is raining during set-up unless you have an additional tarp or two people holding the fly for you, so I am not sure what that has to do with comparing the two tents.

The biggest difference between the BA and SD is that the BA is freestanding. Otherwie their dimensions are virtually identical. If you like BA but wanted a little more room and protection from rain during set-up, you could consider the BA Sarvis line. Both great products…tough choice.

Christopher May
    Spectator

@christobolmayyahoo-com

My girlfriend and I have used the Big Agnes Seedhouse S/L 1 for a two backpacks (a six day and a three day). Even though it is a 1 person tent we fit in it fine. We share a sleeping bag and are both small (5ft 7″).
    We really like the tent-you can leave the rainfly off and have 360 degree stargazing. Find the vestibule plenty big-fit our shoes and both of our G5 backpacks (they are very small once our bags, etc aren’t in there) with raincovers in it.
    Found the rain cover works fine if you stake it out far enough from the tent body. But then you do get mist blowing under the cover through the screened walls of the tent. But I think that is something you have to expect with this design if you want to have good ventilation.
    Only thing we’ve done to lighten it is replaced the stakes with titanium stakes from Gossamer Gear.
    I’d suggest looking at the Henry Shires Virga or Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo though as they are both much lighter. Both are reviewed on this website.

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

Have you looked at the MSR Hubba or the Big Sky Evolution 1P? Those are the two I am considering. A big driver for me is the size of the vestibule. I have dogs. The SD and the BA are both lacking in that area. The Hubba can be setup with just the fly and poles. For summers in the Sierra that would be a light weight way to go. And being freestanding it wouldn’t need a dozen stakes, and just the right spot like a tarp does. In the high Sierra those spots can be hard to find due to the rocks.

Neil Bender

@nebender

Re: “A big driver for me is the size of the vestibule. I have dogs. “

My miniature dachshund (a very cat-like breed, hardly a real dog)would never tolerate sleeping in a vestibule. A highly recommended breed if sleeping with cold feet is ever a problem. They charge a very high “morsel tax”. I imagine if the IRS has a mascot, it’s a dachshund.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Neil,

We had 2 Dachshunds in the past. Great dogs. One that was supposed to be a miniature that turned into a maxi at between 26 to 28 lbs and the other that was supposed to be a full sized that topped out at about 10 lbs. They were both very loyal, loving animals that may have had some cat like tendancies, liked to be next to you and sleep under the covers and probably would not have liked to sleep in a vestibule either. However, I would definitely say they were dogs or maybe people in dogs clothing.

Rich

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Dachsie’s: small, but with the heart of a lion. one very tiny one used to regularly cross the street to get me and defend its property from me and my shoe laces, which it regularly attacked in a heated frenzy – often untying them, as i would pass by its property on daily dog walks. loved that little guy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools