Topic

3,06 oz. ikea woodstove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3,06 oz. ikea woodstove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks for the inspiration! I'm thinking the 3oz. for the wood stove aspect could offset the fuel I would take for my can stove. The can stove is light enough to carry along, and I could cut fuel by at least half.

You are all brilliant. :)

Ikea. Who woulda thunk it. Now…just for fun…can we put together an entire ultralight backpacking gear set-up from Ikea?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are other threads that cover the Ikea stove idea, but I thought this was the place to include this.

I have gathered a couple of the Ikea utensil holders and was thinking about fuel sources in the field as well as alternative fuels. This stove arrangement can certainly work with an alcohol burner or Esbit. Some adaptations may be needed for wind control, but a little aluminum foil can work that through.

As far as wood-burning goes, a small stove like this can use all kinds of twigs, cones, driftwood, and such, but I thought about using charcoal for short trips. Not only can ordinary BBQ charcoal be used for cooking and boiling, but you could use a variation of the Ikea stove as a tiny hibachi, cooking prepared meat, vegetables, or a freshly caught trout. UL kabobs come to mind, using bamboo skewers. Overnight trips or first night meals are what I have in mind. You could even use self-lighting charcoal. Existing fire rings are often full of nice charcoal too.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

Hey Timo,

I have what I think is the same pot and same stove… but my pot will not fit. Is this just because of the lip at the top? I didn't want to cut it off as I didnt think it would fit even if I did this.

From what I am looking at though, it appears it would fit if I in fact did this and made a slot for the handles. Can you confirm this for me?

Appreciate it!
    Cheers,
    Corey

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Just made one of these myself from the Ikia utensil stand and Imusa 12cm mug from Walmart. It does fit perfectly in the small stand with the rim cut off (Wouldn't fit with the rim on the stand).

Will be testing the setup tomorrow and seeing if i can adjust anything. I want to make this dual use – Alcohol and wood burning. So i still need to make a lightweight stand for wood burning and a better wind protection for alco.

Will probably post some pictures tomorrow.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

I absolutely love mine! I've certainly got some wtf looks when I pull it out and tell people its my stove system but the minute it takes to find a couple branches far outweighs carrying any sort of fuel.

I've used it in rain, wind and cold weather and it works like a charm! I also have the Titanium kettle and its brilliant how well they fit together.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I've made some picture yesterday of my stove. It came out pretty nice and i'm quite happy with the performance except that i need a better stove base/support. The one i made works OK, but is not the most stable as it's smaller than the stove itself.

Weight:
    Ikea stove – 3oz
    Imusa 12cm mug – 3.5oz
    2 titanium stakes – .5 oz
    stove support – .4oz

More details here: http://www.hypersensory.com/content/ikia-camping-stove

Ikea stove 1

Ikea stove 2

Ikea stove 3

Ikea stove 4

Hien Lai

@spnrcastiel

Locale: The Other Side

Ikea Stove

Ikea Stove on Wood

Pot: Evernew 900ml with fry pan lid

I think there's enough holes in it to let air in.
    Also it works with Trangia stove

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Hence the idea of a wood burning stove, allowing you to leave rocks unblackened and soil biologically active after you've made your in-stove fire rather than an on-ground with-rocks-around-it fire. A stove will also serve to concentrate heat under your pot better so that less fuel/wood is required and reduces the risk of fire getting out of bounds and burning down the area around you.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"Hence the idea of a wood burning stove, allowing you to leave rocks unblackened and soil biologically active after you've made your in-stove fire rather than an on-ground with-rocks-around-it fire. "

I've always question this concept in the back of my mind. A small wood fire chars like what, a 6" diameter area of the ground in a park that's hundreds of thousands of acres? Does that really matter that much? As far as the blackening goes, just kick the ground around a bit when you are done to cover it up. Turn the blacked rocks black side down. So you've sterilized a small part of the dirt to a few fractions of an inch deep. It seems hardly significant. I'm all ears of someone wants to explain it to me.

BM

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm not a biologist of any kind, but from my personal experience that is not true. I always see poison oak growing out of old ashes and I have seen saplings growing directly out of old, abandoned steel fire rings. If it's actually scorching all of the nutrients in the dirt, crush up the coals into a powder by stomping, scatter them, and kick up the dirt a bit, mix it around.
    But maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I am right and it's all propaganda.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

"I gathered a bunch of stones and rocks in a circle (firepit style) put the wood fuel source in the middle, then the pot on top of the rocks. "

You don't need any rocks. Rock rings are are meant to designate a fire pit they do little in terms of helping the fire. Unless you build up a tall wall of rocks which almost no one does. Clear a spot of duff and place your pot on or next too the coals not on rocks. Better yet buy a wood stove. They help capture and direct the heat of a small fire and make it more efficient.

Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

Okay so the system is bigger than the pot… I am just wondering if that causes boil times to be reduced? also, that ring that was make for the bottom to increase air flow… can another ring be made for the top that will better seat the pot to add a better chimney affect? Also, check out the firefly design… notches are cut on the top to increase the air flow, and some wires can be strung across the top so that smaller pots can be made. Seems like it would be a good addition to this system so that you would not need the large holes on either side (which to me would mean a lot of heat escaping rather than heating up the pot). If a fuel hole could be cut in the side but still leave the upper ring in tact with six notches cut out of them for air flow, to me that would seem more efficient?

Whoever came up with this idea is genius by the way :)

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Inspired by this stove and the mesh floor in Colin Krusor's rollup stove (found here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44302), I thought that maybe a stainless steel sink drain cover would work to create a false floor that would allow airflow up under the woodfire without having to balance the stove on a separate piece that makes it less stable. The mesh has a 4.5" diameter while the opening is 4.75", so it's held in place with two titanium stakes.
    pieces

assembled

I got to try it out the other day while camping on one of the Boston Harbor Islands, one of the few places in the area where you can still have a fire on a beach. We had a little fire for roasting hot dogs that was dug down in the sand and had a windblock around three sides, but was still blowing horizontally, to give you an idea of the wind. Meanwhile, the little IKEA woodstove worked great–just a handful of sticks and it got my mac and chili boiling. Every couple minutes I lifted the pot off and dropped a few more little sticks in. Everything burned to ash.

food

Perhaps in less windy conditions there would need to be an opening cut in the side, but the uncut caddy worked great for me, and couldn't be easier to put together.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/v36xJHwCdgLBTToQybbadg?feat=directlink

This desing i use now. It is bigger and i can store my matches and cotton balls between stove and a pot. Works very well!

William Cirino

@newbflat

Yes I'm dragging this post out of the dark corner of the forum to ask a question. What is the largest pot that will fit inside an ikea stove without
    Making a slot in the side to clear the handle.. Is there a 1L pot out there that will fit in with the handle folded? Titanium is my first choice but if there is a aluminum pot that works well, I'm game.

I'm going to try the Siege stove cross bars to see how I like them, anyone out there use them yet? http://www.siegestoves.com/IKEA-hobo-stove.htm

Bill

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Thanks for dredging this up! I was having a "I think I need a wood stove" moment already.

To try to answer your question, the diameter is listed here (there are two heights, both 4 3/4 dia) just compare that to your pot. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30011832/

The hole is worthwhile though, it allows airflow and a place to insert more sticks as they burn down (which will definitely happen before a boil)

William Cirino

@newbflat

It's a little trickier than that. I have seen a number of measurements for the ikea caddy. From 4 3/4 to 4 11/16ths out side diameter. The pot I'm using at the moment is larger than that. Most of the pots I see measured are inside diameter and don't take into consideration the handle and handle hinge outside.

I am going to add a feeder hole but not near the top, more towards the bottom. I would like to keep the top few inches un cut. The Siege stove supports will keep the stove nice and high for good draw. I have made a number of hobo stoves over the years and the higher pot position seems to work best for me.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

I guess you'll have to solicit measurements from people who own pots you think are close.

The wall thickness is no more than 1/8" so a published interior can have 1/4" added to it to get to a max.

The handle brackets are another issue entirely, I don't think my oilcan mug would even fit without some modification to this thing to clear handles.

I plan to just make it simple and use a wider pot, with some manner to hold the pot off the top 1/2" or so. With a stoker hole. This will be a pair of snips and test kind of stove, at $3 invested, that's the amount of planning I intend to put in. Stove rides inside of pot when stored (yes, my pot will get ashy, I'll survive).

Edit: I picked up one of each today, here's the measurements. 4 1/2" exactly inside clear. The top has a 1/8" roll on it.

The weight of the 5 1/8" high is 4.64oz. The 7" high is 6.16oz.

ikea hobo stove

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Added measurement/photo above. New post, so William and others watching get a notification.

With the top roll cut off you'll see an inside diameter of 4-5/8" +/- 1/16"

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!