Topic

some input on my current gear list please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists some input on my current gear list please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The socks I use the most are these super thin little nylon running socks. Almost nothing to 'em. Thin like a liner sock. And they are just little anklelette sized. They are extremely cute.

I find 'em in running stores, and they usually come in – like – 3-packs.

For some reason, they seem to work, some people are very sceptical, but I do fine.

I take different numbers for different trips. But, I will sometimes sneak an extra pair of the 0.6 ounce socks into the mix. I have a loose wool-blend anklelette sleeping sock (that I can hike in too).

So – I wear ONE PAIR and I carry TWO pair, ONE for hiking and ANOTHER for sleeping.

The weight I save by having such thin socks makes it easy to justify another pair on my back.

I will rince them in a stream, and then I put them in the pockets of my nylon shorts as I hike. This dry's 'em out nicely. So, often, they are NOT on my back at all!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Thanks guys!

The cute, anklette sock doesn't have pink ruffles on it, right?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Actually, to follow up seriously….

If you're hiking and your socks get wet, do you just keep going, or switch it out with the dry sleep sock? I know it'd get a little wet from your shoe, but probably not nearly as wet as a full submersion in water.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ditch the underwear and concentrate on personal hygiene. Those thin nylon socks dry very guickly and you can wear 2 layers for extra friction protection (although it is rarely needed because they are sso slippery).

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I walk right thru streams and don't slow down.

THose little (cute) socks dry fast, and so do my NYLON shoes. I do NOT worry about wet feet.

When I hike with people who insist on stopping, scouting, or – CHANGE INTO RIVER CROSSING SHOES – I feel justified in making fun of them! I will point out: "Ducks don't change their shoes, and they do just fine with wet feet."

Jay Bonzani
    BPL Member

@ultrabound

Locale: NE Oregon

When i see people caring toliet paper and taking the time to use it i always tell them "Ducks Don't Use Toliet Paper". It hasn't really gotten any reponse other than eewwwwww.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

What a bunch of QUACK!!!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Jay wrote:
    =======
    When i see people caring toliet paper and taking the time to use it i always tell them "Ducks Don't Use Toliet Paper". It hasn't really gotten any reponse other than eewwwwww.

Mike C replies:
    =========
    You need to be a lot more enthusastic (or maybe pushy). When I take the time to teach it in the mountains with new students, that all (universally) say: "Golly – That was easier than I thought!"

Oooops, I think that we've poached Ted's thread.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

May have been my fault. Sorry Ted.

All I know is the thread went from input on your gear list to using wet ducks as toilet paper….or something like that

Anonymous
    Inactive

"When i see people caring toliet paper and taking the time to use it i always tell them "Ducks Don't Use Toliet Paper""

Ducks don't bury their poo, either, and they cr@p close to water. Might there be a better role model?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I vote that we offer up those dirty ducks for a live-plucking demonstration.

–B.G.–

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Hey Ted, +1 on the thermarest stuff sack pillow. I also carry one and got flack for it. It is one of the nicest pieces of extravagence in my pack and it has a double use. A stuff sack for my Prolite 4 and a perfectly sized pillow when I fill it with clothing.

(Sorry for joining this thread so late)

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

well, this thread got interesting. i have my own opinions on certain things that are worth their weight in my pack (like the lightload towel).
    I think Douglas Adams would agree :)

I think im going to have to test out how well clothing system avoids stinking after wearing it for 5+ days of heavy exertion. i tend to sweat a lot and i get stinky FAST if i don't wear anti-perspirant…

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Regarding anti-perspirant…. embrace your natural self! Who cares if you stink!? Honestly, it doesn't get that bad. Clothes don't get THAT stinky. Sweat is no biggie either. Just have some clothes that are made for it. And sorry for the short, third grade sentences. Its late…

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

I'd think you could have done better with your sleeping bag. My winer bag is a MH Phantom 15 which weighs in at 30oz …and I'm not even pretending to be a UL guy. I'm only here to learn from them.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Ted, Are you hiking in the Rockies? I would assume that you would encounter much cooler temperatures than 40 degree F in the Rockies even in the summer.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

june, july and august, you can get below 40 degrees, but it rare. three years ago it snowed on me in early august. a normal night is in the high 40's to mid 60's.

However, my bag is a 40, my sleeping bag liner and wearing some clothing makes it a 30 degree bag, so im happy with it. it never gets below 30 during the summer.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Ted, I'm not sure where you do your camping, but Jun-Aug certainly can get colder than that 40-60*F range you mentioned. I've been below 30*F often enough at 12,000'. During that Aug '08 freak storm, we were in RMNP (Glacier Gorge, 10,100') and had 28-33*F temps for 3 straight days. But I think a 30*F bag, with additional puffy layers if needed, will suffice. I don't think I've seen 25*F (Jun-Aug) in my 35 years of camping in CO.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Since i live in fort collins, i normally go camping in RMNP or one of the nearby wilderness's and camp between 8,000-12,000 feet, or if i have a few more days, i'll drive to utah (i like it better there, its warmer and there's less people).
    i've never had an issue camping june-august where i've gotten significantly cold with a 40 degree bag unless its very late august or there was a freak storm. if the weather looks decent, I'll even take my summer bag with me in late may or early September.

as i said, it can get below 40, but normally its in the high 40's to mid 60's at night during the summer.

I think thats the same august storm. i was camped out on the west side of RM and actually did the flat-top mountain trail that day.
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/end%20of%20summer%2008%20trips/Photo0035.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/end%20of%20summer%2008%20trips/Photo0037.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools