Topic

Help with Trail Runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help with Trail Runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Well I'm thinking about taking the plunge and using trail runners for next summer’s backpacking. Currently I use a pair of Keen Targee 2 mids.

My issue is that I have very wide toe box and low volume feet with a good arch. My toe box is so wide that even with when using the Keen Targee's (a shoe with a wide toe box) I need to unlace the first eyelets.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for trail runners that may work for me?

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W

Chad, have you looked at the Brooks Cascadia or Nike Pegasus Trail(??). I have not tried these yet, but their road shoes have pretty roomy toeboxes and I believe that the trail models are on the same platform. I'm having the same problem. I have the Montrail Mountain Masochist now. My feet are swelling a bit and my pinky toes are rubbing. The Masochists are described in the reviews on Zappos as a "wider" shoe. Good luck.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks Lucus!

Just like you my pinky toes will rub even in my Keen's. I'll check out those shoes you mentioned.

Jonathan DeYoung

@jdeyoung81

Locale: New England

anyone with wider then normal shoes should look at New Balance trail runners. From what I have heard they run pretty wide and I have friends that have wide feet and all they use is New Balance sneaks.

I have a narrow foot so I cannot give much more insight other then to check them out. If you go to a speciality running store they are likely to give you great information and find the right shoe for your needs as was my experience when i got my first pair of real trail running shoes.

Wish I could be more help for you.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for the tip!

I'm wondering if there is a diffrence between having a wide foot and having a wide toe box?

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

I ran new balance road shoes for a couple of years and have never had complaints w/ their shoes. In fact, I've been investigating their "retro" shoe the 574 as a potential hiker. In Jardine's Beyond Backpacking, he includes a photo of his running shoe collection, which has several pairs of the 574. New Balance describes the toe box on the 574 as wide and deep, a definite plus for hikers w/ swollen feet. They run $60 on Amazon and come in sizes up to a 16, which means if the 15's prove too small for me, I've got options! I don't think they will hold up as long as a trail runner, but for $60 they need to last about half as long I figure.

Yes, Chad there is. Wide shoes will have width all the way back to the heel, which is bad for us w/ regular shaped heels. I have a good friend that works for a running shop and provides me w/ all of my running shoes. He also gets to demo multiple pairs a month. He has briefed me on all the eccentricities of about every major shoe brand.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I have a wide forefoot, and i've recently started using Mizuno Wave Harriers
    Superb, grippy sole. I haven't put enough miles in yet to comment on durability.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks Lucas!

Keep the advice comming!

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Mizuno makes a nice roomy shoe too. I like the feel of their shoes. I have not run them though. Word is that they will wear a bit faster because of their light weight. They tend to be pretty "meshy" and minimize the overlays that reinforce the shoe. Might be hell on them on the trail. However, if you're only hiking them on groomed trail free of scrub, I'd say work them in.

In my haste to reply, I ignored that Mizuno has a trail specific shoe.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Yippie, another trail shoe to look at!

I should mention that I'm looking to backpack in these trailrunners. Typically I do 15 – 20 miles a day on rocky trails.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I have a similar problem with a wide toe-box. My feet aren't wide, but my right foot is shaped a bit oddly, so my little toe overhangs standard insoles. I found that wide shoes didn't help. Most weren't wide enough at the toe, and when they were, the fit through the rest of the shoe wasn't as good. My eventual solution for casual shoes was taking a shoemaking class and making custom leather shoes.

I have not yet found suitable materials to make my own trail runners, but I haven't needed to yet. I got a pair of Inov-8 Terroc 330s and found that light mesh uppers flex enough to give my toe enough room. They're even more comfortable than stuff with wide toe-boxes, like Keen or Patagonia's Cedar shoes.

In my case, I think most trail runners will have similar results. I don't know if you'll have similar results, but keep in mind that mesh will be more flexible and accommodating than leather or non-stretchy waterproof fabrics.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've done about 80 miles in those Mizunos i highlited. About 90% of my hiking is off trail. My usual terrain is a mixture of mud, rocks and heather type shrubs. There isn't any wear at the moment.

David Gever
    BPL Member

@dgever

Locale: Brooklyn

The New Balance MT840, are another option that you should consider. They are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn and have excellent traction. I wore them this fall for 430 miles from ny to vt canada border. They also come in an extra wide version if need be.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Second the Inov8 Terroc 330. The toe-box is huge, and, otherwise, they fit like a sock. Breathable, lightweight. The only concern is the Inov8 design theory of no arch support. But I like it.

For some great prices follow this link from ATRA:

http://trailrunner.com/

Just click on the Running Warehouse 15% Discount link, and it'll be deducted from your purchase, whatever the shoe. Free Shipping too!

good luck
    -Michael

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Getting a larger size shoe can help with toe box issues. There is also nothing necessarily wrong with unlacing the first eyelets. In fact, changing your lacing to fit your foot is a clear improvement.

I have a similar sounding foot as you, plus other problems (a size and a half difference between my feet, etc). Perhaps look at wide specific shoes from Merrell. I find the fit of the Brooks Cascadia's to be good, though I'm not a fan of the uppers.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Have a look at Golite shoes. I need a wide toe box (bunionettes), and Golites work for me whereas typical running shoes end up causing me pain some miles down the trail.

I haven't put many miles on the newer models, but the older ones are reputed to have lower than average durability. I found that to be true too, but manageable — I can still get 500 miles or so from a pair. Perhaps the newer models will hold up better (I'm using 'Force' models and one pair of Versa Force this coming year, plus some left over Sun Dragon II's).

Peter Merritt

@dead_cow

Locale: Southern Arizona

I have had durability issues with every pair of New Balance Trail runners this year. I have wide feet and need a wide toe box, so they have been my Vendor of choice for years. This season I went thru 4 pairs of NB shoes, various models, and usually the heel or sole rips off the substrate around 100 miles, sometimes catastrophically, I had to walk 20 miles over rough terrain with a pair of 909's that lost the entire heels and part of the sole. I have a pair of 840's right now, they have about 1 more trip in them, the heels are very worn, and I had to superglue them twice already, they have less then 100 miles on them. Also had a pair of Asics this summer, they felt great but they also failed, lost the largest lug on heel after couple trips. I used to really like NB, but the quality has really gone downhill.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Great advice so far, thanks everyone!

The issue I have with unlacing the fron eyelets of my current shoes (Targee Mids) is that they still aren't wide enough in the toe box. I have use gell toecaps on my pinky toes and I'll still get irritation that after 60 miles will cause blisters.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools