Topic

Clothing design and pack straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Clothing design and pack straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve noticed that trying on clothing in the store and their performance in acutal use on the trail is effected by an unescapable factor in hiking– pack straps.

The straps pinch off air flow around the chest, sides and bottom if you use a waist strap. Sternum straps really clamp things off. And then there is the pack sealing off the back.

Seems that pit zips and ponchos are the only relief. Has anyone tried making layers that follow the same design as a quilt– more insulation where it isn’t compressed and ventilation designed to work with the clamping effect of straps?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yes, Dale, I’ve tried to compensate for compression due to pack straps. All my attempts fell in the Bad-Ideas-Are-Us category.

These experiments were aimed at insulation, not ventillation. I tried polarguard, polyurethane foam and ensolite, all built into the top and front of the shoulder of a polarguard jacket. The closest thing to adequate was the ensolite – surprisingly. But nothing worked particularly well. And compressibility tanked.

I’ve given up on using anything other than ponchos for rain gear.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This was my answer to the problem. It works really well in hot weather.
    BPL Thread Link

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

All it lacks is a solar panel and electric fan :)

I was thinking more of the straps clamping off the areas above and outboard of the straps– across the tops of the shoulders and around to the shoulder blades– no ventilation at all. Unhooking or eleminating the waist strap at least allows some air up underneath the back.

I have seen some bike vests that have wind panels in the front and mesh in the rear.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools