Topic

Drying out a Platy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Drying out a Platy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Any hints on getting a 1L Platy to dry out completely?

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I suspend mine from a towel rack for several days and turn it over when I get up and when I go to bed. It helps to have it in a warm room. Pain in the butt to get small mouthed containers to dry out fully.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

In my gear room I have some of those little backpacker’s clothespins attached to the edge of a shelf. I blow the Platy up to keep the sides from touching then clip it by the bottom edge with the spout hanging down. We keep a 4 ft fluorescing light burning full time to discourage Black Widow spiders and it provides enough warmth from the ballasts to keep it fairly dry in there which helps too.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I just set mine outside for 30 minutes. But it's a dry heat.

Oh wait, I got one of those special camelback hangers in a box of stuff I bought from Boozer. Works pretty good.

Tony Fleming
    BPL Member

@tonyfleming

Locale: Midwest

I use an aquarium air pump and run a hose into it to blow air in it. This dries it out in a couple hours. I usually leave it overnight.

Tony

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

If you have a plastic hanger, just break it at one of the corners, cut some off and push the bottom part of the hanger into the platy so that it keeps it open, then just hang in closet, works on all bladders

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I just shake out as much water as I can and then leave mine sitting out for a few days on the counter while the rest evaporates. If you are in a hurry, you could somehow secure a small towel to a stick to dry most of the inside.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

if the opening is wide enough you can bend a wire coathanger to form a frame to hold it open – then place it somehwere with air circulation to dry.

My faverite form of short term storrage though is freezing. Empty, freeze, then just remove for use – they quikly warm up.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

Cut it in to many small pieces and blow dry each piece 2 times thoroughly.

I like to cut mine in to octagons with the surface area of 2.3354 cm if that helps you any.
    Good luck!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I have a bent metal hanger that i use for the purpose. But if I'm using it every week or so, it also keep it in the freezer.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I stuff a new Handi Wipe in it, use part of a wire coat hanger to move it around, and pull it out. I leave it open until I feel like it's time to pack it away.

bryan Schuetz

@bryanschuetz

I'm also a fan of the coat hanger approach I use the arms of the hanger to keep the bladder expanded and then hang it from a ceiling vent. Dries overnight no problem.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Jason Klass had a nice idea on his website awhile back (video included). Essentially the idea is to buy an inexpensive aquarium pump and some tubing, shove the tubing down inside the platy, and turn on the pump. It dries quick and effectively.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2009/07/drying-hydration-systems-quickly.html

Brett Morgan

@whydrive

Locale: East Tennessee

just stick it in a plastic ziploc and then put it in the freezer. i don't even dry it out. whenever you get back, empty it and stick it in the freezer

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I got a $10 aquarium air pump and some "T" connectors so I can dry out several containers at once.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Other than air drying as others have previously mentioned, I often will toss mine into my car, which is parked outside in the sun to dry mine out.

Only thing that you need to be careful of is how hot of a day it is.

Don't want to fry the plastic and make it brittle.

-Tony

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks for all the tips…….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools