Topic

Bivy Trouble

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bivy Trouble

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

I got a TiGoat bivy a long time ago and haven’t had a chance to use it until last weekend. Actually I haven’t hiked or camped in 2 years so my whole kit was brand new. I didn’t hike far because, well, all new untested gear equals potential gear failure.
    I set up my TiGoat Bivy with full mesh hood under my tarp. I tied the mesh net up by the little loop that was stitched on it. I ran a line from the loop to my ridgeline. It was nice and loose; I just wanted the mesh off my face.
    I tend to turn from side to side a lot when I sleep and on the first night I managed to tear that little loop right off of the mesh. Now I have a big hole in my mesh hood.
    Anyone ever have this problem?
    Any good ideas on fixing the hole? It’s about the size of a dime. I thought I’d just glue it or something.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Daniel,

I did the same thing to mine after a few nights in the bivy but, it was very easy to repair. I have now used the repaired bivy for two seasons without any problems.

I sewed a nylon loop (used for tying the bivy netting to the tarp) to a piece of 1" square gross grain nylon ribbon. I then put the loop through the hole; the gross grain ribbon was positioned inside of the net so that it overlapped the netting tear; and then glued the gross grain ribbon (McNett Seam Seal) to the net. The 1" square of gross grain distributes the stress so the netting will not tear.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Thanks for the tip. I bet fabric glue would work just as well.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Not sure about fixing it, but a good way to help prevent this in the future is to use elasticized cord rather than static cord for the connection between your ridgeline and bivy.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

This is kind of funny, since I did the exact same thing to my TiGoat bivy last weekend. I emailed them, and they're sending me a repair patch to sew on, although the 1" square glued on sounds good.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Okay, don't laugh, but Mighty Mend It works great! I've been using that stuff for all kinds of projects for about a year and a half now. It's not right for everything, but try it. If it doesn't work I promise you you'll find all kinds things it's great for.

Ethan Kunard

@ekunard

I did that very thing to my Ti-Goat bivy on my first night on the Colorado Trail. Luckily I had a bit of duct tape, expecting for it to hold only a limited time. Truth be told, it held for my next 25 days on the CT and is still holding true today. Who says duct tape can't be a permanent fix anyway?

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Wow! Duct tape is awesome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools