Topic

Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I finally got around to finishing my review of the GG Mariposa Plus. I hope you find it useful: http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2009/05/gossamer-gear-mariposa-plus-review.html

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Nice work on the GG Mariposa video, as usual. You were able to really show the versatility of such a great pack which pictures simply don't do justice. I also think it was appropriate to mention how GG really looks at small stuff to satisfy their customers (i.e. configuration patterns of their shock cord, optional pockets, optional frame and foam padding, etc.).

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Thanks! Yes, that's one of the things I like most about Gossamer Gear: their attention to detail. It tells you that real hikers develop their products–not just marketing people.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Cool video. Have you ever tried the pack with clothes in the straps? I found it much more comfy without the foam and with socks in the shoulder straps.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Great video review, Jason. Congrats on your wedding!

I do miss you wearing your bandana in your videos, though.

David Stapleton
    BPL Member

@kamperdave

Locale: VA, DC, MD

Very well timed review for me as I'm in the process of migrating from lightweight to UL and this is one of the packs I'm considering. Thanks!!

-Dave

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hey Rick,
    No, I haven't tried it. Mostly it's just because I don't want to keep messing around with putting things in and pulling things out of the straps. It's more convenient for me to just leave the foam in there and forget. I suppose I will test it out anyway just out of curiousity. Maybe if I had a long trip where I was taking more stuff and space was a concern, I would use the straps for storage.

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Locale: Northeast

I use a shorter piece of foam at the top of the strap leaving a good 8 inches or so at the bottom for socks and glove liners. The foam stays on the tops of my shoulders and I still have room for some extras.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Good job Jason. Thanks for sharing on the forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very detailed and helpful review. The video was great.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Dang… the PC in my hostel won't let me view your video! :(

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ben

Where's the hostel?

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Roger:

Here is the hostel — in Poznan, Poland. It opened just 12 days ago, so everything is brand spanking new — and almost no customers. In fact, I may be the ONLY guest tonight (unless people start showing up). A bed costs 60 zl (US$19) and I have an 8-bed dorm room all to myself. OK, so the decor is a bit effeminate; but hey, it's cheap and new and clean. :)

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Poland! The motherland. I hope no light bulbs burn out!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

This reminds me… I need to ask the Poles here whom they use for their jokes!

EDIT: The young lady working the front desk at my hostel say Poles use either Germans or Russians as the butt of their jokes. (I didn't mention to her anything about 'Polish jokes' though.)

Stephanie Cheehy

@mrscheehy

How many Germans does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Zero," Ve haff vays of making you change lightbulbs!"

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Q: Why is there so little crime in Germany?
    A: It is against the law.

You have to have lived in Germany to understand why this is funny. Trust me- it's hilarious.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Very nice.

I like gnocci too, but not many places serve it these days.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

First, I don't know anything about Polish gnocci, but, I do know the best gnocci in the world is made by Argentines.

Back on topic:

I almost always use socks in my shoulder straps and gloves in the hip belt. Quite comfortable. I often pack with nothing in either of them, especially, if I don't have much in my pack. I've worried about my socks/gloves getting wet while it rains but I don't seem to remember that being a problem.

For me the Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a great pack. The problem I find is that I never fill it up and have to use the compression straps to tighten it up. If I had the money I would buy a Gorilla because I think it's a bit smaller with the same features.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I put one sock in each shoulder strap on my Murmur, and it is plenty comfortable. I have carried up to 17 lbs in it.

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Great review Jason! Thanks. I've been looking at getting the Mariposa. This has probably been answered before somewhere but seems like a good thread for an update.

Where do you put a (700 cu.in/ 5-6 days supply) bear cannister on the Mariposa? Does it have to strap on top or does it fit inside?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

It's got a y strap on top.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

I find that putting the canister in the pack vertically on top of my sleeping bag, clothes and tarp works best. The Y strap is great but unless you have a lot of stuff in the Mariposa I find it hard to make a "shelf" to put the canister on and it seems to hang off the back of the pack instead of sitting on top which tends to pull the heavy canister away from my back.

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Thanks Scott. That's what I was really asking. I don't like the idea of carrying my Bear Vault outside my pack so my food bakes in the sun all day.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

I have been thinking for a while now that the perfect pack (for me anyway) would be the Mariposa Plus pack bag on a GG Vapor Trail frame. I love my Mariposa but my Vapor Trail is more comfortable with 18-23 lbs when I'm hiking uphill.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools