Topic

2017 Bob Marshall Open Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2017 Bob Marshall Open Gear List

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

this year could prove to be tougher than normal (normal is plenty tough!), we’re well above normal snow levels and the start/finish will reward some off trail routes if one can pull them off

I’ve switched to Apex for sleep system and insulating layer- heavier, but gives me a little more insurance with wet conditions

possible last minute changes- full size snowshoes if a lot of snow remains, small tent (MH Ghost UL1) in lieu of tarp/bivy if heavy precip is anticipated

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Not seeing any links there Mike….

Will post my gearlist this afternoon.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Craig- should be some jpegs showing up (they are showing for me???); also should be loaded in my profile too

Look forward to checking yours out :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Not seeing jpegs on either of my computers but I’ll check your profile later.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Got it Mike.  Looks solid, actually very close to what I’m carrying.

I’m at a ~14# base with snowshoes and bear spray, about 9.5# without.  Heaviest pack weight should be about 23-24# at start.

Let’s see if I can link my google doc, don’t know how to upload a PDF here.

BMWO 2017 Gearlist

I  might swap out my Summerlite with a 20 degree bag depending on forecasts and make a few other little changes as we get closer.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looks good :)

I am going to make one change which you already have done- I’ve got a tiny cuben pouch that I’m going to setup w/ some decently robust fire starting bits- there are enough fords that it would be prudent to have those on person vs in the pack

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Weird…this computer shows your jpegs.  Anyhow.

Envious of the Apex pullover, they look nice.

I need to include the plastic bags for my feet.  I’m also still on the fence about sewing a synthetic quilt…we’ll see what happens in the coming month or two.

Interesting on the kid’s snowshoes.  I don’t know much about what to expect in terms of snow conditions out there…my assumption is mixed sloppy and frozen stuff….corn, slush, crust, etc.  Assuming I won’t need too much flotation?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

normally on the firmer side so you’re correct, not a lot of flotation needed- we’re getting pounded again, calling for 1-2′ in the mountains, added to an already above normal year- could be interesting :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Jeez.  Interesting indeed.  Sort of wish I had some smaller race shoes, mine are 25″.  But at 6’2″ 212 and size 13 I guess 25 isn’t that big.  I was just hoping I wouldn’t also need tails but I figured powder is long gone by Memorial Day.

It’s 87 degrees and sunny here right now.  I’m giving you home court advantage on this one.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Wow- 17 degrees this afternoon on my run (and snowing) :)

yup- shouldn’t have to worry about powder in May

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

SOME COMMENTS:
    – I drilled holes in my MSR Shifts and yours are still 1.5oz lighter…not fair.
    – Bringing a pillow is too soft :)
    – Even in the spring sloppiness, I like down quilts. For 2-3 nights and with a dry sack, I don’t think it’s hard to keep it dry. Jackets are another story.
    – I used Hydropel in 2012 but gave up on it, as it didn’t seem to really last that longer compared to the duration of the event.
    – Shop towels for TP is clever.
    – Really need that ground cloth?
    – I like the meat bags. I think plastic works just as well as the Rocky Gore-Tex socks.
    – Kind of a shame to put AquaTabs is that wonderful fresh snowmelt water.
    – Spray 1/2 of that bear spray onto an unsuspecting neighbour to shed a few oz.

CRAIG: The snow is usually quite firm in late May. If it stays cold maybe not, but normally there’s enough freeze-thaw cycles that it really firms up. Biggest danger is usually just when the snowpack warms up a lot and gets soft enough to enable post-holing. It’s usually bulletproof in the mornings. There was some powder in 2012 but I didn’t need snowshoes at all in 2013 and 2015. Might be different this year.

MY GEAR
    I’m undecided on a lot of gear for this 2017 because I want to try some new ideas. I’ve got two new ideas that aren’t necessarily good ideas (quite likely not) but will be interesting:

1. Not bringing enough food
    2. Ditching the shelter and pad

Other than needing a few calories to start the day, I find I can hold a pretty good pace while hungry (via fat burning) if the terrain is flat. So I really only need food for climbs. I’m considering trying something radical like packing 3000 calories. In the past I’ve always packed 7-9k and often lost my appetite so I didn’t even eat that. With 3k I’d have to think carefully about when I eat each bar.

My strategy of a quilt + mid + pad has been working great for years – it’s a bomber setup – but it’s almost not a challenge and plus I don’t really sleep that well anyways (solo and quite stimulated). So I’m thinking about not stopping for a regular nightly sleep. Instead, I might only bring the quilt and then stop for a 1-2 hour snooze if (1) I’m tired and (2) it’s not raining. If it rains the whole time then I’ll just keep walking. Also probably a bad idea, but something I know I can pull off without putting myself in danger.

Gear list looks like this:

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

for less than an ounce I’ll be soft with the pillow :)

those blue paper shop towels are great- they don’t rip/tear, you can wet them w/o risk of them falling apart- I cut them in ~ 3×5″ sections- a few go a long ways

very interesting strategy on the food and shelter (or lack thereof)!; I think I would still take a eVENT bivy and short pad just in case

3000 calories would give you incentive to finish fast :)

what are you bringing for a jacket?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’ll look into getting some shop towels. It’s true that semi-wet TP is a challenge to use.

I have a hunch that I’ll actually sleep better curling up in a mid-afternoon sun beam, than my historical strategy of snoozing from midnight to 4am. The challenge is figuring out a route that puts easy sections during the dark, so I’m not navigating places like Larch Hill at 2am.

My rain gear is pretty good and my synthetic jacket is pretty warm, so even in the rain I might be able to drift off for 30 minutes under a tree without a quilt. And there’s always curling up with the quilt on a ranger cabin porch. I’m planning to make a hasty pad with my pack, snowshoes, rain gear and maybe a few spruce boughs.

The jacket is awesome. It’s Apex (4oz I’m pretty sure), hooded, full zip for just 8oz. Just a one-off jacket not on the market. I can stay warm around camp at 20-25F. Perhaps not as good in the rain as fleece, but it cuts 4oz and is a lot warmer than my previous 100wt fleece.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looking forward to getting my Apex jacket :)

you know what might just be ideal for your strategy is a lightweight Apex quilt with a poncho hole- MLD offers that option- use it like a quilt or pull up under a tree and take a siesta sitting.  Their lightweight quilts are sub pound

I know that Les and Michah last year employed a very spartan, short nap and go strategy. I found the remains of one their warming fires right next to the trail :). They did have a very rough time navigating Lion’s Pass at night!  You’re spot on about the timing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools