Topic

Mosquitoes & Black Flies vs Clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mosquitoes & Black Flies vs Clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

How well does wearing thin supplex shirts and pants (such as the ExOfficio Air Strip or REI Sahara) prevent mosquitoes from biting ?

Do they also work for black flies / horse flies ?

If the thin ones (Air Strip / Sahara) don't prevent bites very well, are there thicker ones that do ?

I'll be using them in the hot, humid, buggy south east. I normally just wear a poly t-shirt & shorts, but I'm tired of having to re-apply deet every 40 minutes to keep from being bitten approximately every 2 minutes…

Thanks.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

If it's treated with permathrin, you're good.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I think any thickness of supplex or nylon shirt or pants will stop mosquitos if it has a tight weave and doesn't stretch, so for summer, the lightest coolest option may be best. Loose fitting is also much better. I have read about mosquitos biting through thin nylon in the arctic, but that sounds like extreme situations.

I think the same is true for all flies. You use the term "black flies" and then refer to the south, and not to be territorial about our spring time joy, I thought the term "black fly" refers exclusively to the very small midges/gnats of the northern woods, and not dark colored flies from elsewhere. In any case, true black flies land and crawl around, so for protection there you want to protect the edges, so tucked in, collars, and tight ankles are key.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

How often do you have to re-apply Permathren to the clothing ? (every day, after washing, after rain, etc)

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

I was referring to the black flies I used to have to deal with in the Adirondacks of upstate New York. They are slightly bigger than house flies, very persistant, bite hard and leave a swelled-up welt like mosquitoes (only the welt is much bigger and itches more).

Here in the mid south east (Virginia), I think the flies are actually deer flies and in the Asqateaque / Chincoteque area are actually horse flies – but they bite just like the black flies in the Adirondacks.

There are also a lot of Gnats / Midges near any water that are irritating (get stuck in your eyes when you blink, etc) – but they don't bite, so a head net is all that's needed for them.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I know those biting flies in the adirondaks. They are never referred to as "black flies": I don't think they have a name (at least not one in general use) other than "biting flies". They are a mid summer, on the water, major pest and are likely related to deer flies. Deer flies go high and so a hat is necessary, biting flies like those seem to like to go low, so pants and shoes can be a big help (particularly if paddling).

They can bite through light open weave clothing, but I don't think I have ever seen them bite through a dense weave like supplex.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John:

Spraying your clothing, socks and boots with Permethrin does wonders! Bugs stay away — I don't remember being bitten through my clothing — or ever finding bugs in my socks or shoes in the mornings (although I still look before wearing).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Mosquitos can bite through both those shirts you list. I have not been around black flies. You would need other clothing or treatment with permethrin. Mosquitos cannot bite through driducks and maybe not a windshirt over your regular shirt.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Light colored clothing works best, dark colors attract the beasties more.

cheers,
    fred

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

FWIW, my brother tells me that he doesn't get bitten through the "covered" portions of his RailRiders (shirt).

These are good for hot weather due to ~3" wide panel of mesh from wrist to arm pit and on down to shirttail.

The mesh panel gives mosquitoes access but this isn't an issue while hiking. In camp, put on the dri-ducks.

http://www.railriders.com

Kent

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Kent, my experience concurs with your brother's: the extremely small diameter fibers and the tight weave of the nylon fabric togeather conspire to prevent the little devils from penetrating to your skin's surface…and no permithrin required. That's the difference between a knit and woven fabric. My BPL Thoroughfare shirt and pants (and another supplex shirt in my kit with back vents) have changed my springtime 'skeeter/biting flies experience. If I'm also wearing a headnet, then the only areas requiring DEET are the wrist and back of the hands.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I've had good luck wearing long sleeved nylon shirts and long pants (REI Sahara). They can bite through, especially at the knees when you're sitting/squatting when the cloth is pulled very tightly against the skin, but nylon clothing is re WAY better than "T" shirt type cloth. It not only saves DEET but also sunscreen. I just have to put DEET and sunscreen on the back of my hands and wrists and my head. If I wear a head net, then I don't have to put DEET anywhere near my mouth or eyes. Nothin' like sweating DEET and sunscreen into your eyes while you're out hiking. Yuck! :(

I don't have as much experience with the biting horse flies (that's what I've always called the large black flies). Can't comment as to the efficacy of nylon with them. I have encountered horse flies futher north. I consider horse flies worse than mosquitos. OUCH! They hurt when they bite. I once bailed on a backpack a couple of days early just to get away from the cursed things.

scott burgeson

@drdystopia

Locale: Upstate NY

There is a fifth season in the Adirondacks and we call it "black fly season."

During this time you will be hard pressed to get many locals out of their houses.

the flies look like this:
    black fly

I have seen them blot out the sun. The swarms are a thing of legend.

From the end of May through June they make hiking nearly impossible and no bug spray will deter them for more then a couple of minutes. Long clothes and a head net are about all that will stop them and even then you will receive bites.

The bites itch like hell and leave welts like this:

bites

Tuck in your cuffs or just stay inside during the morning and evening when they are feeding.

These thing cut a perfectly good summer in half.

–scott

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“How often do you have to re-apply Permathren to the clothing ? (every day, after washing, after rain, etc)”

From http://www.sawyerproducts.com/faqpermethrin.htm
    “an application lasts for six weeks and through six washings.”

I love how it kills ticks and chiggers. The Midwest is loaded with them.

-Barry

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Scott:

Man, those look awful!!!

DEET does little to nothing to deter biting flies. Yes, our best bet is to use a combination of Permethrin on our clothing and DEET on our skin — plus netting in truly bad cases!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Perhaps oversimplified, but…

Something's better than nothing. More densely woven clothes definitely keep the buggers off you better, but anything covering skin helps. During the Minnesota and northern Michigan hatch in early to mid June I wear long sleeves, pants tucked into socks, and a wide-brimmed hat with a bug net. A little bug dope (Ben's 30% works great) on the back of my hands and around my wrists, a dab of eau de notbug behind the ears and under the jawline… and a healthy spray on the crown and both sides of the brim of the hat.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!