Topic

Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jamie,

I always enjoy your posts. This article is no exception.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Todd

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Very well written, thanks. I look forward to your next trip report and gear list.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

What a great article…I truly enjoyed it.

Thanks Jamie!

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Thanks, Jamie, for a great story! You are an inspiration to me, as I, too, am at a standstill in my life. Like you, I've been studying "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping" and making a new gear list of ultralight equipment, because I need to get away to break out of this staid existence. Your story was just the impetus I needed!

Great photos, too!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Great story. Amazing journey in so many ways.

Thanks!

Joe Westing

@pedro87

Wow, inspiring story. For anyone who has not seen any of Jamie's post, check out this thread about his first SUL trip (w/ photos). IMO, it should be required reading for anyone wanting information and/or inspiration to lighten their pack.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13855

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jamie,

Fantastic essay and the link to your report about your 1st sub 5 lbs trek are outstanding.

If there ever was a story that truly is trans formative, it is yours without a doubt.

Your story is refreshing and reaffirming at the same time in that it shows how love of nature and the outdoor adventure can save us from the doldrums of our everyday existence and make us a better person at the same time.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us and for "giving" back to others in sharing your lightweight journey to inspire others to go lite and get out there and pursue the adventure and dreams they have been putting off.

-Tony

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Very nice! I did notice that your book "The 2 Ounce Backpacker" weighs 2.4 ounces :)

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Thanks Jamie!

Rodney Davis
    BPL Member

@ramrod

Locale: North Carolina

Maybe we can get together for a future trip some weekend.
    Rodney

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Great story, Jamie! Very inspirational.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Thoroughly enjoyed this article, thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

great article, thanks for sharing….

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks for the excellent article! You are a great inspiration for those of us everyday people who are ready to go for it. I was one of them after your trip report last year : )

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Jamie, I've been putting together an SUL list like yours and wondering exactly how low in temperatures you'd go with your SUL list. What would a winter, snow, around -5ºF (-15ºC) list look like?

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Jamie,
    Thanks for a great article! My gear list shares many of your choices which makes me think I'm headed in the right direction! Lightweight is definitely liberating. My wife refers to my green Mont-bell UL Inner Jacket as my "disco jacket"! ;)

Ed Barkowski
    Spectator

@edbarkowski

Well written, Jamie. Very inspiring material. Glad your life took such a favorable U-turn and allowed you to "make light" of your circumstances. Happy to have your input in the forums.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Jamie, thanks for the gratifying story on your journey to Lightness and self-discovery, one similar to mine. Of especial note is that I, too, take along the 2 oz Backpaccker and get chided for packing a book. Oh well, it still remains that at bottom we're all kindred spirits in th UL community. Happy trails!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I truly appreciate these comments more then you can imagine, thanks everyone for taking the time to post.

Rodney, My trips are mostly solo but thats only because we are so few. I'd be glad to hit the trails with you sometime.

Miguel, I'll put some thought into a -5F list, but my friend that is one step beyond me for the time being. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Thanks all, Jamie

Jesse Taylor
    BPL Member

@ahikernamedgq

Thanks for sharing the candid story of your career struggles and your "ultralight birth." Inspirational.

That picture of you with the Golite Ion floored me. All of your gear was store bought, not modified or special made. That's really amazing.

Your article is double inspirational!

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Jamie, fantastic stuff! Just came across this article you wrote, well done. Loved the inspiration and the transformation you took us through. Hope all is going well, and I do hope you get to do the AT sometime soon.

My best friend lives near Lake Wylie, SC, and we went camping at a great spot for a couple nights this last summer. Whereabouts are you in NC?

Hope all is well,

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Jamie,

I read your article a month or so ago and sent myself a link at home so I could learn from your gear lists and all your experiences that you talk about. I'm heading down the same street too. Just like Dug above, I really enjoyed the it immensly. -If you ever so feel inclined, I bet many here in the BPL community would really enjoy reading another article by yourself. Cheers and thanks for the inspiration.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Perusing the forums–one link leads to another… I found this, and it is just as inspirational years later. Thank you so much, Jamie! I had read some of your other stuff recently, too. It seems that miles on the trails do good for the soul. And you are right: enlightenment is not achieved without passing on the knowledge. Hope your journeys are continuing to go well!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools