Topic

What knife do you carry backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What knife do you carry backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 239 total)
  • Author
    Marc Clarke
    BPL Member

@marcclarke

Locale: Front Range of the Rocky Mountains

Mike says, "that's my WM1, but thanks :)"

I was going to point that out. I admire Mike's WM1 as well.

Marc Clarke
    BPL Member

@marcclarke

Locale: Front Range of the Rocky Mountains

Mike said, "I'm going to have to play w/ the military wire saws- I had one a long time ago that basically sucked :)"

The civilian versions suck royally, don't cut, and typically break on their first use. The military-grade spiral-wound versions work really well and don't break in use.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Here is a pic of my favorite, its called the backbreaker-knife

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

well my WM1 is surely the ugliest one.
    i found the factory neck sheath heavy for a light knife, so i molded one in my oven from a plastic piece i cut from my wife previous kitchen wastebin :)

previous wm1 + sheath 106g / 3,7oz
    now with the ugly new one : 85g / 2,99oz !

i usualy carry an orange ladybug or an opinel n°6 but when i expect to fish a lot i prefer the wm1, its a lot more easier to clean.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

picked up another WM1- this one re-handled in orange G10

put it through it's paces w/ food prep, fire building and fish cleaning- great little knife

Photobucket

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Here's my response to the "Backbreaker"; The Rodent Waki by Swamprat Knife Works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnVY9qLCEE

edit: punctuation.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Was laughing hysterically the response they were looking for in the Swamprat Waki video? Seriously, watching that bruiser in obnoxious orange whacking away like some man beast with that "knife" was the funniest thing I've seen all day…. some people. Now I need to order me a Waki and go cut some cactus and mesquite bush down just because!

* I just realized that my avatar pic has me wearing obnoxious orange, I'm just one Swamprat Rodent Waki away from kin folk!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Sweet WM1. Who rehandled it?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Greg Haugh of http://loneridergrips.com/- it's handled on a WM1 "blank"- I still have the thermorun one :)

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

I've spent way too much money on knives, and in the end this puukko is what I settled on. Only .5oz heavier than my Izula too.

Pat Faulkner

@patryk10

Locale: Mid - Tennessee

It's funny ~ being sidelined due to health has given me countless time to think about various subjects, often refining my thoughts.
    I am a fan of the puukko/leuku, DHRussell:Grohmann brand ( I prefer the boat knife #3 in carbon steel). It is the current issue "survival knife" to the Canadian armed forces, has a 4" blade; 8.25" overall length; wt – unknown.Grohmann Boat Knife #3, carbon steel blade - rosewood handle

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Y'know, I'm kinda rethinking knives.

Like all other amateur hikers I carried a far-too-large knife for years. Then I started carrying one of the larger multi-tools, when they started getting popular. Now since going UL I just carried a Leatherman Squirt or Micra. But recently I found myself trying to start a fire (established NFS campsite and fire ring) in the worst conditions imaginable- rainy, constant mist, hail- and I was having the devil's own time finding dry tinder despite my epic scrounging. What I urgently needed was a real knife to hack into the dry underside of punky logs, and the Micra simply wasn't cutting it. (Pun intended.)

I may look into those near-legendary, cheap, strong Mora blades, to carry one for when such abuse is needed. (I'd definitely want the bushknife to be cheap, since I plan to abuse it.)

So, have I now come full circle? Maybe. Or, maybe I've just bumped up against my personal limits. :o)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

You know, Dean, I think finding balance between the aesthetic and the practical.

I only needed one truly miserable time to convince me that maybe I could still go with a clean, light aesthetic but carry something that would enhance my safety, warmth, and enjoyment.

Pat, that's my favorite knife, too, although I carry the stainless. Mine is ~3.5 oz, ~1.5oz for the sheath.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Would you tell me how you got the WM1 re-handled?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

certainly :)

contact Greg here http://www.loneridergrips.com/index%20Main.htm

I'm not sure on re-handling and existing knife as they are shaped slightly differently than a WM1 blank which is designed to be handled (he had these on hand- you choose the handle material), but he could certainly tell you

Mike

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

A Spyderco Clipit Civilian or a Fred Perrin La Griffe. (Thanks to Barry Eisler, author of Requiem for an Assassin)

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Right now, I use a Gerber UL LST. I am thinking of getting a neck knive, something like the RAT Izula or a Eskabar BK-14.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

I love my CRKT RSK MK5, although it might be too small for most users. It's a neck knife–but I call it my 'boob knife.' Sits very nicely and I don't notice it at all, but when I need it I can get it out one-handed. The blade's enough for normal camp tasks, and if need be you can bet your life on it.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

At one point I had one of the little Gerbers. Made the mistake of going to the airport with it and security made me either mail it home or toss it. I tossed it planning to buy a new one and never did.

Since then I've been hiking with a plastic box knife…. Harbor Freight vintage. For Christmas though I've asked for a Spyderco Ladybug Salt which is around 0.6 oz. and sharp enough to remove someone's gallbladder.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

My son gave me a Gerber Vallotton a couple of years ago. 4 oz, 2.6 inch blade. Blade stays very, very sharp and the handle has a nice grip too! I carry it everywhere.

James Rank

@gravitas

I'm an avid lightweight backpacker, but a knife is the one thing i don't skimp on when travelling on a longer distance trip. I carry a Busse 5" fixed blade (basically bombproof) and 10 years of survival skill knowledge as a backup to the contents of my backpack. The knife rides horizontally in a leather sheath on the small of my back and is there for both protection and ability to make shelter, fire, and traps as a last resort. A razor blade is a nice compliment to a backpack of supplies. It certainty makes a good skinner, fish gutter, or first aid tool…. but I wouldn't rely on it for any SHTF situations

David Ure

@familyguy

I just read Mike Clellands Ultralight Backpacking Tips and have concluded that I have never actually used my knife when backpacking except to cut cheese. Therefore, it appears to be unnecessary weight.

Alasdair Fowler

@messiahkhan

Locale: Newcastle, UK

I was going to buy a Leatherman Skeletool as my usual Leatherman Surge is way too heavy. I decided however to get the Baladeo 22G. It arrived yesterday, so I haven't had chance to test it out but it seems pretty decent, and super light weight as well.

Knife

:)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I had posted this in another thread, but to add to the fray……

I started off with a Victorinox paring knife, which is all of 0.75oz for a 3.25" serrated stainless blade with a handle. I wanted a sheath and found the Dexter Russell version with a kydex sheath. I adapted the sheath to use as a neck knife with a beaded chain to add break-away safety.
    The silicone tubing is for comfort. 2.5oz/70g total.

You can get Mora knives in the 1.8-4.1oz range, with the sheath! The Mora Allround model at the bottom is about as much knife as I can imagine carrying.

Dexter 105SC knife with BS-3 sheath

Dexter 105SC knife with BS-3 sheath and neck chain

Dexter 105SC knife with BS-3 sheath and neck chain

Mora #2/0 knife

Mora Craftline Allround knife

David Ure

@familyguy

Dale – fix the pic posting as the thread has gotten decidedly fat.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 239 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!