Topic

What knife do you carry backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What knife do you carry backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 239 total)
  • Author
    Scott Weitzenhoffer

@sweitzen

Benchmade/Doug Ritter RSK Mk-1, 3.82 oz is my EDC blade — I am considering packing a Gerber Ultralight LST instead if weight is that important — but a good, stout blade is something I don't like to skimp on.

Nick Comtois

@obscuredcelery

Gerber 06 Auto tanto (Military and LE only)Gerber 06 Auto

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Normally, I carry a Buck Hartsook Ultralite (0.5 oz).
    Buck Hartsook Ultralite

However, if I will be fishing or hunting during my trip, I carry a Buck Mayo Kaala (1.9 oz).
    Buck Mayo Kaala

I prefer to carry fixed knives in the backcountry for their reliability. S30V is my steel of choice as it stays razor sharp for a very long time.

-Sid

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

that's an interesting (and light!) knife :)

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/411

Razorblade carrier type knife.

anybody use the Gerber curve?

http://www.rei.com/product/787216

mini remix 3.4oz

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/412

list of 2010 new products.

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/products/new_items

I can't post pics on my Mac anybody else?

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

2.5 oz for a razor blade folder? Ouch. My big fixed blade doesn't even weigh that much.

-Sid

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ka-Bar Becker Necker (notice the integrated bottle opener/wire breaker)
    http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=KABKhhh11CSM&bhcd2=1260503541

or

the D. H. Russell Canadian Boat Knife
    http://www.agrussell.com/dh-russell-canadian-boat-knife/p/DHRhhh3S/

depending on my mood.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> Benchmade/Doug Ritter RSK Mk-1, 3.82 oz is my EDC blade… lighter Gerber LST

The RSK Mk-1 is a really nice blade… but I found it to be overkill for my needs. It moved from being an EDC to be part of my emergency go bag.

The Gerber LST is a decent value priced knife. I was my EDC for awhile until I lost it. My favorite light folder is the pricier Benchmade 530.

My EDC is a Victorininox Rambler which is a lot like the "Classic" except that it has a small philips head blade / bottle opener. The blade is adequate (though a bit short) for the food prep I do, I can cut through light rope when needed, the scissors are easier to use than a blade when trimming duct tape or other first aid pads / tape, I can manage my nails using the scissors and nail file, and the small flat head and Phillips head screw drivers have been useful when I need to tighten up various items.

If I am doing a lot of food preparation which needs a knife with a longer blade, I take a Benchmade 530.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have grown very fond of the 0.6oz Spyderco Ladybug

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Another vote for the Mora Military.
    Ultralight, fixed blade, quality and cheap.

I tend to cook with found wood so a fixed blade is easier to work with and the finger guard makes it a little safer than a folder.

Some of the best ultralight folders are made by Opinel. Cheap and ultralight.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on backpacking stuff that is easily lost and I have lost knives. Too many knifes are more like jewelry for men:-)

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Another vote for the Swiss army classic. I find I rarely use the blade, but I use the scissors on every trip, and I use the little file surprisingly often.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

For a folder, I carry a 3oz Benchmade 930 Kulgera. Modified 3.6" drop point w/ partial serration, excellent S30V steel, great AXIS locking mechanism, G10 scaled handle. Never let me down.

As for a fixed blade, I sometimes opt out due to the weight of knife and sheath. But they are hands down the best in survival situations and for all-around durability. Fallkniven F1 is pretty amazing, as well as all of their knives. Function and beauty – true craftsmanship.

No razor blades for me, unless I'm scraping paint off of windows.

Great to see all the responses and input on a much debated topic. I personally reduce weight elsewhere and don't worry about a scant 3 to 6 ounces on what I feel is necessary in the great outdoors. To each their own though, we've all got our preferences.

PS: crazy amount of posts, eh?! I couldn't resist joining in

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

First,

I really dig Sanad "Sid" Toukhly (Red_Fox)'s suggestions

Buck Hartsook Ultralite (0.5 oz)

Buck Mayo Kaala (1.9 oz).

Just created my own knife, first blade. Was suprisingly easy, results weren't to shabby.

Fixed blade. About 4.5 inches. Needed something for splitting wood for my DIY wood stove.

Black fiberglass bondo handle.

Weighs about 2.5 oz.

I still need to make a sheath for it, thinking about using ABS plastic. It's tough, light and easy to form.

May also slim the handle, but I'm pleased with the weight.

Sorry, no pictures yet.

Already thinking about making another. This time with a cut out handle. The plan is to wrap it in paracord. Perhaps a shorter blade, I think I was overly cautious about making the first one to short for splitting. Will see.

== Wymoning saw (blade only) ==

On a side note I'm very pleased with my wood cutting solution. Have found a 12" Wyoming blade. I previously tried a 21" bow saw blade and even though it weighed only 1.2oz and I had a place to pack it, it was overkill.

The Wyoming blade is nice because it has unidirectional teeth so I can improvise a lighter weight bow since it only cuts on the pull stroke. Admittedly it is a little trickier actually to creat a shorter bow because it needs to have a tighter arc, but I imagine with a little practice I'll have it down fast.

BTW, the Wyoming saw blad weighs about .5 oz if my scale and memory are not mistaken. (New scale, not certain of it's accuracy yet.)

Oh, one last tip. Two appropriately sized keychain rings make for great bow saw pins. I loop them from the outside of the bow in so they keep the wood from splitting. Works great.

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

I carry an Opinel no8 with a small 550 loop, it's very useful and weighs under 1.5 ounces.
    opinel line

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

take a pic sometime when you get a chance of your bow for the saw- I have an old WY saw and your right the blade is pretty light

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

AO FAST 3.0Basic Serrated Edge

these too look nice. Both by Gerber first one coming 2010.

John Fry

@m6amba

for years, I carried way too way too many, large knives on hiking trips.
    I used to carry 3-4, just cause I could, now I carry 2

This knife was purchased on a whim, and I have found myself using it so much that I am thinking about getting another, in case I break this one! (the handle is not carbon fiber, its metal)
    Buck 327 CF

on my last 2 night trip, my buddy carried some monster of a survival knife, and I carried this, he was able to whittle a stick with his, and cut chunks off the block of cheese he brought (yes he used it to cut the cheese..lol)
    meanwhile I was able to cut some cord, slice my dinner, whittle a stick, spread my chicken salad on crackers, take out a splinter, and cut a fraying shoelace…..the Buck 327 is fairly heavy for its size, outweighs my Kershaw Skyline by an ounce, but its shorter, feels sturdier in my hand, and just as sharp.

I am never without a knife of some sort, as long as i am dressed…typically i carry a CRKT m16 of some sort, i have 3 different kinds, 95% of the time, its the m16-13z, the other 5% its an m16-01k.
    from the time i was 15 till i was 24 i carried a Buck Odyssey 2, serrated, LOVED that knife, did everything with it, cut bandages, dressed squirrels, deer, cut food, whittled, cut fabrics/duct tape, bailer twine, cut sticks for shelters as a teenager, fuzz sticks for fire starting, used it with my flint to start fires, cut hoses for my car, removed a treble hook from my aunt's leg, even carried it in my tux pocket at my wedding, but one day my best friend got a CRKT M16, and when i got to use it, it was all over, the old Buck is now in the knife drawer, and it's either the M16's or the Buck 327 for everything, and the 327 for hiking, backed up by a kershaw leek, or an old buck rubber handled fixed blade that weighs 3oz. and is sharp enough to shave with

Benjamin Crowley

@benajah

Locale: West, now

I think this is the most sensible thing Ive read on this thread.
    If you go 20 miles into the jungle in Amazonia without a machete, knife, shotgun, and hammock you are crazy.
    If you fall and break a leg on the AT in the Smokies, just wait 20 minutes and someone will come along and rescue you.
    Its all about where you are going, the conditions, remoteness, etc.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

IMHO, a hiking knife should:

Prep food
    Make repairs
    Make a fire
    Improvise shelter

In about that order.

A good folding knife should have a comfortable handle, a good locking mechanism, an alloy that will hold an edge, a pocket clip, a lanyard hole, and can be opened with one hand. I don't care for serrated blades, unless it will be used for cutting rope.

Given that list, my choice is a Benchmade Griptilian. It just works, and I carry it every day.

Blade Length: 3.45"
    Blade Thickness: 0.115"
    Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
    Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
    Blade Style: 551 Modified Drop-Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs;
    Weight: 3.25oz.
    Clip: Black, Reversible, Tip-Up
    Lock Mechanism: AXIS
    Overall Length: 8.07"
    Closed Length: 4.62"

Benchmade Griptilan knife

My preferences in a fixed blade knife: comfortable non-slip handle, flat-ground stainless plain-edged blade under 5", lanyard hole, simple sheath with good retention features.

The Griptilian was designed by Mel Pardue and I just got another of his designs made by Benchmade, a fixed blade Rant model. It is as much knife as I would ever want to carry. It is a very simple strong design and would serve for any survival-oriented tasks like batoning (hitting it with a stick for splitting wood), cleaning game, etc. It is definately on the heavy side for UL consideration.

Blade Length: 4.50"
    Blade Thickness: 0.175"
    Blade Material: 440C Stainless Steel
    Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
    Blade Style: Drop-Point
    Weight: 5.90oz.
    Clip: No Clip; Sheath Included
    Lock Mechanism: Fixed
    Overall Length: 9.13"
    Closed Length: 9.13"
    Sheath Material: Black Leather; Snap-Over Closure with Belt-Loop Carry

Benchmade Rant knife

Now, these are my personal references and I have to admit that they lean to the heavier side. If I were going to recommend a basic knife for UL hiking, the Victorinox Hiker has a great feature set. Any of the Mora knives would work for a fixed blade. If you want something light and cheap for food prep and repairs, the Victorinox paring knives are excellent.

Other knives I own and like:

Mora 2010
    Victorinox paring knife
    Victorinox Classic
    Victorinox Hiker
    Leatherman Micra
    Leatherman Skeletool CX

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

I carry a Stanley mini box cutter in my pocket with my bic mini. Plastic with a tiny box cutter blade. Sharp as anything. 0.2oz. Doesn't get any more SUL than that! Most often I only use it to cut string or little useless pieces of fabric off my gear. I guess if I needed something bigger to fight wild animals or something, I'd have to use my box cutter to whittle a spear out of a nice branch… ;-)

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention… it cost $0.69 last time I was in Home Depot.

mark vasko

@vaskma

Locale: Central Ohio

I do not carry a knife. I carry folding scissors. Far more useful.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

Forget about the emergency reasons for carrying a knife, what can you do with scissors that you cannot do with a knife that makes it far more useful? I couldn't imagine they would be any good for food prep unless food prep means cutting the top off the Mountain house package. :) Field repair can be done successfully with a knife just as well as with scissors.

Box cutters are just that, box cutters. They can only make shallow cuts, usually well under an inch. The Gerber UL LST and the Spyderco Ladybug have a 2" locking blade and are the same weight as your box cutter. They are too small for me but a little knife is better than no knife IMO.

Joseph

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

Locale: Texas!

I love benchmades.

mark vasko

@vaskma

Locale: Central Ohio

Sorry Josephe, I disagree. Scissors do everything I need when it comes to cutting. I prefer to travel carry-on and prefer to go through security without a full body cavity search. My folding scissors make it through every time. Mini box cutters and knifes do not. Scissors are great for cutting toe and finger nails, blister repair, bandages, food packages, cloth, tent lines, etc. However, if you like full body cavity searches, stay with box cutters and knifes it works every time.

My folding scissors weigh 200 grains, fold down to 1 1/4 inches, and do not look like scissors when folded.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

No, I do not like full body cavity searches. Thats a strange remark but whatever.

I wouldn't let something like airline regualtions determine what I would carry on a backpacking trip. You could send a knife and other banned items to a post office near where you will be backpacking beforehand. Make sure to include a tracking number so you know it will make it there and ask them to hold the package for you.

But if scissors work for you thats fine. I just can't see that they would be more useful.

Joseph

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 239 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!