Topic

What knife do you carry backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What knife do you carry backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 239 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

While I have many knives I carry backpacking two really get the most use.
    The first is A hand forged knife patterned after the knife the early 20th century outdoors writer Horace Kephart designed for himself as a hunting, kitchen and woodcraft knife. Made by Matt Lesniewski of ML knives from 1095 carbon steel and dark Walnut. The 4" spear point blade is convexed to a scary sharp edge. It only weighs about 5 or 6 ounces, about as much as most folders.
    ML Kephart

The other is a Wenger Evo Grip that probably sees the most use of all my knives. Gotta love the SAK's.
    Wenger EvoGrip

Please! No offensive remarks about my or other peoples choice of cutlery. I count ounces when it comes to other gear so the weight of my knives doesn't matter much. Is it a tiny swiss army knife, Leatherman or a big bowie! So……….. what do you carry?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Mini Buck, 0.67 oz single lock blade.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Gerber LST 0.5 oz.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Gerber LST

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Joseph,
    On my last backpacking trip I took a Stromeng 9 inch Leuku, plus a small plastic Marttiinni M571. This was just a short 4 mile hike that involved building a fire in pretty wet conditions so I was not too concerned about weight.

Normally I'd just take a small folder, my current favorite is a Fallkniven U2 (1.5 oz) or a Spyderco Delica (2 oz).

In addition to the above I've always got my Victorinox classic too.

Dan

Dave T

@davet

Philip Mitchell

@phil_mitchell

Locale: Florida

I have a Bucklite (#422?) folding knife I like to carry. It is an older model that I believe is discontinuted. Weight is about 2.5 ounces with a 4.25 inch blade

A. B.

@tomswifty

Who cares if topics come up frequently? What are you implying? Why do you care?

Also, the search function sucks.

And to actually add to the conversation at hand: I take a Leatherman multi-tool that was given to me as a gift. I think I would prefer a small pen knife and a folding saw.

Dave T

@davet

Kyle Hetzer
    Spectator

@ghost93

Locale: Western MD

Very nice blade.. Ive always been a fan of buschcraft style blades. It looks similar to my BRKT North Star that ill carry. I too like the benfits of a fully convexed blade (ie the BRKT's)

As for what I normally carry, Ill always carry my benchmade RSK MK 1 (model #552). Yep, its a little heavier than some's blade of choice, but thats ok, Im willing to lug the extra ounces =)

Dewey Riesterer

@kutenay

That Lesniewski knife is gorgeous, almost identical to an OSK model I am having made by Charles May of Missippi at present in green micarta and SV30. This is an extremely versatile and practical tool for backpack and other wilderness travel and will handle any task you can imagine.

I never go backpacking without a decent sheath knife with me and always carry a Leatherman Wave or Charge TTi as well. A light pack is important, but, so is having the tools you need when you require them and a good kinfe is so useful that I will never be without one.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

1/2 oz.
    Knife Blade
    Nail file (Which I like to grind and sharpen to use as a spare knife blade)
    Nail Cleaner/Small Screwdriver
    Scissors
    Tweezers
    Toothpick

On my Alaska Traverse (www.bucktrack.com) I used a Leatherman Juice S2
    4.4 oz.
    Knife
    Needlenose Pliers
    Regular Pliers
    Wire Cutters
    Hard-wire Cutters
    Extra-small Screwdriver
    Small Screwdriver
    Medium/Large Screwdriver
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Scissors
    Bottle Opener
    Can Opener

Adam
    Spectator

@akowis

I use a Victorinox Classic as well.

.6 oz
    Knife Blade
    Nail file/cleaner
    Scissors
    Tweezers

I removed the toothpick and I am attempting to find a way to remove the plastic covering.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Kershaw's folding TwoCan – 0.830 oz

A surgically sharp blade

Blade

with a serrated scissors option

Sissor

Easy to hold and use…

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

To get useful search results, use Google instead of the built-in BPL seach tool. Just go to google and start your search with "site:backpackinglight.com" then enter your search terms as usual.

And to Evan… it is bad forum etiquette to ask a frequently asked question. That's what FAQ's are for and why they came into being. It's one of the basic rules of etiquette that has been in place since before there was a world wide web (back in the Usenet days).

That said… I'm not sure if BPL has an FAQ… but they should. That or a selection of "sticky" threads.

I personally don't mind these questions coming up again and again… but technically speaking… it is considered bad form. Again though, with a useless forum search tool and no FAQ… we can't really blame the users.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I took a Bark River Knife and Tool PSK on my last trip, good knife. As I watched my dad slice an avocado with the handle of his Lexan spoon, it did occur to me that I bring it more for pyschological comfort than real use. If I was looking to cut a couple ounces, it would be a leading candidate, to be replaced by a straight razorblade…

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

The Fallkniven U2, hell any fallkniven is a really great choice. I have had mine for about a year and a half now. Have you convexed the edge on it yet? Besides the U2 I have 2 F1's and one S1. Some of the best production knives out there IMO.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

I have a OSK in s30v and black canvas micarta ordered right now from Charles May. I should be getting it in January. Really pricey but I am willing to pay it.

I am the same way, never enter the woods without a fixed blade.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

So bringing up this topic is bad forum etiquette? Even if it was, just you saying that on this thread is bad forum etiquette. Guess what? your way off topic, how rude…….. :)

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

For those of you who carry bigger knives, what do you use them for? Real question, not rhetorical…

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I have a CRKT Peck but tha Gerber LST sure looks nice!

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

On a multiday hike I have no use for a big knife and have hiked knifeless (although I carried fingernail clippers and used these to cut leukotape).

But for dayhikes I add a big fixed blade knife; in fact I use my Dad's Boy Scout knife although I'd like to have a Mora Scout knife (fixed blade, plastic handle, 2.25 oz, About $5.00). This is carried instead of a shelter and sleeping system because in a survival situation, I would certainly resort to old fashioned woodcraft and a big raging fire.

Edited later to add:

Although I have hiked knifeless, it was only for three days and because I left my "Wenger Titanium Esquire" accidentally behind. This great but sadly discontinued knife features a serrated blade and titanium housing and is my everyday knife. During my typical backpacking trip, it rarely gets used for more than a bit of tape cutting and hangnails. Around the house and in the city it gets constant and varied use.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I have not convexed the edge of my U2, but I'll be sharpening it on a leather strop with compound, which over time will gradually convex the edge.

I've also got an F1, that was one the first nice fixed blades I bought, and I really like it. Yes, I'd like to get another Fallkniven some day. I really like convex edges.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

"For those of you who carry bigger knives, what do you use them for? Real question, not rhetorical…"

I guess it depend on your sytle of hiking, or the current hike that you are on.

I own several knives and tools that I may consider, based on my needs of the upcomming hike.

If you will be on trail with many others, you can size down to a simple folding knife.

If you are in bush country and are off trail a bigger full tang knife would be invaluable if you need it. I carry an on person survival kit also. (love that bush knife Joseph- I just bouhgt a case XX hunting knife)

My definition of light and yours may be different. I fish, hunt, backpack and have incorporated lighter techniques in each. (kind of hard to filet that fish with a razor blade)

FYI

Dave

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 239 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!