Topic

Roomy, lightweight, synthetic bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Roomy, lightweight, synthetic bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Pope

@aaronpope

Greetings,

I was looking for some advice for a new bag for my winter/spring sleeping system while backcountry skiing.

I ski primarily in the California (Tahoe, Mammoth, Shasta) but may be doing trips the Cascades this year as well. Temps at night usually range from 0F – 30F.

In the past, I’ve used my old 4lb, 20F bag on top of my winter, 3/4 Ultralight Thermorest. I always take my BD firstlight tent (I’ve had some interesting weather experiences over the past years and feel happy in a tough, single-wall tent). This system has worked fine, although often I wore long underwear and mid-weight fleece tops and bottoms to bed and a hat. I tend to sleep very warm.

However, this past winter I bought a Patagonia DAS jacket and Mountain Hardwear Chugach pants. I discovered that they are MUCH warmer than my old fleece layers, and I now look forward to being able to shed some of my sleeping bag weight.

So I’m looking for a synthetic, breathable bag with the room to wear my insulating layers. I think for my needs, I only need a 35-40F bag. The parka and pants, along with softshells and a lightweight top should keep me warm down to 0F. Down is out because it sometimes rains in the Sierras, and I need to be able to dry out the entire system while sleeping.

I have comtemplated the Marmot Pounder, but worry that it would be too constrictive and neutralize the clothing. I’ve also considered a quilt, but have heard complaints that they create too many cold spots during the winter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aaron

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

If your worried about losing loft and being constricted you can’t go past the quilt. It’s true that you get a draft when you roll, but you quickly learn how to turn in a quilt. If your up for it you could make one using s Ray-way kit. They are selling all their stock, and it gives you the option to cut it as large as you like. Also they are the only quilts that I have seen with the draft stopper. A fantastic idea if you ask me. you sould also go with the fanatic fringe quilts, I’ve not used one but all reports say they are good.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

try the mont bell website. they have a wide variaty of temp ranges in synthetic and down bags
    I have a down bag and it is the most comforatable bag I have ever used due to the strech in the baffles

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I also have a hoodless 40* bag no longer made. but it has their exeloft fill. it is very compressible and light for a synthetic fiber.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools