Topic

Steripen Usage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Usage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hey steripeners,

Just got a steripen adventurer, and am now rethinking my water strategy.

I'm wondering what containers others are using for treating water.

I've been using aquamira and kleerwater, in conjunction with 2 1L platy's. I was typically carrying 2L of water. I would generally carry 2L so that when I finished one of the platy's I can refill it, treat the water, and start drinking from the second platy. This allowed me to keep moving without having to wait for 15-30 minutes.

My plan now is to take a 1L platy that will be empty and used only for camp in conjunction with a bottle that I will use during the day for drinking, probably in the 20oz to 1 L range. Just bought a Nalgene wide mouth 32 oz bottle that weighs 3.8 oz. It's much heavier than a platy, but actually lighter than my previous method since I'd only be carrying 1L water max while hiking.

I've looked around for various suitable PET bottles with a wide mouth that might be suitable but haven't really found anything yet.

Several options I can think of:

1. Use an existing part of kit to treat water. I could use my pot but prefer not too since I like storing my cook kit in it.

2. Use a separate dedicated container for treating water, like a platy with the top cut off. This option seems good but it's an extra piece of gear to keep track of.

3. Use a suitable drinking bottle with a wide enough mouth and that is not too tall so that it will work good with the steripen. This would be my prefered method.

Kris Thornton

@kthornton

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nalgene also do a 32 oz softsided water container like the platy called the Cantene that has the same size wide mouth as the normal Nalgene. It weighs about 50g (1.7 oz). I use this with the Steripen prefilter to treat the water and then if needed transfer it to a 1.8L Platy hoser.

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I scoured the grocery store until I found a wide mouth light weight mayonaise bottle, about 1L capacity. Dumped the gunk out of it and cleaned it up. I use it with the steripen and as my extra capacity bottle around camp or for long stretches between water sources. It weighs inbetween the nalgene (which i don't carry) and the 1L platy (I do carry). I've experimented with using the pot but it doesn't work well for me personally.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hi Kris,

I thought about the nalgene cantene, but in the steripen review on this site Mr Caffin does not recommend using that container because of it's height and the possibility of the UV not reaching the bottom of the container. I'm not sure though if the container in that article is a 32 oz canteen or a larger one. I haven't seen one of these in person but from pictures it looks like it's taller than a standard 32 oz Nalgene.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Daniel:

What might work for you is a collapsible 1L that's wider and squatter. One option is to buy a larger size Platy (say 3L) and then cut off the top two-thirds or thereabout. Et voila — a modified 1L platy with a nicely gusseted bottom that's a lot wider /squatter than a regular 1L platy!

Just thinking out loud, but if the modified Platy is squat enough, you might even be able to use the smaller Steripen instead of the regular one — and this weight saving will more than make up for the weight of the modified platy.

Kris Thornton

@kthornton

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've got the Steripan classic which I think has a longer UV tube on it than the Adventurer. The Cantene is definately longer and thinner than the standard Nalgene bottles so that could be an issue if the UV tube isn't as long.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of how much a difference there is between the two models and how well they work in different sized containers.

I was under the impression that as long as the water is clear and you get some good swirling going in the container the UV would do its job. Guess I'll find out later this week! I'm heading out on the West Coast Trail with the Steripen on Friday.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Ben,
    I've thought about using a large platy. I've got a 2L one that I rarely use. Cutting the top off would result in a nice container for water sterilization. That's a pretty good solution. My main objection would be that it would be another piece of dedicated gear to keep track of. Re the steripen, I believe I have the smallest one currently (or at least the lightest model)

Kris,
    I too have though that if you swirl the water you would get good mixing of the water. It might be OK but it's hard to say. I'm guessing though that if you swirl and mix the water it will all get treated, but perhaps for less time? I'm not sure.

Tim,
    I'll have to start looking at the supermarket isles more closely. No Mayo jar for me though, just the thought that there was mayo in it would send me puking :).I have not tried using my pot for sterilization so I'm not sure if it would work for me or not. A pot is the ideal shape and size, plus I'm already carrying it. My main issue would be that I carry my entire cook kit (stove, cup, windscreen, utensils, etc) in a nice tidy package in my pot, so I'd have to figure out another method of storing that stuff, or have to remove it from the pot every time I want to treat water. Additionally, I'd have to remove my backpack every time I want to sterilize water.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Daniel:

This goes back to thinking about each and every gear piece as part of an overall system. But since you've already purchased the lightest/shortest Steripen model, you'll have to match it with an appropriately wide-mouth and squat container for it to purify properly…

A narrow mouth Platy obviously won't work, but I don't think any of the tall wide-mouth containers will either. The UV tube on your model is simply too short! If you look at Steripen's website, the small model is used to purify a small glass of water! But when in doubt, the best way is to ask Steripen directly. I find them quite helpful and upfront about the benefits and limitations of their products.

Separately, I too store my entire kitchen inside my cookpot, and would hate it immensely if I have to tear open the pack and take everything out of the pot in order to use it as a water treatment 'basin' — and then having to towel dry the pot and put everything back just seem awfully tedious. Reading your post above, you likely feel the same.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

I've used my Adventurer effectively with the 1 L Nalgene bladders (similar to a Platy) and have not had any problems. I can't speak for the other Steripen models, but with the Adventurer, you have the option of purifying 16 oz or 32 oz so you should be ok with the soft sided Nalgene containers. (Though it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use a container bigger than 1 L. Unless you were purifying in the 1 L and transferring to the larger one.)

Ryan

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Interestingly, I was checking out the steripen website and there is a link to a youtube video (this is an official steripen video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyvCLBFIFZY
    where they are demonstrating a steripen journey. This has a tapered rubber like piece next to the light that can seal to a PET bottle with a narrow opening. In the video they are demonstrating using the steripen with a pet bottle that looks to be of about a 20oz or so size. They are inserting the steripen into the bottle, inverting the bottle (presumably so that the water can contact the electrodes), and sterilizing the water while gently shaking the container. The light only goes a few inches into the container yet it appears with the shaking of the water sufficient sterilization is achieved. Based on that video I'm tending to think that using a 32 oz Nalgene cantene might be OK if the water is stirred sufficiently.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I consistantly use my Steripen Adventurere with a 1L Nalgene widemouth canteen (collasible). I shake the water around while treating it and am confident that it is effective.

Note: I prefilter any cloudy water so that the light can penetrate throughout.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have the Steripen Journey and have thought about this too. Good insight here. I would love to use the 32 ounce canteen with this…..has me wondering

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Daniel,

If carrying 16 oz. between sources is enough for you, the one pint Nalgene wide mouth HDPE bottle works well with the Adventurer. I keep one shock corded to a shoulder strap. Weight is 2.6 oz.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hey Dondo,

I just happened to buy that Nalgene 16 oz widemouth, along with the 1L Nalgene canteen to try out. Might be able to get by with the 16 oz on some hikes, at least when the weather is not too hot. I'm going to give it a try.

How do you shock cord it to a shoulder strap? do you just attach it at the top with the bottom loose? Or do you have it attached top and bottom?

Thanks

jed chapman
    BPL Member

@jchaps

Locale: pacific northwest

So what are people doing to ensure that any drops/moisture on the nalgene/platypus/canteen above the water level gets purified when using the steripen? From what I understand, the steripen will only work on water that is below the surface.

If there is a small amount of untreated water on the rim of the bottle, wouldn't that just get mixed in with the purified water when you pour it into your platypus or drink from the container?

This has been the biggest concern for me so far. I don't own the steripen, but it's probably just a matter of time before I buy one. One method I've been thinking of (which probably involves too many parts) is to carry a gatorade bottle or something similar with the top cut off so that the steripen can fit inside. Also carry a small funnel with a prefilter, as well as something small and light to pour untreated water from the river through the funnel and into the gatorade bottle. That way, the only part of the gatorade bottle that comes in contact with the untreated water will be below the water level when the steripen is inserted. Then dump the gatorade bottle into a platypus. Too complicated? Maybe just use a widemouth nalgene canteen along with steripens prefilter like at the end of that video?

Also, can bacteria, viruses or protozoa survive outside of a wet environment. How long should something that came in contact with potentially contaminated water be dry before it's safe to drink out of?

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Jed,
    You could cut the bottom inch off a 1L Platy, then use the main part of the bottle inverted. Fill it up with water and when you are done undo the push pull spout and drain the contents into your water bottle. Then your spout could also help act as a funnel to help you fill your new bottle.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use an old Gregory amlminum foil/mylar hydration bladder W/ a small mouth. This requires I carry a seperate water bottle to fill it when using a SteriPen Adventurer. (When I used my PUR filter pump I used the quick disconnect hose fitting setup.)

Since I carry a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in my Dana "Wet Rib" front pouch for flavored energy drinks I also use it to fill my hydration bladder. When filling the 1 liter bottle with raw water I "filter" it W/ a # 2 coffee filter and flexible funnel. Keeps out bugs & small children.

I ALWAYS swirl the SteriPen, as directed, to be sure all the water gets exposed to UV light. So far no problema.

But, as a backup I carry Katadyn chlorine dioxide tabs as well.

Eric

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>How do you shock cord it to a shoulder strap? do you just attach it at the top with the bottom loose? Or do you have it attached top and bottom?

I attach it at both the top and bottom. The top loop goes around the neck of the bottle and the bottom loop keeps the bottle from swinging around. Cord locks are useful on the loops to make the tension adjustable.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

When using a SteriPen on a week long trip do you carry extra batteries or just check the charge in the pen's batteries & use only them?

I am a "belt and susbenders" type so I carry extra lithium batteries.

Eric

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

I suspect this won't work with the lighter Adventurer model, but with the Classic a 1 litre Aquafina water bottle works great: you can insert the Classic fully into the bottle, up to the hilt, invert and shake a little. The fit is almost perfect, but as there is no seal you get a little dripping down the handle while the bottle's inverted. But cheap, easy, though non-BPA free, method.

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

No one has mentioned this yet so i thought I'd see what you think. If you take a wide mouth PET bottle like a Gatorade or other sports drink bottle, cut a hole in the lid to fit the Steripen Adventure, then add three layers of duct tape to form a gasket(field repairable?), you can use the adventure like the classic with a very minor weight penalty. It's 7 grams for both the pre-filter cap i made and the "adventure gasket." It also allows you to shake the water around vigorously, thoroughly treating every last drop in the bottle.

the bottleprefilterhole cut in cap, without duct tapeAdventure Gasket

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

So total extra weight is just the lid and washer? neat

But how does the pumpkin get in the act?

Cheers

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

As I posted earlier, I use the Steripen Adventurer with a collapsable Nalgene canteen (wide-mouth). The advantage with is that you can squeeze the canteen while treating to bring the water level to the brim of the mouth. That way, there are no untreated water drops remaining near the top of the container.

Also, no tricky inversion is necessary, a benefit at least for those of us that are less than optimally coordinated. Of course, I could simply claim that I'm taking a shower :-)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My experience with the Steripen Adventurer was rather brief. It went back to REI after its first trip.

First, over half the time I couldn't even manage to turn it on because the switch was so stiff. Fortunately this was a family trip with my son and his two children, so I could call on my son to help. Even he had to work hard at it. I've since read quite a few complaints from other women who couldn't manage the switch, either.

Another complaint was that the thing kept aborting before the cycle was over. I had the instructions with me, read them carefully several times and had my son (electrical engineer) read them, and the signal was definitely the aborted cycle signal, not the low battery signal. It did not act like this at home. The water was clear–nothing to pre-filter out.

A third complaint was that this gizmo is definitely not suitable for a group unless each person treats his/her own water. It seemed as though I was sitting by the buggy creek forever, stirring and stirring. Of course, as mentioned above, it took two or three attempted cycles before I finally got a complete quart. Multiply this by 8-10 quarts per day. After a day and a half of this nonsense, the Steripen went back into my pack and I used the Katadyn MicroPur I took as backup.

A fourth complaint was the issue of the untreated water on the threads and outside of the Nalgene. I wasn't worried about that small amount of potential contamination for me, but I was very concerned for my grandchildren.

A fifth complaint was the weight issue. The weight of the Steripen Adventurer sounds very attractive, but it does not include batteries. Add the batteries, two sets of spares (I wouldn't go out for a week with less) and the required wide-mouth bottle (my water containers are Platypus), and the combination is heavier than my ULA Amigo Pro and almost as heavy as most pump filters.

Needless to say, after the trip the Steripen went straight back to REI.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

We used the Adventurer model on the WT3 trek and I felt it worked very well in the manner we used it. We carried 2 pens for a group of 6 and no spare batteries for around 4.5 days. Each of us carried a single 600-900 mL pot/cup and we only filtered suspect water on breaks or when drinking cold suspect water at meals. All meal water was boiled as was all water for hot drinks. At breaks we would pass the pens around. I can't recall any complaints about the switch and we only had a few instances where they cut off due to bad coordination with keeping the contact points submerged. We carried no water while walking so we usually only treated small amounts at a single sitting.

Having said all that, I played with an original pen on a trip last year and found carrying it + nalgene + prefilter was too much work for me. I currently use the ULA Amigo which is nice since I can grab my water and hang it to filter while I setup camp.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools