Topic

My UL gear list (6.5 pound base wt.)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My UL gear list (6.5 pound base wt.)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Ok… I’ve been reading these forums for months but have yet to post a gear list… so here it is :) This is for shoulder season in Canada (i.e… no bug protection and a bit more clothing). This will actually be my gear list for an overnight trip this weekend. I know that my Big 3 is not the lightest setup… but it’s what I’ve found works for me. I can’t sleep on foam for instance… not at the camp sites I have to use (hard compacted ground… national park… not allowed to stealth camp… where i could seek out some duff). I also needed a slightly warmer bag than most of you… I’m guessing. One addition I want to make is switching to a lighter pack. The Mariposa would be great for an AT thru-hike but is overkill for a weekend 5-6 pound base. I have a MLD Prophet 25 on order. My stuff should all fit in it and if not… I can always get a stuff sac for the sleeping bag.

Big 3
    ============================
    MontBell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3: 23.2 oz
    Gossamer Gear Mariposa Pack (Body + Shoulder Pads): 14.6 oz
    Thermarest ProLite 3 (Short): 13.4 oz
    Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter (with guylines & clips): 9.7 oz
    Water Wing Pillow (Canadian Tire): 1.5 oz
    Gossamer Gear Pack Liner: 1.3 oz
    Gossamer Gear Polycryo Ground Cloth: 1.3 oz
    8 Gossamer Gear Tite-Lite Stakes: 0.2 oz

subtotal: 4.1 pounds

Clothes (Pack)
    MEC Night Lite Vest: 7.6 oz
    Hind Long Sleeve Running Shirt (for sleeping/camp): 5.7 oz
    O2 Rainshield Jacket: 5.4 oz
    MEC Silk Long Johns: 4.6 oz
    Wright 3/4’s socks (sleeping/spare): 1.6 oz
    MEC Fleece Hat: 1.4 oz

subtotal: 1.9 pounds

Clothes (Wear)
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Shoes: 25.8 oz
    Misty Mountain Shorts: 9.6 oz
    MEC Button Down Synthetic Hiking Shirt: 8.5 oz
    Tilley LTM5 Hat: 3.1 oz
    MEC Power Dry Briefs: 2.0 oz
    Wright 3/4’s socks: 1.6 oz

subtotal: 3.3 pounds

Cooking / Hydration
    Homemade Heineken Esbit Stove (pot/lid/stand/screen/lifter/burner cup) : 2.2 oz
    BMW UrsaLite Bear Hang System: 2.1 oz
    Source 1L Canteen: 1.0 oz
    Source 1L Canteen: 1.0 oz
    Water Treatment Kit (repackaged in two 10 mL bottles): 0.7 oz
    Mini Bic Lighter: 0.4 oz
    85 cent Scout Shop Spork: 0.4 oz

subtotal: 0.5 pounds

Miscellaneous (Pack)
    1 Oral-B Brush-Up: 0.0 oz
    First Aid & Repair: 1.5 oz
    MSR Pack Towel (Small): 0.6 oz
    Toilet Paper (2 Shop towels cut up): 0.3 oz
    Emergency Firestarting Kit (sparker and 4 tinders): 0.2 oz
    Dr. Broners Soap (5 mL in BMW micro dropper): 0.1 oz
    Ditty Bag: 0.1 oz
    Ear Plugs (for sleeping in storms, etc.): 0.0 oz

subtotal: 0.2 pounds

Miscellaneous (Wear/Carry)
    Komperdell C3 Poles (Womens, straps & trim removed): 10.2 oz
    Nike Triax Elite SDM Watch: 2.3 oz
    Victorinox Classic Jackknife with plastic sides removed (on retractable cord): 0.6 oz
    Freedom Micro Photon Light – White (on lanyard): 0.2 oz
    Small Red Whistle (on lanyard): 0.1 oz

subtotal: 0.8 pounds

Total Base (pack before food & water): 6.5 pounds

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I understand the extra weight you packed for the big three. but have you ever considered a torsolite or uberlight instead of the thermarest?

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I have considered the torso-lite… but I’m a front sleeper… so I find I need a pad under my knees. The torso-lite is pretty tiny!!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I sleep in all positions–the torso-lite plus my pack
    for legs/knees is more than comfortable(for me).

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

“I have considered the torso-lite… but I’m a front sleeper… so I find I need a pad under my knees. The torso-lite is pretty tiny”

David,
    I’m also a front (stomach) sleeper, plus I don’t sleep well on foam pads. I had a prolite 3 too and it’s pretty confortable but I’m now using a combination that to me is more comfortable than the prolite 3 short plus more verstatile, at the same weight. I use this combo with a Gossamer Gear G5 pack.

I use a combination of the BMW Torsolite and a Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso pad. The total weight is 13.25 oz with a total legth of 61 inches (32 inch Torsolite + 29 inch Thinlight). That makes it 13 inches longer than the prolite 3 and the torsolite is actually more comfortable and a little warmer than the prolite 3. The thinlight is almost the same thickness as the torsolite so you can’t really feel that ridge or “dropoff” from the edge of the pad.

This system has several advantages over the prolite 3 at the same weight:

1. Longer length (61 inches vs 48)

2. Thinglight torso pad works better as frame pad in a Gossamer Gear pack than the inflatable pad.

3. Don’t need to carry repair kit for torsolite since you can always reverse pads (thinlight under torso with torsolite under legs)

4. System is a little bit warmer and more comfortable.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Thanks for the ideas Daniel… that’s very cool… I’d thought of the idea before of bringing a small lightweight pad for my legs (which would work better as a pack ‘frame’)… but discounted the idea because it would add weight, and I could just use clothes. The idea that I could swap pads in case the inflatable one deflated never occured to me though. That’s brilliant. I also never thought of using two pads where the inflatable one was torso length… so you end up with a system that is actually the same weight as a 3/4 prolite. That’s cool. Still though, I’m worried that torsolite pad is so tiny… i mean… it tapers to 12 inches!!! It is a great idea though… same weight… more length… more functional.

Any other comments on my list are more than welcome BTW :)

David Reid

@davidr

I also use the torsolight pad along with the Gossamer Gear pad. This combination works great for me. I also sleep in all positions.

Another advantage is when it gets really cold. I was out last weekend and it dipped to 27…I was able to stagger the pads in order to better insulate my lower body since the pack alone did not work very well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools