Topic

Hardshell for Guiding in Denali

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hardshell for Guiding in Denali

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

I'm going to be guiding hikes in Denali National Park all summer. This will be my first hiking season in interior Alaska as well as the first time my gear will be getting used every day, so I'm having to reevaluate much of my kit.

Most of my items are holding up well to scrutiny, but my rain gear is not. While I've used a Gatewood Cape for two seasons with great success, a silnylon poncho is simply not an acceptable option up here. My other raingear, Dri Ducks, won't be able to stand up to regular abuse.

Here's what I need:

Durable
    All of my hiking will be off trail, and a good deal will be mild bushwhacking. I need something that can handle some abrasion and the occasional snag.

Stormproof
    Weather in Denali in the summer can get nasty, and I'll be hiking rain or shine. I need something that keeps wet and cold out, dry and comfortable in.

Breathable
    Again, I might have to hike for extended periods, so breathability will be important.

Light
    Obviously, I want something that's as light as possible while fulfilling my other needs. However, I will be carrying pack that can handle a lot of weight, and I won't be trying to win any contests.

So far, I've narrowed my options down to three jackets. Some have already been ruled out (Patagonia offerings are heavy, the Isotope isn't breathable enough, Golite is either one or the other). These are what's left.

Weigh in, especially if you have experience in sub-arctic climates and/or guiding positions.

OR Zealot
    Pros
    Light (7.7 oz)

Cons
    Less full featured
    Significantly less breathable

Mont-Bell Peak Shell
    Pros
    Full featured (3-way hood, pit zips, hand pockets)
    Very breathable

Cons
    Heavy (11 oz)

Integral Designs eVENT Thru Hiker Jacket
    Pros
    Full featured
    Extremely breathable

Cons
    Expensive
    Heavy (11.5 oz)

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I don't have any experience guiding or in Alaska, but here in New England we have pretty cold and humid winters and I think if I were in your position I would go for the ID Thruhiker. The extra coverage and breathability will probably be worth the extra weight over the Zealot while you are standing around in freezing cold rain waiting for your clients.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools